Adding tension to your dayco tensioner

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So I needed to add more tension to my belt setup since I’m running 149” belt and 02-05 use a different idler pulley setup than the 06-up that doesn’t really let you get all the slack out of the belt. This is only an issue if you are like me and have a van thermostat housing and dual fueler

That said, I have a dayco tensioner from autozone that I know a lot of guys run as well to keep the belt on their truck. The two Allen head bolts on the back of the tensioner that set into the recesses of the accessory bracket to “key it” can be unbolted without anything coming apart. Figure out how much you want to add for tension and redrill holes clockwise from the original holes. I went 3/8” from original. You can go farther than this just by sanding off the stop that keeps you from going too far. Made a significant difference in tension from before

4fe1a26a44404c1a9f7ff52c25b03c2d.heic

As you can see, I have 4 open holes. First time I added new holes in the wrong direction lol (counterclockwise, don’t go that way unless you want less tension)

May not be many guys needing this mod but think this will help those that still have jumping belt issues at high rpm or can’t get pulley alignment perfect

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Hey James does that Dayco have a metal pulley? If so what's the part number by chance? Also great mood I might need this in the future for my setup!

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
What part brand and # did you use on your LS ? Where did you get it if you don’t mind . My brother’s turbo LS is chunking the belt .

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
What part brand and # did you use on your LS ? Where did you get it if you don’t mind . My brother’s turbo LS is chunking the belt .

I'll have to go back and look. It's a heafty piece, I love it, minimal loss of boost with standard belt...

I'm about to overdrive it by 10% and go 8 rib so it maybe for sale as its for a 6 rib but it may work, I'll have to see...

Has he gone to an electric water pump? How much rwhp? Most of my friends went to the e water pump to lessen belt strain and keep from cavitatating it at high rpm...

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Why not go manual like I did with my LS? My belt is tight as fuk!

Don’t believe it will work well on such a long belt. The 149” only comes in a normal belt and it stretches quite a bit when hot. Do they even make a manual setup for a dmax?

And yeah Eric, it’s metal. The pulley you see on mine is metal. If not, I think you can punch the bearing out of the plastic one and put it in the factory steel one so it’s “new”

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Thanks for taking the time to post pics, mines run the same way. It seems ok now but I have not drove it yet since there is no down pipe on it and exhaust will blow on the firewall until I finish building my twin piping. Did you hear your belt squeal under a good load James?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks for taking the time to post pics, mines run the same way. It seems ok now but I have not drove it yet since there is no down pipe on it and exhaust will blow on the firewall until I finish building my twin piping. Did you hear your belt squeal under a good load James?

I never did but with me running a solid fan hub now, I wanted to be damn sure it wasn’t an issue. I do know it holds less tension before the mod than the original dual fueler belt routing cause it was real close to the relaxed stop when running and hot

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Don’t believe it will work well on such a long belt. The 149” only comes in a normal belt and it stretches quite a bit when hot. Do they even make a manual setup for a dmax?

And yeah Eric, it’s metal. The pulley you see on mine is metal. If not, I think you can punch the bearing out of the plastic one and put it in the factory steel one so it’s “new”

After tossing and shredding literally 20+ belts last season on the StarLite truck, we built a mechanical (solid) tensioner while utilizing the 149" belt. Haven't lost a single belt yet. And this belt that's been on it since day 1 with the solid tensioner still looks brand new. We tried 15 different factory style tensioners and added several more idler pulley to no avail. Solid tensioner solved every single problem.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Alright guys, you're using old-skool V-belt technology for a serpentine-belt problem tension problem, which I think is brilliant....so would one of you please give us the low-down on just HOW you built the parts to solve this dilemma?

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
Katech engines makes a lot of nice billet manual tensioners not one specifically for a duramax but might be able to get one to work... I used one on my supercharged Silverado and it stopped the belt from slipping.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
After tossing and shredding literally 20+ belts last season on the StarLite truck, we built a mechanical (solid) tensioner while utilizing the 149" belt. Haven't lost a single belt yet. And this belt that's been on it since day 1 with the solid tensioner still looks brand new. We tried 15 different factory style tensioners and added several more idler pulley to no avail. Solid tensioner solved every single problem.

I know this post is old, but do you or anyone have pictures or know anyone that makes a manual adjustable belt tensioner for the Dmax? I'm running the 149" belt and have lost 2 so far...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
ICT Billet makes a solid tensioner that looks like it will bolt up, but I'm not sure how you would keep it from loosening up.

shopping

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
ICT Billet makes a solid tensioner that looks like it will bolt up, but I'm not sure how you would keep it from loosening up.

shopping

I'm guessing your talking about this one, I was wondering the same thing if it would work.

IMG_6497.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6497.JPG
    IMG_6497.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 24

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I’ve tried different belts etc new tensioner, belt still likes to jump grooves , it’s still on but that’s only after I dialed back the RPMs 3-400 . I have a brand new belt but it’s almost pointless to put it on until I find a solution to keep it in the grooves. The chewed up one I have on there stays on so I’ve just left it on there . So guys what’s the advantages of running this Billet one from ICT ? Is it adjustable ?