4 wheel drive indicator light does not work??

MaineLB7

Nov 30, 2014
After selling my LB7 I am now the proud owner of a 2004 5.3 gasser. This truck has the floor shift for the 4 wheel drive. When you put it in 4wheel drive the indicater light does not come on. I had the dash replaced but the light still does not come on so the problem is not in the dash. The 4wheel drive works so it's not that it's not engaging. Is there a switch on the floor that could be broken? Any help or if anyone has any idea where the problem could be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

80uHwOC.jpg

MaineLB7

Nov 30, 2014
I would assume it does as I had a 99 with the floor shift and when I put it in 4 wheel drive a blue light came on that said 4 wheel drive. It definitely has a light how else would you know for sure it's working as sometimes you can forget to shift it back and the truck doesn't feel any different without cutting the wheel all the way to one side.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
on the manual shift 4x4 trucks, the front axle actuator has a switch in it that sends a +12v signal to the ECM that the front axle is engaged, then the ECM sends a data message to the cluster requesting 4x4 indicator illumination.

So theres either a bad connection at the "axle switch signal wire" from the front axle actuator to the ECM connector, the axle actuator is bad, or the ECM has the wrong calibration in it.

Ben

MaineLB7

Nov 30, 2014
Thanks Ben, so what your saying is I probably can't fix this myself and it's probably not worh the expense to have someone else diagnose and fix the problem. Sucks because I wanted this new truck to be perfect.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Thanks Ben, so what your saying is I probably can't fix this myself and it's probably not worh the expense to have someone else diagnose and fix the problem. Sucks because I wanted this new truck to be perfect.

Of course you can fix it yourself..start trouble shooting...

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
on the manual shift 4x4 trucks, the front axle actuator has a switch in it that sends a +12v signal to the ECM that the front axle is engaged, then the ECM sends a data message to the cluster requesting 4x4 indicator illumination.

So theres either a bad connection at the "axle switch signal wire" from the front axle actuator to the ECM connector, the axle actuator is bad, or the ECM has the wrong calibration in it.

Ben

That makes sense. I switched to the 6128OS when the DSP came out. That would coincide with when the light stopped working.