4L60E what's needed

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I'm helping a friend out that just made a long move to Nevada and his trans shit on the way, It's a stock 2002 GMC Sierra 5.3L with about 113,000 miles. We pulled it out and found a stripped sun gear shell wich is common I guess, everything else looks really good except the seal for the output shaft to the input drum I'm assuming it was for the lube circuit probably starved the back a little.

He's short on funds, no tranny experience, so my labor is free, and I've done a few a long time ago. He just wants to go back to stock with it since it's a stock truck, so just looking to replace all the bushings, timkens, clutches/steels, band, maybe sprags but they look good, bonded pistons look good but it looks like they come in most kits. Pump looks great, stator support looks good. Gonna put a new converter in.

The question I have, there is a few kits that fix common issues in the valve body and pump, shift kits ect....Wich ones are a must do? Wich hard parts are a must replace? Any advice is appreciated since I don't do this very often.

I had to do my own 4L60E on a 97 truck that shit because the converter would rapidly apply/release at highway speeds and smoked the convertor and everything else in the trans. I remember a upgraded valve or kit came out to fix this issue after I did my trans but the truck was already gone. (Still had the apply/release issue) But like I said don't want to miss any common issue's like I did on that one. :eek:

Thanks

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Definately do the band as most of the time they crack once removed and will delaminate if you try to re-use it(or maybe this was just my luck). TRANSGO wakes an SK kit for these and I believe they now include the lockup valve for teh valve body that wears on them. Mike posted another kit he reccomends awhile back, but I don't remember no who makes it. If it was mine I would do the band, beast sunshell(don't waste your money on another GM one to fail again), a TRANSGO SK or HD2 kit, corvette 2nd gear servo, seal kit, new apply pistons, upgrade the 3-4 clutch pack while your there with some blue plates, TRANSTAR HD converter, and do the solonoids as many times the sunshell will fail from a solonoid hang-up. I'm no expert by any means on these either, but this is how I would go about it.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Thanks ferm, the beast was definately on the list :D On the old one of mine I did a transgo kit not sure wich one and the corvette servo but my second gear WOT was way to harsh I ended up putting the stock servo stuff back in I think. It was so bad I had to let off before the shift just felt like the driveline was gonna vacate the premises :rofl:

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
i would just do a basic refresh, buy a new reaction shell from the dealer, they around $50. if he is on a strict budget i have used a kit from either advanced auto, or auto zone, not sure which one. they come with everything, all the steels, fibers, band, and all seals and gaskets. if you go this way i would get a better pan gasket as it comes with a cork one, these kits are like $100 and i have atleast 3 to 4 of them that have over 100k miles on them with no issues.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
i would just do a basic refresh, buy a new reaction shell from the dealer, they around $50. if he is on a strict budget i have used a kit from either advanced auto, or auto zone, not sure which one. they come with everything, all the steels, fibers, band, and all seals and gaskets. if you go this way i would get a better pan gasket as it comes with a cork one, these kits are like $100 and i have atleast 3 to 4 of them that have over 100k miles on them with no issues.

For an extra $20 you can get one that won't fail again whereas the GM one will be the same he has now as the last GM update was in 00 or 01.

Call me monday.
:thumb:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Man I saw you guys are from Nevada and thought maybe I could help. Youre a good 4-5 hrs from me though :(