A/C controls inop

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Got curious based on your ordering books James. Found a couple 02 crew cabs in LT trim with the "automatic air" on a various used car sites. Picture of this HVAC panel attached. I've never seen one of these before.

The picture you have there I've only seen on Canadian trucks also with kph on the dash instead of mph

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have an LT crew cab 10/01 (02)

So what's the verdict, how do I fix this haha
I would try the procedure posted by CarolinaHD.

The picture you have there I've only seen on Canadian trucks also with kph on the dash instead of mph

I have definitely seen those controls in US trucks. I don't remember the truck, but I remember the controls because it was so strange.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Been a while since we've derailed a thread like that. :hehe:

Yep, try what Carolina said to.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
picture.php

I'm always down for a good thread derail

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Blend and mode motors should cycle normal when hooked up electrically but not hooked to the doors? Both blend and mode motors seem to bind up on themselves when I change the controls from hot to cold and head to defrost.

recently got stuck on defrost but the blend door has been an issue for a long time so they may both be bad.....

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
My 02 crew cab LT has the auto climate control and I recently had the blend door stick on me. I need to go through them and clean them all up. My 01 regular cab is a LS and doesnt have auto climate lol. My fix for the time being since I am in california and its hotter than hell right now is I pulled of the actuator, switched the blend door and put a piece of paper in the actuator to not switch automatically so I can have A/C for right now :ROFLMAO:

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Not 100% relevant, but neither is most of this thread haha

This is from my 04 and the driver blend actuator door. It was moving on it's own to full heat without me touching it, but an ignition cycle (or position relearn) would fix it. So not stuck like you're describing.

Grease definitely melted and caused issues. After cleaning it off I've had no issues with it staying where I set it, but now if I keep it on the coldest position I'm getting a clicking sound which I believe is the door trying to keep closing more. I'm going to do another relearn and see if it fixes it.

Just an update, the driver side is the one on the bottom (which wasn't shown on the diagram). Luckily it's relatively easy to reach.

I took it out and took it apart, and sure enough there was grease over the contact for the doors "position sensing"

Pulled the whole thing apart, used some MAF cleaner and a Q-Tip on the pad, put it back together and did a reset with my tech 2. It's working for now, I'll monitor over the next few days. I'm hoping it's fixed.

I'm hoping the top hard to reach one (passenger side) isn't suffering from the same thing, but it's likely installed with the motor on top so any melting grease would drip away from the contact pad instead of onto it.

View attachment 104068

Reactions: OregonDMAX

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Well I just replaced both blend motor and mode motors with GM OEM replacements I got for half the price of the dealer cost on Amazon. After pulling the motor apart I found the main gear was split, under a load trying to rotate it separates even more hence being stuck on defrost. Based on the symptoms I'm going to assume the blend motor was the same issue

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_111030572.jpg
    IMG_20200706_111030572.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Got a link to the replacements? I bought one from the dealer for something like $350 and my stomach sank when I paid for it. Luckily mine was not split and I was able to return it after opening up and fixing the one in the truck.
I've also seen a youtube video where a guy carefully jb-welded the split gear back together and held it shut with a hose clamp while it dried, and then put it back together with no issue.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Got a link to the replacements?

That is the passenger side blend door (the hard one) for my 2004, I ordered it 7/4/2018 and have not had a problems since. You can scroll down and find the others for way less than what you paid for just one.

You can go to Dorman's website to find the other part numbers as well. I know some other people have not had luck with these but I can't complain.