Alternative vehicles to own other than a Silverado

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
I'm really digging the lifted S-10, does anyone know which diesel engines can fit in one without a hood modification?

picture.php

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'm really digging the lifted S-10, does anyone know which diesel engines can fit in one without a hood modification?

picture.php
Depends on how lifted Lift it high enough and you could stuff a Cat under the hood.

I'd think most of the smaller diesels from cars would fit. Not sure you'd get a full size I6 or V8 in there without doing what I jokingly suggested, and hanging the engine down below the front suspension. Though I guess that precludes 4x4, if you care about that.

I owned a gas 2013 Cruze with a tune my brother and I wrote, and drove a stock Cruze diesel. As stock, that diesel was a turd. The gas 1.4 would smoke it consistently, and held gears just as well on hills. My Pontiac is supercharged, and it has low end torque for days, makes the Cruze look all kinds of stupid. Or it would, if the transmission programming wasn't garbage and HP Tuners wasn't garbage. Sometimes the transmission just freaks out and does what it wants. But yeah, going supercharged means a mileage hit. Don't regret selling the Cruze for a second though, the Pontiac is way more fun and dirt cheap to own.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
1972 blazer 4x4 with a healthy 454 and factory a/c although I’d take an all aluminum 427 small block too. It just has to have a mean idle and power to back it :D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I daily drive a 1996 Toyota Corolla. I only drive a Duramax when I need it, on vacations/trips, or when I want to.

If I didn't have a Duramax, I'd have a CTS-V sedan. I've been looking for a white stick car for a while.

I’m with you on the CTS-V. Ever since Kat and Pat let me drive their CTS-V they used to have back when it was new I’ve been wanting one.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
As an alternative to a TDI or Cruze diesel I think I would have got a Chevy Spark EV.

Did a test drive on one an it was crazy fun. The visibility was excellent, plenty of room for a tiny vehicle but most of all it had great acceleration. I think it has something like 140 HP & 400 lb/ft. Oh, and did I say it was fun do drive?

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
My buddy had a 5.5” lifted s-10. It was a piece of crap. The frame where the lower control arms mount cracked the frame on both sides. It also broke the upper mounts off also a few times. Numerous upper ball joints. You had to remove the steering shaft just to change the back spark plug. Total piece.

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
My buddy had a 5.5” lifted s-10. It was a piece of crap. The frame where the lower control arms mount cracked the frame on both sides. It also broke the upper mounts off also a few times. Numerous upper ball joints. You had to remove the steering shaft just to change the back spark plug. Total piece.

I'll keep this in mind.

Firefightkev

May 30, 2014
Central Florida
I loved my s10. I put 200 thousand on it. The only true problem I had was a wire harness, it would make the motor shut off and at night the head lights would go out. Wait 3 seconds the motor would start running and lights came back and I would keep going down the road. I am sure a TDI would fit under the hood. The Jetta I owned was near the same size motor as the s10 just less space under the hood then the s10.

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
My geo metro is probably my favorite vehicle that I own..... if it just had like 10-15 more hp :rofl:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I currently have a 2014 F150 screw fx4 with 3.5L ecoboost. Meh, it's a great truck but I'm just not in love with it.

Realistic, I'd love to have a Ram 1500 laramie crew cab 4wd with ecodiesel. Dream truck is to finish the 83 in my sig with the cab stretched 3-4" ("mega cab" but would really just get it up to modern crew cab space in backseat), mild engine build, trans built, HSP or WCFab twins with ED billet 88 over a Danville billet 68. Danville tuning for 550rwhp tame & perfect to 1000+ just cause. :coolspot: Supporting fuel & susp. mods.

If it had to be something other than a truck... Realistic family cars would prefer Pontiac G8, CTS-V, BMW 335D, Chevy Volt, Dodge Charger SRT8 and the odd ball is the 2018/19 Toyota Camry sport something or other - damn that's a good looking car. Realistic family SUV I'd like a Ford Explorer Sport with the 3.5L ecoboost or maybe Trailblazer SS. Family SUV dream vehicle would be an LBZ/4L85e swapped 2wd (maybe IFS 4wd but lowered a bit is the goal) squarebody suburban with modern interior and lowered 4/6 on air. Wife dream SUV would be a 4-door jeep wrangler with CR 4-cyl cummins or ecodiesel conversion.

Just a fun car would be a ZL1 Corvette or whatever that badass camaro is. I would want to supercharger either one of those and setup to make a loud & rowdy 1000rwhp. :D

Alright, that's enough day dreaming for this ol' boy. :D

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
I have an 06 Jetta TDI that I drive every day. I average anywhere from 38 to 41 MPG hand calculated. I wish I would have bought an older one for the even better fuel economy!

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
I have an 06 Jetta TDI that I drive every day. I average anywhere from 38 to 41 MPG hand calculated. I wish I would have bought an older one for the even better fuel economy!

That would be my choice
Jetta or even a Rabbit!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

Mines an 06 also. I get about 34 mpg driving 4 miles one way to work. All city. Engine doesn't even get up to temp most the time

Do or did you ever have any cam lobe wear problems?

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
That would be my choice
Jetta or even a Rabbit!

I would love to get an MK4 Golf even.

Mines an 06 also. I get about 34 mpg driving 4 miles one way to work. All city. Engine doesn't even get up to temp most the time

Do or did you ever have any cam lobe wear problems?

I drive about 30 minutes every day, mostly highway. I don't even know if its possible to kill this car. I replaced the crank and lifters when I bought it along with deleting the EGR. Other than that, the car doesn't break anything.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I like my Cruze diesel now that I found the electrical gremlin. My old lady's passat tdi sel premium is a nice car.

I'd love to have a newer Camaro so or an 02 trans am ws6 to toy with.

1thackattack

Diesel enthusiast
Apr 7, 2017
A acura tlx V6 awd, or a genesis g80 sport awd, use to daily a acura tsx until last week when an old grandma ran a red light and hit me:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
About to pick up a Silverado for the wife lol, 1500 hd 6.0 4l80 crew cab. But I miss driving my geo, wouldn't mind a supercharged reagle with some spray lol

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
3 Silverado Duramaxes (2 running), TBSS, 84’ Silverado short bed awaiting a fuel injected aluminum headed 427 big block... On the rare occasion I’m not in a Silverado the TBSS gets beat on.

The only time I don’t want one of the trucks is parking in the city...

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Trucks are over rated. :rofl:
I think we might buy a Mercedes GL350 Bluetec and I’ll put a hitch on it.

About to pick up a Silverado for the wife lol, 1500 hd 6.0 4l80 crew cab. But I miss driving my geo, wouldn't mind a supercharged reagle with some spray lol

I might be selling mine at the end of the year. Only has 80k. I’ll make ya a great deal.