LLY: 2006 LLY Cold Start Alternator Output Problems

rennat_2006

Feb 18, 2010
Pasco, Wa
Posted this over on another forum also and just wanted a set of fresh eyes and idea's because im stumped. Been fighting this for more than a month now and i dont trust my truck because of it.:confused:

Heres my problem...
About 6 months ago i would get a random like once a month "Battery not charging" message on the instrument cluster and the voltage gauge would be sitting at the mark between 9 and 14. I knew that the factory AC Delco batteries were on their way out and one day i went out to just a click from the starter. Replaced the batteries and all was well for the next couple of months.

About a month ago i start getting the "battery not charging" message again on like every cold startup and it would stay on until you revved the engine up then kick off and the voltage gauge would show 14 or just a hair above the rest of the day until it was shutdown and let cooled off all of the way. I replaced the alternator and had the batteries load tested, Batteries load tested good.

So now with known good batteries and the new alternator im no longer getting the "battery not charging" message but voltage still takes like a minute 15 seconds to come off of the 12 volt mark. I have hooked a voltmeter to the batteries and the output of the alternator and confirmed that it isnt just he gauge and that the alternator truely isnt putting out. Start it up and let it run for like a minute 10 second/minute 15 seconds with a volt meter on the back of the alternator and you can watch the voltage come up to 14 or so. Also once it comes up to 14 or just a hair over the voltage gauge flickers around for the next couple of minutes then finally settles at the normal voltage.
Heres a video of the no alternator output, Right after the video ended the voltage went up...
Video

Heres what ive done so far...
Removed and cleaned the 2 grounds on each side of the block in front of the engine mounts.
Remove and cleaned the ground underneath the drivers door hinges on the frame.
Used a volt meter and checked to make sure alternator was grounded good, put positive on output post and negative on alternator case with engine off and had battery voltage.
Put positive lead on alternator output wire in junction box and negative on battery negative then moved positive lead to alternator output stud, Found there was 0.07 difference between directly at the alternator output stud and at the end of the wire/fusible link at the junction box that is connected to the output stud.

Also found out yesterday that if you start it cold the alternator doesnt kick in for like a minute 10/15 seconds like mentioned above BUT if you just turn the key to the run position and let it sit there for a minute or so then start it alternator voltage will come up instantly.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Its your glow plugs staying on. They pull alot of juice once started and stay on 15-30sec after startup depending on engine temp.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Glow plugs and possibly the grid heater if it's cold enough outside.

rennat_2006

Feb 18, 2010
Pasco, Wa
90 degrees outside and my alternator doesn't kick on for 1 minute 10 seconds. Like I said in my original post I've tested it with a dvom at the alternator and all it has is batt voltage till the 1 minute 15 mark.

rebel7777

Diesel Head
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park, AB Canada
I would try another alternator, there shouldn't be a hesitation on startup. Sounds like the regulator that is built into the alternator could be bad or going bad. When they rebuild the alternators they don't test the regulator for how long it takes to react, just that it does. I think you can even get a new regulator by it's self and try it.

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
When mine is cold at start up the volt meter shows about 11.5 volts..then after a few minutes it tops at 14 volts..the problem is I work only a few minutes away so the truck is not warming up fully before I get to work.

I have the check engine light on and after reading the code it shows thermostats and that the engine is running cold..I am sure it might be related. How hard to replace the thermostats on the 2006 3500?

rebel7777

Diesel Head
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park, AB Canada
When mine is cold at start up the volt meter shows about 11.5 volts..then after a few minutes it tops at 14 volts..the problem is I work only a few minutes away so the truck is not warming up fully before I get to work.

I have the check engine light on and after reading the code it shows thermostats and that the engine is running cold..I am sure it might be related. How hard to replace the thermostats on the 2006 3500?

Remember there is 2 of them,

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
Remember there is 2 of them,

Rebel,

Thanks yes I saw there are two and they seem to be close to each other, with work and travel and still healing from a very fast motorcycle crash I am kind of limited on what I can do with my right hand and being that I'm right handed it makes work tough.

How long does it take to remove and replace them?

Thanks again,

John

TNeill

Diesel Power
Sep 5, 2011
North Louisiana
My understanding is that ecm delays alternator engage for about 75 seconds to eliminate charge load surge after engine ignition. All three of my dmaxes do the same thing and I have read the regulator charge signal wire from the harness. There is no signal for the alternator to charge untill 75 seconds or so after start up. Going to investigate to see if there is anything else in wire harness or ECm programming . Will try to update when information is confirmed.

rennat_2006

Feb 18, 2010
Pasco, Wa
I have heard that before but i know for a fact that my truck didnt do when i got it and for many miles afterwards. I bought it at 107k and it didnt start acting up until like 128k or so.

rebel7777

Diesel Head
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park, AB Canada
I can definately say mine doesn't do it, you would see it in the gauge and on the dvm when I had checked mine.

Most alternators have enough capacitors in them to compensate for load surge, I would be surprised of this is the case. I used to rebuild a lot of alternators in the past, and I know that we just checked to make sure it charged never every checked for delay on startup, which to me would be a bad regulator. Does the voltage float at all on your alternator?