72 C10 Longbed Duramax Swap!

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Done 2 of these dmax swaps and well if you want some ideas on how I pulled it of feel free to email me. [email protected]
The engine looks way to high in the frame. I used round urethane bushings from http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/LSMOUNT.html like the Merchant engine mounts and fabbed my own dom tube X Member. The wiring is cake to make stand alone. You will need some electrical knowledge and use some diodes to get your 71 ignition switch to do what a dmax wants it do to. Use the blazer/Suburban fuel tank and cut open the top use epoxy and screws to fasten the dmax sender base into the blazer tank. I have pix somewhere it works tits. You can use the dmax rad core support and all the rads and coolers. Use a Fass 150/150 w filters or the like. get EFI live youl need it. the wiring is actually simple. I did ABS, cruise control, a/c, factory dmax alarm, power windows w van regs and my mods of which I have templates around, used 72 tilt colum and crusie lever, My dash is all stock 72 stuff minus gauges.
First one was 1972 4x4 blazer This next one is 1971 c10 on c30 frame w AAM rear, Dana 60 HP ford front, Next one is going to be a 71-72 Crewcab custom built cab.
Love the project so far.

Good grief, you need some "build" threads my man!! I'd love to see the ones you've done so far! :eek: :thumb:

Kamilmk

Aug 13, 2015
Seymour, CT
Yea it would be awesome to see a thread about all this, where you can document progress for eye candy!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TheIronGeek

Nov 16, 2013
Alrighty Chirren!

so, i did not end up getting either of those banks stuff from craigslist. I know i would need EFILive either way, and if i'm going to get EFILive i might as well have some tunes done too!

i don't have any cool pictures to post :/

So, where i'm at now!

Fuel and brakes are run.

now we're starting to run the wiring, and hide all of the extra wiring.

Questions!
what did any of you guys do about Gauges?
i was WANTING to stick to stock looking gauges. Does anyone know about hooking my old "manual" gauges to the duramax? or, it seems that if i were to buy some aftermarket gauges that would use a wire input, i could just hook those right into the Dmax harness. but the latter seems to be much more expensive. Thoughts?

will my 72 Speedometer hook to anything on the Allison so that i can just use the stock cable? I mean, i can't find anything at first glance, but... i'm also pretty dumb...
smile.gif

and lastly, i'm on the look out for a 69 to 72 non tilt, auto steering column. I haven't found any on craigslist. Anyone around louisville, ky have one they're trying to get rid of?!
or maybe willing to ship?!

As usual, thanks in advance!

you guys are all awesome!

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
This truck is going to live right up the interstate from me (I'm off I-64 at exit 48) in Louisville, KY?!?! Will you let me come eyeball rape it when its done. :D

TheIronGeek

Nov 16, 2013
for sure!

i'm not actually in Louisville, i work there.

i live in Greenville, IN which is Exit 119.

and the truck is in Salem, where i grew up. My dad is kind enough to let me use his barn :)

i would for sure let you see it!

Madspeed

Fat Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Elk Ridge Utah
Alrighty Chirren!

so, i did not end up getting either of those banks stuff from craigslist. I know i would need EFILive either way, and if i'm going to get EFILive i might as well have some tunes done too!

i don't have any cool pictures to post :/

So, where i'm at now!

Fuel and brakes are run.

now we're starting to run the wiring, and hide all of the extra wiring.

Questions!
what did any of you guys do about Gauges?
i was WANTING to stick to stock looking gauges. Does anyone know about hooking my old "manual" gauges to the duramax? or, it seems that if i were to buy some aftermarket gauges that would use a wire input, i could just hook those right into the Dmax harness. but the latter seems to be much more expensive. Thoughts?

will my 72 Speedometer hook to anything on the Allison so that i can just use the stock cable? I mean, i can't find anything at first glance, but... i'm also pretty dumb...
smile.gif

and lastly, i'm on the look out for a 69 to 72 non tilt, auto steering column. I haven't found any on craigslist. Anyone around louisville, ky have one they're trying to get rid of?!
or maybe willing to ship?!

As usual, thanks in advance!

you guys are all awesome!

Get Helms manuals for correct wiring diagrams. http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...m=result&Style=helm&Sku=GMT05CK8PU&itemtype=N

Back when I bought this one in 2007 to do a Duramax in an H1 hummer it was around 200. W0W now ts 500. whatever its 100% correct information on the entire truck

I think there are digital to speedo cable drive adapters that could potentially drive the 72 speedo/ or autometer it all and install a/m's senders.

A 30 sec search netted http://www.speartech.com/product_p/cablexbox.htm
or
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...hHc98u9FXTRh7Hby3wtKIWVOTF2SiLiBoUaAmP08P8HAQ

blaahh I just threw away a non tilt 71 colum/ But i know exactly where i can pull one tomorrow or monday. Why TF would you want a non tilt? Ill trade u a non tilt for tilt cause I can use a spare

Just call me I have all your answers, FFS ive done this swap once or twice

Last edited:

TheIronGeek

Nov 16, 2013
So, this weekend after 9 months of Saturdays, thanks largely to Arlie McIntosh "Charlie Daniels of the Torque Wrench" we have gotten the Duramax into Ol' Blue, and started, there is still a LOT of work left, but, this is certainly a milestone.

That's most of what we did this weekend. we started it using the Duramax Steering Column, but since we're not going to use that, i still have to get VATS taken off of my ECU. I've been looking for someplace local and coming up Snakeyes. Suggestions? I'm not planning on upgrading anything for a while. At least until i get it on the road and all of the kinks worked out!

We also laid the stock 72 hood on there, and it's only lacking around 2 inches from clearing the intake. So, I have two options, 1: (preferred) I'm looking for an intake (maybe K and N?) that sits lower over the EGR (or maybe EGR delete so that it can sit EVEN lower.) OR, as much as i DIDN'T want to do a body lift, seeing it that close, we're probably going to make us about an 2 inch body lift and see what it looks like. because using that stock hood would be awfully cool. Then when i eventually get it repainted (5 year plan...) I'll take the body lift out and put a cowl hood on it. :)

Next weekend i have drill, so it'll be into the middle of November before i can hit on it again!

Madspeed: To answer your question :)
the reason i want a non-tilt mostly stems from "it's what i'm accustomed to." haha
i had a 70 GMC truck in highschool, it was non tilt, and i never at any point worried about the inability to tilt. Also, i feel like since they're less desirable they would be a tad cheaper.. My budget is getting smaller by the weekend! haha!

also, Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9vsRNds0w:D

TheIronGeek

Nov 16, 2013
Ok! Update!!

I had a lot of great suggestions about what to do about my ECM. Rick said that he could do the tuning for me when i sent him my ECM. however, While watching a video of Brett Deutsch's Triple Turbo Monster, I noticed a banner on his back glass. I asked google where Danville Performance is; Turns out! it's only about an hour and a half from me! So i drove up there and had them put a mild tow tune on it (for now), which also got rid of my VATS system. Those guys are awesome, and fun to talk to.

To test fit some stuff, we fashioned a 1.5 inch body lift out of some wood blocks. Mostly we wanted to see how much that would change the look of the truck. It didn't end up changing it much, so, it looks like i'm going to be going with about a 1.5 inch, or 2 inch body lift. That way we can use the stock hood.

This weekend, Arlie mated a hydroboost system out of an 08 duramax into my 72. (i'll get pictures of that next week.) while he was doing that, i was cutting a hole in my bumper to get to the filler neck of my fuel tank.

right now i have a spare set of wheels that dad is letting me borrow so that we can roll it out of his way whenever he needs it.

next on the list! Tranny cooler, stock 8 lug wheels for the 72, move the battery.

TheIronGeek

Nov 16, 2013
Hey guys!
slow slow goin' recently. I picked up a day job in addition to my night job so that we can pay off some dumb, ol' DEBT. So my spare time has been squished some! Our goal is sometime late May!

Now, since we last visited our hero, I bought a Lift pump (kennedy twin pumps, suggested by Dslhtrdr) and an EGR Delete kit.

I've installed the Steering column that i traded with "feller" for. then moved the Battery box to under the bed, Mounted my new intercooler, and Arlie is modifying the stock Dmax intercooler pipes to fit my truck. That dude is awesome. I hope to have these abilities one day....

Attachments

• 163.jpg
    163.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 156
  • 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 162.jpg
    162.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 127

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Wow this thread is awesome. I live in Terre Haute. I may have to come take a look at this as well sometime. Mark is a very good guy and him and his co-workers are very helpful!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TheIronGeek

Nov 16, 2013
UPDAAAATTTEEE!

still slow goin! Stupid work, stupid LYFE!

Last weekend was spent mostly helping my dad and arlie. They are putting a 4BT in an 83 CJ7, i forgot to take pictures! However, it should be done in about one more weekend.

I put my new (to me) Power steering box, and pump in, mounted the lift pump, and dropped my radiator off at the shop to get a heater hose nipple put into it!

also, i bought another car! 1957 Buick Roadmaster, My wife says that i'm no longer allowed to buy anything else until i get rid of something.... so it sounds like i'm at capacity!

My short term plans: Re do the interior (it smells like mice REAL bad) and put a Small Block Chevy that i have on the shelf, into it. Then take a couple years restoring it slowly.

LONG term plans (5 year plan?): Cummins swap it and make it my daily driver! I IMAGINE that a Cummins swap, with highway rearend gears it could SURELY get high 20's to low 30's mpg. which is as good as my current daily driver. Then i could ride in style year round!

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 77

TheIronGeek

Nov 16, 2013
Hey guys!

i need some advice/info.
I've spent about an hour and a half trying to figure it out!
So, I'm ALMOST DONE! i'm trying to have it done by the weekend before the 4th of july!
Wheels: My front wheels are the stock 5 lug 72 GMC wheels. My rearend is out of a 2005 Duramax 2500 HD 4x4. If i could find 1972 8 lug wheels, will the Center Hub Hole of the 72 wheels fit over the Hub of the 2005 4x4 rearend?

i've found a couple resources on google, but they don't show the hub hole measurements!

is this something that any of you might know off the top of your head?!?

thanks guys!

Nate