C3lube4 (Medium).JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 134

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The C3 clutches ( 3rd and 5th gear ) have always been a problem in the Alli because it is the hardest working clutch. When 3rd gear applies the C3s pull the engine rpm's down and heat the clutches. Then the C3 must release for the C2s for 4th and C3 is pulsed off ( not a clean release )which heats the C3 even further. Shortly after C3 is applied again for 5th which further heats the clutches which have not cooled off yet. There is very little lubrication for C3 which means there is no oil soaking to cool the clutches. C3 always fails prematurely because of this. We thought in the past that they were loaded too much from power and also thought we did not have an even apply because they were always burnt on the inside. The C3 is only 40% loaded when applied so that killed that idea and we made larger flatter apply pistons and it did not help one bit. I fixed the tie up problem with C2/C3 and it did not help. Then I looked at the oil to lubricate the C3s and found out there wasn't any. I gave it some now. I tapped off the main pressure port under bell housing and ran a line to each side of the Alli directly into C3. This should prove interesting. This mod can be retroed to any Alli without trans removal or disassembly.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
I see you changed your mind on the line routing, couldn't get the right bolt/stud? Looks great anyhow! What will the $$$ be on these babies?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
This lube setup will help any Alli 1000 out there. The 6 speed Alli will heat the C3s even more because of an extra heat cycle it has to go through ( C3 releasing once more for C4 to apply in 6th ).