Another broken LBZ piston

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
henry, is there a kit that has pretty much everything you need to rebuild a motor? i know alot is RTV and then you have all the reuseable ones. but what about everything else? thanks

I will get something worked up for you do you want all the freeze plugs for the block and heads also and only the o ring and gaskets that I would replace or everything that should be replaced and you can mark off what you dont want ?

SHOTZY

<"Whats next??"
Aug 27, 2008
melbourne, fl
My buddies 07 LBZ started skipping and running rough, he pulled a code for a misfire thought it needed an injector, while he had the injector out we decided to look in the hole with a boroscope, yep piston broken!!

Paulsbrokenpiston.jpg

Really sorry to hear. Hopefully the block is still good. In which case I would hone it, replace the bad piston and have all of them delipped. A (good) local machine shop should be able to do this for you. However, if the money is there, call Guy at Socal. :D

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
I will get something worked up for you do you want all the freeze plugs for the block and heads also and only the o ring and gaskets that I would replace or everything that should be replaced and you can mark off what you dont want ?

dont need any freeze plugs, and should prob do everything that should be replaced and if i dont need it i will jsut mark it off. thanks

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah

depending on the RPM that could ne real high or even low :D at 4k rpm 38 deg doesnt scare me an inch , but at 2800 that will flat out break stuff .
My tune had 30 degree maxtiming and 3000 pulse width.
everything is stock with the fueling system.

for every one esle , I rode in Darels ( tractor) truck about 2 hours before the psiton went , he came out to see me to get the trans built and it popped on his way home, that truck never went above 1600 deg and wasnt even turned up that much (475-500 hp) , the stock turbo was cleaning up the fuel still, i still cant belive it :( .

Last edited:

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
This truck was running a decent race/pull tune since it was new it has 40k of serious beating on it....... It has always fuel rattled pretty bad, it did kick butt pulling for a few years though;) he is replacing the whole short block, he got a good deal on a very low mileage LMM motor, swapping all his stuff over, he was running water meth for a while too?? It made 1790* in the exhaust, I just took my LB7 apart with 100k+ and the pistons look mint compared to his at 40k!!

He has a set of 30 over extrude hone injectors, should he run them? Will it help the pistons??

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Not that I now anything but a cracked piston if not found defective that cracked not melted ,would make me believe timing would be the culprit.

Force is force something gotta give. Alright I'm just bored :D

Last edited:

tractor

Mar 19, 2009
Spring Creek,NV
I would think Idaho Rob knows how to tune a truck.
I would bet this same tune is running on alot of trucks,I think I just drew the short straw.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I would think Idaho Rob knows how to tune a truck.
I would bet this same tune is running on alot of trucks,I think I just drew the short straw.

I just don't see how EGT's crack pistons . Seems like there might be inconsistence in the manufacturing or in the raw material used. That is very possible causing hit or miss cracked pistons. Other than that I have to say it's timing. I'm just thinking out-loud

I'm just an observer no harm no foul I dunno who's tuning your running.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I just don't see how EGT's crack pistons . Seems like there might be inconsistence in the manufacturing or in the raw material used. That is very possible causing hit or miss cracked pistons. Other than that I have to say it's timing. I'm just thinking out-loud

I'm just an observer no harm no foul I dunno who's tuning your running.

EGT's are a direct representation of how hot the piston is getting , it can def lead to the piston failing even if from heat cold extreme cycles it can make the casting waeker , i personally belive the LBZ piston failures are falt out bad casting / crummy pistons , some get good ones other get the crummy ones , luck of the draw really .

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
x2 on the luck........iplenty of stock lbz running big tunes without piston failures. ive been running the 225 ppe tune for 30k(130k).......i wouldnt be surprised if a piston let go. but then again iive been lucky.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
EGT's are a direct representation of how hot the piston is getting , it can def lead to the piston failing even if from heat cold extreme cycles it can make the casting waeker , i personally belive the LBZ piston failures are falt out bad casting / crummy pistons , some get good ones other get the crummy ones , luck of the draw really .

I can't really argue with in bold that would cause the piston to crack. Perhapa that's why you see some breaking while driving like a grandmother weak metal hot cold cycle.

Otherwise the luck of the draw seems like the other most likely source. Do 'most' cracks run right along the same line of the wrist pin? I just find this an interesting conversation. I know I'm late or behind information if this has been discussed in depth.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Would it be possible to replace the pistons without pulling the entire engine out? I don't think so but just wondering. If it wasn't so expensive it would be nice to be able to just put pistons in and forget about it before it even happens.

The motor has to come out