2015 LML hard down shift

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So my dad picked up a loaded GMC cc/sb few months back. He loves the truck as do I but driving it yesterday after dropping him off to pick up his motor home, I noticed it has quite the harsh down shift from 3rd to 2nd and a pretty good "hit" if you let off the throttle coasting, slow to around 20-30mph and then give it some throttle to go again like when your stuck in traffic. Asked him about that and he agreed it was shifting harsh right in that area and gears. Truck has 5200 miles on it. Anyone have this issue as well or know of a tsb/tcm update? Feels just like a trans tie up.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
My dad's 2015 Dually has some weird trans issues also. Reverse seems to double engage really hard. It acts like it's in reverse but when you lift off the brake it slams in. No issues with mine though.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Mine did this in toe haul first couple times I pulled a light trailer. Went away quickly

Was he in normal mode or tow haul?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My dad's 2015 Dually has some weird trans issues also. Reverse seems to double engage really hard. It acts like it's in reverse but when you lift off the brake it slams in. No issues with mine though.

his reverse works great but down shifts just are not nice. trying to talk him into going to the dealer with it but hes having flash backs of his 07 when he had trans issues and the dealer wouldnt just replace the valve body (which wound up fixing the issues after he started raising hell, even the tech at the dealer agreed with him originally.)

Mine did this in toe haul first couple times I pulled a light trailer. Went away quickly

Was he in normal mode or tow haul?

normal mode. i dont even think hes had it in tow/haul mode yet. most ive done was turn all the safety stuff off to see if it would pitch itself sideways around a corner from a stop and no boost launch. it did :D. my luck that hurt it somehow

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well atleast hes not alone. i was hoping there was a new flash ready at the dealer but they are playing dumb. Might need to go back through our connections again...

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Look for the RPO code "AVF" in the glove box sticker.

AVF denotes "2015.5" model year, with the new DC/digital speed sensors, and new T87 transmission controller.

Or just look at the TCM. The 2006-2015 TCM's all look the same, like a regular Allison Gen IV TCM...2015.5+ T87 looks completely different.

Ben

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Problem is I can replicate it every time without trying. I kept having it do it over and over hoping it would learn out of it but no dice.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Mine has the allison tcm, no wierd downshifts at all. I do have friends with the 15.5's and they all complain about shift quality. I dont think its just the tcm though, gm changed the sensors in the trans...

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
My guess is that GM never bothered to re-evaluate (in depth) the sensor tooth/tonewheel design when they switched from the old variable reluctance (AC) sensors to the new hall-effect (DC/digital) speed sensors.

Maybe they thought they could compensate/adjust for a "wrong" tonewheel (which was obviously originally designed for use with a VR sensor) in software (or hardware, adding extra conditioning circuitry in the hall-effect sensor itself)...but in the real world, it doesnt work perfectly all the time.

When you design hardware, tooth size, frequency, and tooth count on a speed sensing circuit, there are some pretty decent differences to take into account when dealing with a sensor that is just measuring a digital flip/flop/on/off/yes/no change in state (hall effect), and a sensor that produces a zero-crossing analog waveform that varies gradually in both amplitude and frequencey (VR).

Anyone who has seen an Allison C1/C2 drum knows what the teeth and teeth spacing look like (or what the PTO gear looks like on earlier transmissions), in my limited understanding of the 'theory' of operating, its not ideal and doesnt look much like a true hall-effect tonewheel.

Or maybe GM did infact change the tonewheel design to suit the new sensors on the 2015.5, and Im totally wrong.... Ive never taken apart a 2015.5 "AVF" trans to look at it. My parts catalog only goes up to 2013, and its not worth my time and effort to dick around with the dealer asking them to look up all of the exact differences (if any) between a 2015 and 2015.5 trans.

Or maybe it has nothing to do with the speed sensors at all, and GM simply hasnt quite figured out how to fine-tune the new T87 TCM yet? Who knows.

Anyone elses guess is as good as mine. :confused:

Ben