650hp

Just-Rage-Quit69

Dec 13, 2022
Right now I’m pushing about 450-500hp. I have stock injectors ARP headtuds Stage 2 Allison transmission EFI live and a cts monitor. Stock air intake was looking at an S&b did my last diesel good but I’ve also heard they can breathe fine with a stock one so no need to change? I’ve been looking and I think I could get by with a 64 but I think for longevity and durability I should do a 66mm? As well as 30% over injectors. What about tcm tuning? Overall the truck runs and drives like a champ just wanting more power in the end when I go to rebuild it when she blows as they all do in the end. Any thoughts or tips as far as parts tools ideas etc are welcome.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
stg2 trans doesnt tell us anything. need more info there.

how healthy is your CP3? you will want far more than 30% overs for longevity at 650.

what kind of "64" or "66" turbo are you talking about? there are tons of options now. some on stock frames, some on 300, some on 400.

Just-Rage-Quit69

Dec 13, 2022
stg2 trans doesnt tell us anything. need more info there.

how healthy is your CP3? you will want far more than 30% overs for longevity at 650.

what kind of "64" or "66" turbo are you talking about? there are tons of options now. some on stock frames, some on 300, some on 400.
I’ve heard the 64mm cheetah turbo is good. I’ve been looking at the stage 2 turbo from dans diesel performance. To be honest I am just getting into all of this I’m not clueless or retarded by any means just new. My cousin rebuilt an 02 Cummins from the ground up and I helped here and there when I wasn’t traveling for work. But as far as the cp3 I am not sure the condition. I planned on going through and spending a decent chunk of change when I rebuild. New interior new paint new rims tires fuel lines coolant lines etc so I’ll be replacing the cp3 as well so I know. Anything that works will be kept as a spare or sold. But more or less I just want to have 6-650hp but I want it to last. I know nothing lasts forever and when power is added you shorten the lifespan. But what are some things I can do or get that can help increase the longevity. With what I have now it’s solid like I said. It barely even roals coal there’s hardly any extra fuel burn. What size injectors would I want to look at? The stock injectors can hold up to 600hp but that’s pushing them.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I also want to stay away from sac injectors as I will be hauling with it I heard you aren’t supposed to pull with sac injectors
I missed that this was for a LB7 🤣 you can get close to 600 with injectors and up pipes. So ignore my turbo recommendation.
Who says you can’t pull with sac injectors?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You want 100over injectors, 10mm cp3, and at least a 64mm turbo. The injectors/ fuel system is important. To small and you add a ton of stress on the engine.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I also want to stay away from sac injectors as I will be hauling with it I heard you aren’t supposed to pull with sac injectors
No you don't. As far as durability goes they are the best. You just have to have a tuner familiar with them.

Also you need a new air box. The newer one on the LBZ will support 650hp, but that's a bit much for the ones on the LB7s.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
100 overs is a big injector if you dont plan on going over 650 ever I'd go with 45 over or 60s IMO. But I've been running 45s for a long ass time now and see no reason to be smokier haha

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
100 overs is a big injector if you dont plan on going over 650 ever I'd go with 45 over or 60s IMO. But I've been running 45s for a long ass time now and see no reason to be smokier haha

100overs will put him close to stock PW and timing. The tuner will be able to manage the TQ the engine produces better increasing the chances he doesn't blow the engine. With good tuning it can be smoke free.

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
Just my 2c but my tune 4 made 650rw/ runs high 11s. I'm on a stealth 67 turbo, dual fueler, and Brent/LDS sac65 sticks etc. 64mm is about a 600-625hp charger if I remember correctly, some others will max around 640 like the stealth 64g2. 66-68 stock frame chargers normally are limited to 700-750. S3/4 are different and I haven't had a setup of my own to give my own opinion on, just other friends trucks As far as tcm tunes personally I feel it's cheap insurance but that's my opinion. As far as the stock air box I believe they become restrictive around 500rw, so any good intake s&b, hsp, wehrli etc should do you well

Just-Rage-Quit69

Dec 13, 2022
I missed that this was for a LB7 🤣 you can get close to 600 with injectors and up pipes. So ignore my turbo recommendation.
Who says you can’t pull with sac injectors?
Just heard you weren’t supposed to pull with them
No you don't. As far as durability goes they are the best. You just have to have a tuner familiar with them.

Also you need a new air box. The newer one on the LBZ will support 650hp, but that's a bit much for the ones on the LB7s.
What would be a recommended build? Turbo injectors tuner? Specific tunes?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Would be cheaper to rebuild a running engine than one with windows. Leave it alone until you're actually ready to build it for power.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
100% injectors, up pipes, and a Danville 3794 65mm
Not an option new now that Danville is no longer open. Danville did make some pretty decent IHI stuff as well.

Personally I would go with SAC60% or SAC100% injectors (preferably 100%), 10mm CP3, lift pump, intake, and a 64mm turbo. Do you have any further details on your trans like what's in it or maybe who built it/listing so we know what it actually is? I ask because "stages" don't mean anything sadly.

Injectors: Stick to companies like Dynomite Diesel (DDP), Exergy, or S&S. Stay away from companies like LDS, Injectors Direct, Pensacola Diesel, Diesel Logic, and Industrial Injection.

Pumps: Personally I stick to Fleece, DDP, Exergy, S&S, and Industrial Injection. My most common are Fleece/Exergy but any of those 4 will treat you well.

Lift Pump: FASS, AirDog, and Fleece are the ones to use here for your goal. Personally I'd stick to FASS or AirDog for the added filtration. They both are good pumps so hard to go wrong there.

Intake: Banks or S&B.

Turbos: Fleece, Dan's Diesel, Titan, Black Label all are great options.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
100overs will put him close to stock PW and timing. The tuner will be able to manage the TQ the engine produces better increasing the chances he doesn't blow the engine. With good tuning it can be smoke free.
Well I'm not saying you guys a wrong it's just that before I put new S&S 45 over LBZs in my I read every thread I could find on 100 overs and there seemed to be alot of people that had idle smoke issues and their truck being smokey while DDing. With the lack of good tuners these days it could be a disappointment for some. That and I've been running a 6-650 hp tune for years on my 45s.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Well I'm not saying you guys a wrong it's just that before I put new S&S 45 over LBZs in my I read every thread I could find on 100 overs and there seemed to be alot of people that had idle smoke issues and their truck being smokey while DDing. With the lack of good tuners these days it could be a disappointment for some. That and I've been running a 6-650 hp tune for years on my 45s.
how old are those threads? tuning has come a long way since people started using oversized injectors

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
how old are those threads? tuning has come a long way since people started using oversized injectors
I agree.

With today's high quality injectors and tuning methodology/practices have made some MAJOR improvements in the last 2 years. My old body modded Exergy 250% were a little hazy at idle, the 300% from DDP we just put in a close friend's LLY are extremely clean and don't haze as bad (both sets had body mods). With "the big 3" injector companies it's hard to go wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2004LB7

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’ve heard the 64mm cheetah turbo is good. I’ve been looking at the stage 2 turbo from dans diesel performance. To be honest I am just getting into all of this I’m not clueless or retarded by any means just new. My cousin rebuilt an 02 Cummins from the ground up and I helped here and there when I wasn’t traveling for work. But as far as the cp3 I am not sure the condition. I planned on going through and spending a decent chunk of change when I rebuild. New interior new paint new rims tires fuel lines coolant lines etc so I’ll be replacing the cp3 as well so I know. Anything that works will be kept as a spare or sold. But more or less I just want to have 6-650hp but I want it to last. I know nothing lasts forever and when power is added you shorten the lifespan. But what are some things I can do or get that can help increase the longevity. With what I have now it’s solid like I said. It barely even roals coal there’s hardly any extra fuel burn. What size injectors would I want to look at? The stock injectors can hold up to 600hp but that’s pushing them.

to make the engine last, you want a low pulse width and alot of air to reach your power goal. So 100% overs and more turbo than you need. even going compound twins would be fine with good tuning. you will most likely need a new cp3 but a 10mm would work for the goal and leave more on the table for the down the road when 650 aint enough. you will be able to tow on SAC injectors juuuuust fine. who ever you heard that from is an idiot and doesnt understand the injectors design. LLY and up are all SAC injector design from factory.

im going to put money your stage 2 trans aint up to the task. you probably dont have enough clutch or pressure in it. Better account for that and plan to refresh/rebuild it. your next issue is going a bigger turbo, it will become laggy. a looser converter helps against that when unlocked BUT you need to be sure on the turbo you go with first.

im also betting you are 450hp currently and thats being generous. without a lift pump, ill bet that cp3 is cavitating under the bigger tunes and dropping rail bad.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Assuming he goes to 100 overs, how low can he be tuned for a tow tune with that weak trans? Mine was 390hp on tune 1 with 40 over LBS tips on my LMM with 68mmstg2r (685 on tune 5).