2 cycle oil for a fuel additive?

ibcnu

Jul 13, 2020
My brother passed away, his 2003 2500 HD is mine now. it has 166k miles. I've already put a new steering gear box and pump in it. Fuel Filter, Air filter...I hear "old school" owners talk about adding 2 cycle oil to every tank full. This is overwhelming, please go easy on this old newbie...

DL0310

Feb 11, 2020
East Coast
Sorry for your loss, and welcome to the forum.

2 cycle is the old school and can cause problems with emissions intact engines. Recommend an additive like Power Service, Stanadyne, or Hotshots...etc. It all depends on what you are willing to pay, what is available in your area and the temperature/weather.

I run Stanadyne year round additive(blue label "all season") so I am covered for the winter (Maryland) and to add lubricity; then about every 6 months or so run a course of Hotshots Diesel extreme.

Hit up the search function on the forum for "fuel additives".

DL0310

Feb 11, 2020
East Coast
correct the two stroke as a good lubricator; however, depending on the temperatures in winter you will need to add an anti-gelling additive.

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
I use to run walmart 2 cycle in all my trucks i've owned. I love it. I started running hotshot's and liked it allot. It is easier than put in than 2 stroke oil. I think hotshot's is the best additive out there.

Reactions: DL0310

ibcnu

Jul 13, 2020
Thanks for all of your advice, The weather is not a problem other than HOT. I am driving between Atlanta and Montgomery weekly. Today is a solid 95. Winter is mostly a non issue. So, with the TC-W3, just pour it in every other tankful? Or every tankful?

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I ran 2 stroke in my LB7. (1) pint per tank of fuel. Wally World stuff, blue jug. It would idle smoother, and my last set of injectors lasted WAY longer than the previous (3) sets.

I've thought about running it in the LML, but haven't yet.

Just my experience.

ibcnu

Jul 13, 2020
Another Question, I do not know the maintenance history of the truck. I have plans to drain the fluid out of the rear end, should I use a special weight oil? Synthetic? How about the U- joints and that big A transmission?
Thank you all for your knowledge. I truly need it.......

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
75w-90. Only use 140 if you two heavy in the heat often. Synthetic or not is up to you. Obviously synthetic will normally be the better choice

U-joints, check for play. May need to disconnect one end to feel the slop. Otherwise no lube points unless someone replaced them with aftermarket

For the Allison, you want Dexron 3. don't loose the magnet on the filter

Reactions: ibcnu