6.0 Gasser to a Dmax?

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I have a POS 6.0 2500hd that I bought for a DD. The original intentions were to eventually convert it to my new puller and strip everything off my 03 and put it back to DD/tow rig. I have done some research but cant find anyone who has converted one.

Will I still need a cluster and pedal assembly? Will the 6.0 radiator be enough for a puller? I would run water/air cooler and a fuel cell so do I really need the dmax core support? Are the t-case the same? I am trying to see if it will be better to buy a donor truck or can I just buy a motor, tranny, harness and computers and make the rest work.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I have a POS 6.0 2500hd that I bought for a DD. The original intentions were to eventually convert it to my new puller and strip everything off my 03 and put it back to DD/tow rig. I have done some research but cant find anyone who has converted one.

Will I still need a cluster and pedal assembly? Will the 6.0 radiator be enough for a puller? I would run water/air cooler and a fuel cell so do I really need the dmax core support? Are the t-case the same? I am trying to see if it will be better to buy a donor truck or can I just buy a motor, tranny, harness and computers and make the rest work.

I think that Ed (05smoker) and his brothers Orange reg cab was a 6.0 truck that they converted to a duramax.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Yeah i was gonna ask too, sell me the 6.0. I need a good one to put some forged internals in hehe.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
There are plenty of differences... Dmax rear axle is 11.5 instead of 10.5 (as stated above), dmax runs a NP263 transfer case/gasser runs a NP261 IIRC, fuel tank, fuel cooling radiator, fuel filler neck, trans cooler radiator, fuse panel (underhood), cluster is different, accelerator pedal is different IIRC, underhood (engine-ECM-trans) wiring harness is different, driveshafts are different lengths, etc. Also of course ECM, TCM, and engine/trans. AC lines may be different.

RichLMM

Sep 5, 2010
North Kingstown RI
according to the guy at duraburb he said you get the correct year motor for the truck its all plug n play he said if i brought him my 03 6.0 he'd have a 03 lb7 in it and running in a weekend

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
according to the guy at duraburb he said you get the correct year motor for the truck its all plug n play he said if i brought him my 03 6.0 he'd have a 03 lb7 in it and running in a weekend

Yeah I have heard the same - if both trucks are 03-07 you have a lot less work.

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
After all the years of unexplainable life from the ole white truck, and now you wanna pull with something else? That would just be wrong!!!! :D

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
After all the years of unexplainable life from the ole white truck, and now you wanna pull with something else? That would just be wrong!!!! :D

It will still be the motor out of the white truck. This truck is white too but its an 06 work truck and I wont feel bad about chopping it up into pieces to go open driveline.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
dmax runs a NP263 transfer case/gasser runs a NP261 IIRC,
I have no idea what transfer case a 6.0 gasser runs, but the only difference between a 261 and a 263 is one is manual shift and the other is electronic. The Duramax uses both.

Car RamRod

Right Meow!
Apr 12, 2009
Just west of Mobile, AL
I have no idea what transfer case a 6.0 gasser runs, but the only difference between a 261 and a 263 is one is manual shift and the other is electronic. The Duramax uses both.

The 6.0 comes with a 4L80e and a 261 or 263 in the HD trucks, the input shaft is different. T cases paired with the alli are actually 261XD and 263XD models.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
The best thing to do is get the whole truck for the swap, Eric at Duraburb does it because it make things much easier.

I just have a hard time justifying a donor truck because I will only be using the motor and computers.

I guess I should have been more clear. I am wanting to run a LBZ motor in the 06 truck. The truck will be a manual trans with big driveline. I guess I am curious if the 06 gas BCM, cluster and pedal will communicate with an LBZ ECM

john o

Feb 3, 2011
SUMMERFIELD, FL
imo jus go with a donor vehicle that way you will have everything just in case then part out/scrap the truck to get back some of the funds.