1972 c30 dirty max can i get alittle help

dirty-b

KCCO!
Jun 5, 2010
Central MN
Looks good so far:thumb: I might be little sensitive today too. Kid at work asked for help, then when I try to help sits there and tells me I'm wrong and it should ne done this way:mad like he always dose.

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
I Agree Donor is the easiest. I picked up mine 01 rc lb drw Lb7 2wd ali for $5500 it only has 120k on it. Deals are popping up everywhere. There was a wrecked 05 4x4 in cali for 4300. Perfect donor for a west coast guy. Gone now but they pop up. Good luck.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
You need to do some more research on the parts your piecing together. LLY rods are not the strongest, LBZ/LMM rods are stronger. LB7/LLY pistons are better than LBZ/LMM (crack less). It goes on & on, all the info is on this site, if you search a little.

I think you are bitting of more than you can chew piecing this together. However I understand a budget, some things are just out of reach:hug:

Great project, I had thought of this a few years ago (converting a burb into a CC) but gave up do to lack of time. I hope you pull it off, it pegs the way cool factor.

Be patient, & polite to the guy's on this site and they will give you a wealth of knowledge. Good luck.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i dont mean to sound upset but im just saying if some one tells you the lly is perfect but there know to break cranks and or that the lb7 is the only way to go when we know they have problems of there own and im sure the lbz and lmm do to if you push them or let them get alittle ware and tear to them so instead of picking one motor im doing the foot work now and finding out whats the best of the best and im going to put my motor together just like i have for my whole truck and im not just slapping some parts together im putting together the best duramax i know of just like every thing i have picked for this truck is the best of all chevy parts i got a 14bolt full floater out of a 77 sense it is the rear axle heaviest ever put into a chevy a 203 transfer out of the same 77 205 out of the 72 which i will merge in to a dual so that i can ride the highways with good fuel mileage and creep in the mountains when i want im using a 72 c20 frame, the suburban cab is a 71, the pick up cab and front clip is out of my 72 that i started out with

i uploaded some photos of spare parts and doors and this photos were taken right before i merge the cabs for the crew cab and i have yet to cut the forth door theres also a photo of a 4l80 that i was going to use sorry for the poor quality photos taken with my cell phone

but if you know of a donor ill be more then happy to take a look but at the same time im not going to put my truck on hold till i find a donor cuz if i could i would love to put it on the road or atleast be in paint by this time next year this truck has been 2 years in the works and with my new job with all the ot time i want i plan on kicking this project in high gear

try again sunshine. AAM 11.5 is the currently biggest offered in a chevy 3500 on down. it was offered from 01 duramaxes/8.1Ls on up. cranks breaking isnt due to power, stock trucks have broken cranks with low miles. Sit down and start searching this site, there is more info here than everyone can remember. I think you got a cool project and good luck :thumb:

btw, there is a 01 rc/lb 2wd out here for 4000 bucks. its got not mechanical issues and drives nice.

Last edited:

72burban

Aug 22, 2011
try again sunshine. AAM 11.5 is the currently biggest offered in a chevy 3500 on down. it was offered from 01 duramaxes/8.1Ls on up. cranks breaking isnt due to power, stock trucks have broken cranks with low miles. Sit down and start searching this site, there is more info here than everyone can remember. I think you got a cool project and good luck :thumb:

btw, there is a 01 rc/lb 2wd out here for 4000 bucks. its got not mechanical issues and drives nice.

I didn't say the biggest rear end I just said the strongest and I have yet to see any body tear apart a 14 bolt yet and I didnt say there was crank breaking due to to much power just I talk to scrap yards and after market guys tell me that thats there Down fall and where this truck at?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I didn't say the biggest rear end I just said the strongest and I have yet to see any body tear apart a 14 bolt yet and I didnt say there was crank breaking due to to much power just I talk to scrap yards and after market guys tell me that thats there Down fall and where this truck at?

there is a reason GM didnt put the 14bolt behind a stock dmax. for your app i think you will be fine and i dobut you will be hauling the loads that the 11.5 is needed for. if you do decided to throw a decent amount of power at it though, be prepared for carrier bearing issues or parts breaking. and you didnt state strongest, you said heaviest. could be taken either way but no worries :D. I dont know how the crank is a downfall :confused: either you got a weak one or you dont. So far, they have been showin to make a 1709hp dyno pass, a few 1200hp drag strip passes, and multiple 900-1000hp drag strip passes. kinda the same with a allison trans input/output, it will either hold 800hp or it wont hold 500hp.

can you please put some punctuation in your post too? its a bit hard to make sense of where a sentence ends and doesnt.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

I know of at least one broken 10.5 behind a CUMMINS, so they are not that super stout. DODGE did put a 10.5" behind the CUMMINS, but it is teh DODGE version of the AM 10.5" nothing like the GM version. The 10.5" is a good hearty axle, but the carrier seems to be a weak link in them. I've beet on mine a bit and so far so good, but I don't put big HP to it either. I know your on a budget, and that lump sum of $4-5K sounds like alot, but once you piecew one together I promise you it WILL ost you more once your done. My $6K donor truck(which I turned around and sold the frame and stuff I didn't need which brought it back down to about $4k) was the least of my conversion costs when it was all said and done, and this was with a fairly complete donor truck.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
The 14bolt will go out behind a Cummins with less than 500hp. A guy I know has shelled out 3 in his 84 K30 Cummins. As far as a doubler you'll need a 205 from behind a th400 or a 85-91 4spd. Those have 32 splines and work with the doubler kits. Otherwise you'll have to get the housing machined and put a 32spline input in anyways which equals more expence. The 203 needs to probably have a custom input machined for the Allison because none makes them production. We've been down this road over the last 5yrs trying to build some stuff. Our 67 K20 has been delayed years by holdups but we're going to use a 01 frame and running gear now and just transplanting the body onto it.
Listen to these guys and buy a donor. It will cost way more if you don't. I bought one drivetrain for $5000,one for $3000 and one complete pickup for $3000.

72burban

Aug 22, 2011
ok guys im not trying to fight but heres my point of view i have the 14 bolt aready if i tear her up ill replace with something more. as far as the 203/double i got my machine guy on the custom houseing and i replace the input shaft going in the 203 and have a shaft adpater/extender to bridge the the gap from the ally to the 203 so thats already taken care of.

as far as the truck goes i dont really have a budget some much as a time frame i want this truck done before i go to school next year(to prevent some of the wiser guys on here from saying i need to save for school i have a full ride to school thru my welding program) and as far as budget i got all the ot time i want and with no real bills my cash goes to my truck and as far as sheet metal goes truck will be done at 6k which will leave me with 12k unless i need more then ot time kicks in :thumb:

i dont know how else to say this lol if i find a donor i will buy and use it but if it comes time for the motor and i havent found one im not going to wait around ...

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
nothing wrong with the lb7s at all they get a bad wrap for eating injectors but its your cheapest route because they made them from 01 to 04 and are easier to work on EXCEPT! changing injectors is a bitch because they are under the valve cover try to stay away from the cali models they have egrs which can be removed.The lb7 pistons are stronger but use lbz rods or go to carillos.i have 2 lbz motors im parting out rite now so if you need rods let me know and if you need a builder lb7 talk to billyr on here he has 4 or 5 blocks pretty cheap.Good luck with your project and i hope you have a you tube channel and can post videos of the truck build,thats gonna be a bad ass rig for sure! :thumb:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
ok guys im not trying to fight but heres my point of view i have the 14 bolt aready if i tear her up ill replace with something more. as far as the 203/double i got my machine guy on the custom houseing and i replace the input shaft going in the 203 and have a shaft adpater/extender to bridge the the gap from the ally to the 203 so thats already taken care of.

as far as the truck goes i dont really have a budget some much as a time frame i want this truck done before i go to school next year(to prevent some of the wiser guys on here from saying i need to save for school i have a full ride to school thru my welding program) and as far as budget i got all the ot time i want and with no real bills my cash goes to my truck and as far as sheet metal goes truck will be done at 6k which will leave me with 12k unless i need more then ot time kicks in :thumb:

i dont know how else to say this lol if i find a donor i will buy and use it but if it comes time for the motor and i havent found one im not going to wait around ...
I would start building your motor now and if you find a donner you can sell the motor to offset your purchase of the donner that way your ready to go if not and you know what you have when you build it.Better start working that ot LOL:rofl:

72burban

Aug 22, 2011
haha four 12 hour shifts one 10 hour and one 8 hour shift hahaha a few pay checks and hello motor :thumb:

86dmax

86max LB7,PPE Hot Tune,
May 2, 2010
I swapped a lb 7 in my 86 chevy k30 4x4 and would not attemp this swap without a complete donor trk.

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Where are you located?