2019 D-Max Loud Ticking

CH-Diesel

Jan 25, 2021
New York
Hello, New to the forum, having issues with a 2019 silverado 3500 I just purchased about 3 weeks ago. The engine has developed a very loud ticking, sounds like its coming from the drivers side. At times you also hear a thumping noise that sounds like its coming from towards the front of the engine. Also when I was on the highway I stepped on the pedal to pass a trailer (just kicked it down a gear not floor it) and the truck shuttered like I was on the rumble strips on the side of the road. I traded in my 2014 3500 for this truck am not a happy camper. When I went under the hood to look around I also found the upper radiator hose collapsed ant he coolant jar full. I cracked the lid on the jar and you could hear it suck some air in and the level came down. Yes its covered at the dealer, but I'm not having a whole lot of faith with them, they set me up with an appointment and told me to drive it to them 45 mins away. I asked about a tow, they said just drive it over. Like I said not alot of faith in them. I'm open to any ideas as to what you guys think, to compare with what the dealer comes up with to make sure I get fixed correctly. Thanks in advance.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
is this thread relevant?

CH-Diesel

Jan 25, 2021
New York
Thanks 2004LB7, I just went out and listened to it again, sounds like the thumping noise is coming out of the airbox, but the ticking sounds just like a collapsed lifter, the truck is not throwing any codes, I don't want to wish anything wrong on myself, but I sure hope this is not the normal sound! I've been driving the truck for a few weeks and all this noise just started this weekend.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I definitely wouldn’t touch a single bolt on the truck if it’s still under warranty. Don’t worry about them asking you to drive it in. Worst case, if the motor for some crazy reason went on the way, you’d get a new motor

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
So you have had a Duramax before? Are you familiar with the Dmax tick and that’s not the tick your talking about.

CH-Diesel

Jan 25, 2021
New York
OK, here is update number one, on the way over to the dealer the truck had developed serious hesitation and the traction light came on. I read the codes in the parking lot before going in. The codes were U0101-TCM communication issue, P01D5,P01DA,P02DA,and P0304 which all have to do with injector timing, learning, and communication. The dealer gave me a call this afternoon to let me know they have ordered all new injectors and will start by replacing them. Fingers crossed. I'll keep you guys informed.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I've heard of a few injector issues popping up on the 20's strange the older l5p's don't seem to have the same issues?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
OK, here is update number one, on the way over to the dealer the truck had developed serious hesitation and the traction light came on. I read the codes in the parking lot before going in. The codes were U0101-TCM communication issue, P01D5,P01DA,P02DA,and P0304 which all have to do with injector timing, learning, and communication. The dealer gave me a call this afternoon to let me know they have ordered all new injectors and will start by replacing them. Fingers crossed. I'll keep you guys informed.

I would place my bets that it’s not injector, it’s a dpf issue. My truck did the same thing and threw those codes quite a few times. The dpf finally melted down completely internally and shut the truck down as the mechanic drove it. New dpf and truck has yet to throw a code (still the same injectors). I was basically telling the service writer to order the damn injectors and quit dicking around till the mechanic called as I stood there and said “yeah I might need a tow, I’m down to 20mph”.

They need to monitor the back pressure and pressure differential of the dpf. That will tell them the story on it. It’s also most likely why you have a hesitation.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've heard of a few injector issues popping up on the 20's strange the older l5p's don't seem to have the same issues?

All the ones I’ve heard needing injectors didn’t actually fix them. It would end up being air leaks or exhaust issues. These trucks are extremely sensitive due to the emissions bs

Last edited:

CH-Diesel

Jan 25, 2021
New York
OK, update #2, the dealer called last night, while the technician was changing the injectors on the LH bank he saw something he didn't like with a rocker arm he didnt like so now they are changing all the rocker arms on the LH side. The guy on the phone couldn't tell me what he saw, but would find out, Stay tuned.

CH-Diesel

Jan 25, 2021
New York
OK, update number three! The dealer during their troubleshooting had done some serious digging into the cause of these problems and found out that the issue was #4 injector leaking at the seal. It gets better, they think another dealer had miss diagnosed the problem and had changed a head gasket, so when they were investigating things found a keeper off of the bridge. The valve was still operating as it should, they inspected to make sure no contact had occurred. Maybe I underestimated these guys and they,re trying to take care of things. I'm a little worried if there was any more damage done, but the dealer just called again and they inspected everything the best they could and assume the keeper was not installed. What gets me was the head gasket replacement was never reported on the carfax report that the dealer gave me when I bought the truck. Truck should be done today and going to have a serious chat with the service manager.

tylerdurden

Jun 30, 2015
Austin
OK, update number three! The dealer during their troubleshooting had done some serious digging into the cause of these problems and found out that the issue was #4 injector leaking at the seal. It gets better, they think another dealer had miss diagnosed the problem and had changed a head gasket, so when they were investigating things found a keeper off of the bridge. The valve was still operating as it should, they inspected to make sure no contact had occurred. Maybe I underestimated these guys and they,re trying to take care of things. I'm a little worried if there was any more damage done, but the dealer just called again and they inspected everything the best they could and assume the keeper was not installed. What gets me was the head gasket replacement was never reported on the carfax report that the dealer gave me when I bought the truck. Truck should be done today and going to have a serious chat with the service manager.
What do you mean specifically about a keeper on the bridge; the pad that goes on the bridge? Was injector# 4 loose, to cause a problem on the sealing washer? Does the motor have the infamous “knocking noise”?