Aftermarket Calipers?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Personally, id only run GM parts for my brakes only because of the mileage i have on mine. 164k and still on stock brakes all around. I still have close to 35-40% all around as well. I have noticed in 2 instances that my RF caliper would stick a little and cause a little pull under braking. i did all that you did (short of replacing the caliper/rotor/pads/hardware) and made no difference but i also had 162k on the factory brake fluid as well (i changed it 2k ago). Flushed the fluid and has yet to come back.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I put a set from Brake performance on my truck about 2 yrs ago and still going strong. They are much better than stock setups and are pretty cheap. Less than 500 dollars.

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
my truck actually has NAPA performance slotted rotors and the top of the line NAPA United ceramic pads and it stops alot better than stock....

smarquis

Triple Turbo LBZ
Jul 15, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada.
My rear brakes have just been problems ever since I purchased the truck in 2006. I know I drive very fast (and many would probably say like a jackass), but I've had to replace my rear brakes constantly. My aftermarket Brakeman front brakes last me about 40,000-50,000 miles, so I really don't have a problem there although I would love to see those last longer too.

I replaced the rear calipers last weekend, when one of the pistons just fell out of my old calipers. (I was doing them myself to see what the f*&^ was wrong.) I've had to replace my rear brakes every 15,000 miles or so, and my assumption is that it is related to the calipers. I've also had problems with my rotors showing stress cracks after the first set of pads, and I think this was also related to the calipers as I guess the uneven wear can translate into higher temperatures for the rotors.

If anyone has any potential issues I should look for, please let me know. I saw that someone said brake line issues could cause this, but I'm not too sure what to look for other than leaks.

Thanks!

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
Frome my experience those two pins that the caliper slides on are the problem. Notice how the last inch is narrower. There is a rebber sleeve that goes on it. I pulled one out and that sleeve was all chewed up and stuck in the grease. Took me at least an hour to fish all the peices out. I also think that water got into it also. Lots of pitting on the pins. Got all new pins an cleaned the slide holes out and it made a huge difference. Ofcouse now there is a leak in my cab where the rod on the break pedal goes through the firewall:mad: