4l80e capability

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The weights we run and the torque the Dmax makes creates problems that no "standard" car trans can possibly handle in a reliable fashion.

What Evan and Mike have figured out these past few years to even get the Allison to last behind these ultra-high HP builds is nothing short of amazing.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I would think that the weight savings and the no defueling between shifts is the very reason a person would prefer to run a 4L80 especially in a race vehicle. I’ve read of people picking up 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile just from changing from an Allison to a Duraflite. Allisons have come a long way although they are still very heavy and leave something to be desired. Imagine how fast our Duramaxs could be if they shifted like a Hell Cat or a Demon. From what I’ve read Allisons , Duraflites or the 4R100 when put behind 1200 or more Hp they all require more frequent maintenance and rebuilding and doing the swaps is not cheap .

47/48’s were a way to try and get around an Allison when people couldn’t get them to work that is about it. You couldn’t pay me to use one behind a Duramax. If you’re building a race truck put a 400 in it and call it a day if you want to have something you still use the Allison can be everything in one just not what it could be at the track but at this point for what they are they do more then fine. The only truck to do anything impressive with a 47 from what I’ve witnessed at a few UCC’s it was shifting worse then an Allison and they might as well of had them zip tied in the way they had to swap them out after just about each pass

Last edited:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Defuel hurts et, I took it out of my tuning for my 6l80, it barks the tires on every shift thru 4th now. It's much faster ...

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Like Mike said, the 80 doesn't need any defuel. Unlike the Allison, it is not a clutch to clutch transmission that requires specific on/off clutch timing to prevent a tie-up. It uses sprags and one way roller clutches to hold and overrun during gear changes.

Aug 22, 2009
4L80 doesn't need defuel. You'll want to run a top notch stand alone computer where you can set every little thing on that trans. The one I built for the Grand National/Duramax worked out pretty well.

Mike, so you are saying you would not control a 4L80E with the factory TCM that has been tuned for a racing and performance application? If so, what limitations do you see?

Thank you,

Paul

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I think you will have more control with some of the after market controlers that I have seen.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
How much does a th400 ont 4L80 cost that will hold 1000hp/1800tq in a stripped reg cab? Might be my next move.