Question: AirdogII165 Possible Problems

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
Found a few things I'm unsure about. I hope you guys can help out. :mad::mad::mad:

1) The installer filled both the water and Fuel filters on initial start up. When it blatantly says NOT TO! What potential damage can happen from doing this? He said it shifted very hard from 1-2 after start up. Haven't seen the problem since.

2) The pump is working because I can hold Desired Fuel Rail pressure now, but I think they installed it backwards. Am I correct?

6Liftpump.jpg

5Liftpump.jpg

4Liftpump.jpg

3Liftpump.jpg

2Liftpump.jpg

1Liftpump.jpg

MD-Dmax

Jan 6, 2010
I thought the water separator was towards the back of the truck and the fuel filter was at the front, you are sucking fuel from the tank and filtering it then separating the water, seems ass backwards. I think it is installed wrong or I have to go flip mine around

Forever

Jan 4, 2009
Utah
Well, The Engine Line is going to the engine. Which is next the Water Separator. So wouldn't it be right, they just mounted it the wrong way which uses more hose?

Do you know the potential damage feeling the fuel filter can cause?

MD-Dmax

Jan 6, 2010
If the engine stamp is facing towards the engine it is pry right but I don't believe that is how my filters are setup that is what's making me question it

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mines been mounted that way for 25k. No issues to date and thats the way the instructions said to mount it

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
picture.php
mine is mounted the other way. regulator and line from fuel tank is pointed at the fuel tank. My buddies on his dodge is the same way but it shouldnt matter as line as the lines are going to the right place

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
Doesn't matter which way it's mounted as long as the lines are hooked up correctly don't worry about it.

Did i see that you said the line on the side of the water sep is going to the engine? If so that's wrong. The line by itself is the suction, which should go to the tank. The smaller 3/8" fitting is the return and the one next to that is the pressure line that goes to the engine.

Also there is no damage done by filling the filters up.

Just write down the serial # cause it's facing the frame and send in the warranty card.

Last edited:

Forever

Jan 4, 2009
Utah
Doesn't matter which way it's mounted as long as the lines are hooked up correctly don't worry about it.

Did i see that you said the line on the side of the water sep is going to the engine? If so that's wrong. The line by itself is the suction, which should go to the tank. The smaller 3/8" fitting is the return and the one next to that is the pressure line that goes to the engine.

Also there is no damage done by filling the filters up.

Just write down the serial # cause it's facing the frame and send in the warranty card.

Sorry about that, my sentence made it seem like that. The lines are all hooked up correctly. I made sure of it last night. Sent of warranty today. Thanks for your help man.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
OK good, lol i was wondering how it was running ok with the lines hooked up wrong.

No problem!

Call in a few days to verify we got it:thumb:

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
You aren't supposed to prefill filters because of the contaminants that get down stream of the filter and go straight to your injectors (or whatever else you are filtering).

Oil, fuel, etc are very dirty straight out of their containers.

sent telepathically via rooted ThunderBOLT

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You aren't supposed to prefill filters because of the contaminants that get down stream of the filter and go straight to your injectors (or whatever else you are filtering).

Oil, fuel, etc are very dirty straight out of their containers.

sent telepathically via rooted ThunderBOLT
Exactly, but if you still run the stock fuel filter, there is no danger of anything getting into the injectors by pre-filling the AD filters.

Most people mount the pump the other direction because of the way the return line is bent so it doesn't have to be looped around the pump like yours.

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
:confused: I dont remember getting any card to fill out .I need to go see if I still have my original 165II box .