A little something for work...

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
Little something I picked up to keep the upper hand...

Colt LE-6920. I got a serious discount and couldn't refuse at this price. Now, I'm officially a Colt snob.

I took it out and got it zeroed with 9 rounds at 300 yards. I have no desire to pick up a red dot or anything for this. I've always been a fan of iron sights. They've always worked fine for me when I was active duty so I'm gonna leave them alone. I need a better sling and some 30 round mags...

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 64
  • HPIM1730.jpg
    HPIM1730.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 71
  • HPIM1731.jpg
    HPIM1731.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 56

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I have 12 extra 30 round mags if you're interested. Maybe a 3 point sling, but I'm not sure...

Last edited:

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Pmags and the Vtac sling, even if your not a fan of polymer mags, the Vtac sling is very versitile and a really nice piece.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Is that the same length as an M4? 14" barrel, I think.

I notice it has a bayonet lug too. Gotta be prepared for close quarters combat and zombies... :D

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Is that the same length as an M4? 14" barrel, I think.

I notice it has a bayonet lug too. Gotta be prepared for close quarters combat and zombies... :D

shes a 16" not a 14.5" you can tell because normally on a M4 profile barrel, the section after the m203 notch and between the last little barrel profile change is just like 2" long. On another note though Nick, would you have to get a NFA stamp to have a 14.5" or could your LEO status get you around that hassle?

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
I could've gotten it but we have fine specs for what the agency allows. I had to get a letter head written and sent to the distributor in order to purchase this particular model. Its a military or law enforcement only model and its sales are restricted.

Josh, its a Mil-Spec rifle, pretty much the exact copy of what I carried in the Army and the same as what you probably fired (FN) at one time or another in the Air Force. The only difference is that there's no burst.

Not too shabby though for $1100 shipped...:thumb:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
a base AR, in today's society seems kinda useless - either you can get the job done with a service pistol, or you are heavily outgunned and a base AR isn't going to help you much. sure, a well-practiced marksman can use that base AR pretty effectively in most situations, but is it the best option you can keep in reserve? nope. I'm not trying to diss you Nick, as i come from a similar background with less LE experience, but I tend to follow the unconventional views on warfare and LE.

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
First of all, I fully realize you can hang everything off one of these, including the kitchen sink. I had no desire for a whole slew of mods just yet. It'll get the job done if the need arises, not to mention I'm on a budget and don't have thousands laying around for rifle modifications.

I don't possibly see how a rifle isn't any better than a pistol? Different situations can arise for both at any time. Last time I checked, my Glock 21 SF isn't effective at 300 yards, or anywhere even close to it. I need to hear your reasoning.

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
my reasoning is that in a close urban environment, a 5.56 is useless, and is almost as useless at 300 m. the newer heavier grain rounds help a small amount, but what I've seen is that with the 5.56 you either have higher chance of collateral damage at close range or a very small chance of killing your target at 300 m. at close range (less than 50 m) unless the round is well placed in the head or heart, it usually takes more than one shot just to disable the target. A round that transfers more kenetic energy would be much more effective here ( 7.62, 6.8, .45, some .30). at 300m, with a short barrel especially, your chances of a one-shot kill are even less due to the instability of the round and its loss of energy and velocity so quickly out that far. again, a 7.62, 6.8, larger .30, are much more effective here. I'm not a LE officer, but shoot/no-shoot scenarios have been all but beaten into me, and if i can't trust my weapon to make the type of shot i know i can make with a better weapon, what's the use of having that weapon?

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
my reasoning is that in a close urban environment, a 5.56 is useless, and is almost as useless at 300 m. the newer heavier grain rounds help a small amount, but what I've seen is that with the 5.56 you either have higher chance of collateral damage at close range or a very small chance of killing your target at 300 m. at close range (less than 50 m) unless the round is well placed in the head or heart, it usually takes more than one shot just to disable the target. A round that transfers more kenetic energy would be much more effective here ( 7.62, 6.8, .45, some .30). at 300m, with a short barrel especially, your chances of a one-shot kill are even less due to the instability of the round and its loss of energy and velocity so quickly out that far. again, a 7.62, 6.8, larger .30, are much more effective here. I'm not a LE officer, but shoot/no-shoot scenarios have been all but beaten into me, and if i can't trust my weapon to make the type of shot i know i can make with a better weapon, what's the use of having that weapon?

This may be the biggest debate in defense. I went through a new training course a couple of years ago and about half the attendees said what you just said. The CAG guys all looked at each other for a second then smiled. The reply was one my Grandpa used to tell me when I missed a shot and blamed everything but myself. "This weapon is as effective as the person using it. If you hit the intended target; it does it's job. Hitting that target is usually the problem." If the guys in cool PJs can carry what they want and still choose 5.56 I have to say the caliber is not issue. I own lots of firearms from .17 to .338WM in rifles and .22 to 45 Colt in autos and wheelies. For the home there are better choices than 5.56 but for the piece in question and it's intended purpose; 5.56 is the perfect combination of power and available ammunition that can be carried.

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
i haven't seen one SEAL or SF operator where i'm stationed carry a 5.56 outside the wire. most of the SEAL teams out here (al anbar) i've seen carry AK's and Sig's.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I could've gotten it but we have fine specs for what the agency allows. I had to get a letter head written and sent to the distributor in order to purchase this particular model. Its a military or law enforcement only model and its sales are restricted.

Josh, its a Mil-Spec rifle, pretty much the exact copy of what I carried in the Army and the same as what you probably fired (FN) at one time or another in the Air Force. The only difference is that there's no burst.

Not too shabby though for $1100 shipped...:thumb:

If it's not a SBR or a machine gun what could make it's sales restricted? I own lots of stuff that says for LE or military use only, it was all produced during the weapons ban and at the time was restricted, but no longer is since the ban was not renewed :)

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
i haven't seen one SEAL or SF operator where i'm stationed carry a 5.56 outside the wire. most of the SEAL teams out here (al anbar) i've seen carry AK's and Sig's.

I've seen guys carry all kinds of things. Most of the time when my kids are complaining about their M4s they notice all the other M4s around them.

I know every area is different. Hell, we actually got to use our .50 cal Barrett on our last trip. My point was that every time I have ran into the stopping power and usefulness of 5.56 debate some guy from a color designator corrects the issue.

Personally, I like the Colt and I hope the new owner enjoys and uses it.

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us

I don't personally see how a patrol rifle is not a wise choice today. I fail to see how a pistol is just as good as a rifle. Regardless, it all depends on your trigger finger anyways. You could have the world's greatest super car and in the hands of a 16 year old kid is completely worthless. Or you could have it in the hands of one of the top drivers on the planet and it's effective at it's designed purpose.

The bottom line is that a rifle is a tool. Its a tool that I throw in my tool box in an attempt to give me the upper hand. I did not buy it for home defense. Its going into my tool box with the hopes that I will never have to use it.

I think that claiming that a bone stock AR is pointless is an asinine statement. I mean no disrespect of course but I completely disagree. I have enough miles behind the wheel of an M-4 to know what a good purchase is.

If it's not a SBR or a machine gun what could make it's sales restricted?

I have no idea. They wouldn't sell it to me without an agency letterhead. :confused:

I've seen guys carry all kinds of things. Most of the time when my kids are complaining about their M4s they notice all the other M4s around them.

I have too. Then again, I'm not in the Army anymore and we have an approved list of firearms that we're allowed to carry. An AK or SKS was not on the list. Besides, I have no working knowledge of either of those two. I owned a Maadi AK-47 for about 4 years and it was old and had a ton of miles on it. For accuracy, it pretty much blew. To punch holes through a washing machine, it was great. It's just a different weapons system with different results from the factory. That thing was designed to point and spray, not clip someone off a horse at 300 yards.

I've been trained with an M4 and that's what I'm comfortable with. It was like riding a bike again after a few years of not touching one. I could break down an M4 blindfolded, with mittens on twice on sundays. It just feels natural. Besides, an M16A-2 was the first rifle that I ever fired in my life so muscle memory kinda has it's advantages.

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
i own a match grade colt, tricked out for quiet coyote hunting, nothing wrong with it for that purpose. and i agree, different areas require different weapons and tactics for sure, i just haven't witnessed or studied a situation that wouldn't have been aided by a more suitable weapon/cartridge.....and i am not placing all the blame on the weapons, because i have witnessed how poor of a shot 90% of the guys here have :rofl:. you are 100% right in your own respect that with proper use, any weapon can be used with just as deadly force as the next one....in their intended environments. hell, there have been a few local incidents where all that would've been needed is a rock to take out the threat...not to mention a little vigilance.