4L80E Duramax lets build a transmission!

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Hey all, ive done much searching but havent found a solid thread about building a 4l80e. Im a swap guy, and mine is in a 5th gen camaro behind a lb7. and i do have to say im impressed with the old 4l80e i got that is stock and shifts great behind my lb7 with a mild tune. That being said i know its a car and its light and my rear gear is pretty low and i would like to up it also, as im running 1900 rpm at 60 mile an hour.

So with that in mind i was wonderng if anyone could post up their 4l80e build combos and lets us know how it works and what would be better/worse. kind of make a cheat guide to running a 4l80e with a duramax.

Outline for posts to include:

-engine rpo
-2wd or 4wd
-transrebuild kit
-trans hard parts
-trans controller
-torque convertor
-vehicle
-vehicle weight

Then maybe include a small description on how it shifts and anything else that important to mention.

I think that should about cover it anything else i should chage let me know, maybe this could be a sticky if enough response.

Thnaks!

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Ill start

2001 LB7 with 90 hp tune.
2wd
not rebuilt, found trans at wrecker with 200 plus km on it
no hard parts upgraded
running ms3 pro controlller and very happy with simplicity of it
running stock 6.5 diesel convertor
2014 camaro
3900 lbs

Trans has been working good. ive made some full throttle pulls in overdrive with torque locked and it feels solid.
I would like to rebuild the trans and add shift kit next. one down fall is the torque convertor feels sloppy. once it locks up it pulls like crazy tho.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Mine isn't much different than yours.

05 LLY
2wd
stock, unknown mileage Craigslist buy
No trans controller, micro switches on shifter to activate/de-activate solenoids based on gear.
Toggle Switch for lockup.
Stock van converter, stalls around 2400ish.
1951 Sterling-White Street Rod
3300 lbs with driver.

Trans has around 15k miles, been all over the country with probably 100+ passes mixed with highway pulls. Never hiccuped though I've nuked 3 engines in the same time frame.

With the 2.20 glory gear in the quick change its around 1350 at 75mph.

I don't know that you're going to get what you're looking for, don't think there are a ton of guys running an 80 behind a Dmax. Though JoshH has(d) one in his van so he would be able to give some really solid insight on what works.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
At 3900 lbs with a 90 hp tune in an LB7, there's no need to do anything really. Are you planning to do some engine upgrades and substantially increase power?

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
No plans for big power here. Just want a reliable combo that i can hop in a go for a drive without worry. Most power ill ever make will be only with a tune anyways, so im not sure where that puts me, 400hp? is that about right for only tune no hard parts.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If I were you, I would just go in there and do a refresh with new high energy clutches, dual feed the direct clutch (lots of instructions online, don't use the transgo kit for dual feeding), and shift kit of your choice. Sonnax, Transgo, Superior, or a few builders all offer kits, and everyone has their preferences.

Last edited: