4-500 HP on 260,000 miles??

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I'd like to get yalls opinion on this! Is it out of the question to shoot for a 500 horsepower goal on a 260,000+ mile truck?? I know I'll have to upgrade the clutch for sure. Everything seems to be in good shape, tranny shifts good and tight, engine holds 40-80 pounds of oil pressure, runs at about 175-185 degrees, holds 20-22 pounds of boost at WOT. I don't plan to run 1/4 miles all the time or pull the truck, just want bragging rights :D for the occasional race against friends and have more power than my dad :woott:.
What do yall think? Am I asking to much from my old LB7 or will it take the bump?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The factory clutch isn't going to do well at 500rwhp if my reading is correct.

The Dmax engine is built very well, and shows little wear with age.

As you ramp up the power though, life expectancy goes down, which is true for all engines.

Go for it!

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
You are right, I know that clutch won't last long. But I plan to leave it to about 80-100 hp over stock and drive carefully until I get the new high po clutch put in

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
I'd bet if anything shows it's face (other than the clutch that def needs addressed), it will be your head gaskets. My brother has 259k and thats what happened to his recently at 500 hp.

But I still say go for it. :D

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I wouldn't worry about turning it up. You shouldn't have any problem that any over DMAX should have at those levels.:thumb:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Thanks guys, I am going to go for it for sure. And 400,000 plus, that's crazy! Hope mine lasts that long. I am already saving for the tuning, next will be the clutch. Wish I could do it all now but I'm a poor college kid, slowly but shurely I'll get it though! :thumb:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
What all would be needed for me to hit this goal anyway? Besides a much better clutch and all. I mean will I need a lift pump and higher flowing injectors? Or can it be done with just the high flowing intake and exhaust I have plus some custom tuning? (I've been talking with a guy from diablo who is going to to custom tunes on a dsp switch)

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
A good clutch, lift pump, since you have an LB7 the ported turbo inlet, PPE boost valve and Banks Bighead wastegate are all good additions to the IHI and you'll get a little more out of it, and of course a good tune.

My truck made 494 with a stock turbo and injectors. You'll love it especially with the ZF!! :thumb: Good luck and have fun!!

02dirty

Jun 21, 2009
salt lake city utah
A good clutch, lift pump, since you have an LB7 the ported turbo inlet, PPE boost valve and Banks Bighead wastegate are all good additions to the IHI and you'll get a little more out of it, and of course a good tune.

My truck made 494 with a stock turbo and injectors. You'll love it especially with the ZF!! :thumb: Good luck and have fun!!

my truck made 494 also :thumb: but it was turned down due to high egt temps

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Thanks guys, that doesn't sound bad at all! I think I am going to start with a lift pump, tune, and clutch. Then if I feel the need (which I know i will:happy2: ) I'll start adding the boost/turbo. I'm a little scared of doing that because I don't want to blow a head gasket

02dirty

Jun 21, 2009
salt lake city utah
do a clutch befor the power adders ..kinda need to get the power to the ground for it to be useful. imo ...then do a lift pump and then a good tune ....if you do a big tune and a pump and your stock clutch fails then you got a very expensive boat ancor :roflmao:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to the diesel scene! I just want my truck done right and figured it's better to ask experts than just wing it :thumb:

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
Does a lift pump add any power or is it just to feed a big tune? And can I put a lift pump in before it gets tuned?

It helps even without a "big tune", I had one when I ran my Edge, it felt alot better with it.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to the diesel scene! I just want my truck done right and figured it's better to ask experts than just wing it :thumb:

Lots of knowledgable guys here that are willing to help, read, read, read...... all the stuff your doing has been done alot round here.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Do the lift pump if it is what you want. It helps flow make sure it will flow if it stops and not shut off fuel supply line. Raptor is a nice one with built in regulator and flow thru too. Clutch has to get done though you don't want to loose it and sit on the road. Is a Centerforce clutch what you might put on? Several to look at good luck.