Air Dog 4G VS FASS Titanium (2016)

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
I know there are a lot of comparison threads of the older stuff but not in particular of these newer pumps. Was hoping some of you guys who install both of these could help me out.

I'm finally gonna buy a lift pump for my truck. Always held off because of how unreliable they were. I was going to go with the AD 4G because of how quiet it was and it sounds like they've improved a lot in reliability. I haven't heard of any failures yet, although they aren't that old…..…until I saw the FASS 150 Titanium at my cost is $130 cheaper. Anyone think the AD is worth the extra money? Please explain why either way.

How do the install kits compare? Is one better than the other? If I end up with the FASS I will be finding a better mounting location under the bed than they suggest even if I have to make a bracket.

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
I have the FASS titanium and it works have it mounted on frame rail but will be moving it to the bed where the spare tire used to be i also am going to install a sump

Tone72885

Feb 24, 2011
I have a FASS 150 on my 2012 Denali and a Airdog 4G on my 2006 'Dooley', the AirDog is MUCH quieter than the FASS. The FASS is very loud and annoying and can be easily heard over the truck running (5in exhaust) sitting in the driver seat at a stop with the window down. The Airdog on the other hand, I can barely hear that thing when the truck is off standing right next to its mounting location. Both are mounted in the same approximate locations on the frame rail. I had a AirDog 165 back when I had my 03 and it was quiet as well. Maybe I got a lemon or something from FASS for my 2012, but I don't think I would buy another FASS.

As for the mounting and hardware compare, the Airdog 4G has a great kit, everything I needed to install. When I did the FASS on my 2012 (installed early 2012), I remember being frustrated cause pieces that came in the kit didn't match up and had to buy other fittings

A. Stock Lbz

Aug 13, 2013
spokane wa
I would get the fass 150, they are louder but I have had good luck with them. I've put 5 airdogs on trucks and 3 of them needed replacement pumps. If you get the a.d just make SURE you send in the warranty card. One good thing about them is they are good about warrantying the pumps.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
My vote for the air dog 2 165 4g. No issues with the new pump and it's quiet. No hassle warranty and you can't beat that.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
I would get the fass 150, they are louder but I have had good luck with them. I've put 5 airdogs on trucks and 3 of them needed replacement pumps. If you get the a.d just make SURE you send in the warranty card. One good thing about them is they are good about warrantying the pumps.

You're probably not talking about the new 4G by air dog though right? Trying to keep this thread about the latest offerings.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I have a FASS 150 on my 2012 Denali and a Airdog 4G on my 2006 'Dooley', the AirDog is MUCH quieter than the FASS. The FASS is very loud and annoying and can be easily heard over the truck running (5in exhaust) sitting in the driver seat at a stop with the window down. The Airdog on the other hand, I can barely hear that thing when the truck is off standing right next to its mounting location. Both are mounted in the same approximate locations on the frame rail. I had a AirDog 165 back when I had my 03 and it was quiet as well. Maybe I got a lemon or something from FASS for my 2012, but I don't think I would buy another FASS.

As for the mounting and hardware compare, the Airdog 4G has a great kit, everything I needed to install. When I did the FASS on my 2012 (installed early 2012), I remember being frustrated cause pieces that came in the kit didn't match up and had to buy other fittings

Put a sump on your Denali.. Night and day noise reduction

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI

If the FASS is really that loud I won't be buying one. I have heard mixed reviews on that. Do you have a draw straw installed with it? Some say they can cavitate and that makes the pumps loud and also shortens the life of the motor.

Pulled this from another thread-
Pump is louder without a sump/draw straw. Just installed one on a friend's 2013 and he commented on how loud the pump was (still has factory exhaust). Called fass and they said there is more restriction in the factory lml pickup and that installing a sump would make it quieter.
So i take it as the pump has to work harder to pull through the factory setup and the pump will wear out faster :confused:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Did the fass do that since new? Every fass I've been around is pretty quiet.

My old raptor pump which is made by air dog, sounds like an old shureflow brass mechanical pump, i can hear it running going down the road sometimes.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've installed I think 20 fass pumps this year. One on an Lml.. It was hands down the loudest pump I've ever heard.. However I installed a sump a month later and now you can't even hear the pump run.. Run a sump not a straw.. In my opinion straws are out dated.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
I've installed I think 20 fass pumps this year. One on an Lml.. It was hands down the loudest pump I've ever heard.. However I installed a sump a month later and now you can't even hear the pump run.. Run a sump not a straw.. In my opinion straws are out dated.

Might as well go with the AD 4G then as far as noise goes and I won't have to buy or install a sump. Sounds like they are not really necessary? People make big power with the stock pick-up.

Unless there are other benefits I don't know of? Do they extend the life of the pump?

Last edited:

Tone72885

Feb 24, 2011
I didn't know that about the sump. When I installed the FASS on the Denali back in early 2012, it made all this noise from the get go. I looked around to see if anyone else was having the issue via Google and Forums and nothing popped up so i just figured it was how it ran and never looked at it again. And at the time of install, I was so pissed about the instructions and parts that came in the box that I didn't wanna continue messing with it. I don't remember exactly what the issue was with the install and parts that came, but I just remember hating it. But now after having the AirDog 4G on my LBZ just recently.... Im definitely looking at the FASS noise now and yanking that noisy f*^ker out of there.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've never had any noise problems with FASS, and I've had no problems mounting the pump high enough that it doesn't hang down below the body. I usually don't install sumps or draw straws either.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
My Kennedy dual pumps are 10 years old and have worked flawlessly. You don't know it's running unless you put your hand on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
I put the beans sump on mine and had no issues with leaks or anything and liked the fact that it was one bolt. Also comes with a holesaw.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I would get AD if / when I get another one.. My fass is loud but I've had no issue in 3 years or more and over 100k miles so can't complain with that I don't guess..

I put a sump in to try to make it quieter and no luck there so just been living with it..

Madspeed

Fat Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Elk Ridge Utah
fass ftw

I have a Fass 150/150 from 07 still running fine on its 4th truck. I just installed the Fass 150/150 titanium on my newest MaxBurb and I cant hear it at all when the truck is at idle. Only when its off and in run I can hear it. Also installed 150/150 on budys 650 rwhp twinned cummins in 08 and its still going strong. :thumb::thumb: for the Fass.