LB7: 160K+ mile upgrade and tuning

Papa311

May 8, 2013
NW Indiana
I am looking to upgrade and tune my 03' GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4x4e truck has just hit 160K miles and is stock other than slightly taller tires (no wide or aggressive tread). I have a friend with an 03' Chevy 3500 4x4 dually that has upgraded to a 4" exhaust, K&N air filter and Bullydog programmer that has a tremendous difference in power and fuel mileage than my truck. He claims he is getting 550ish HP from his current setup and I have seen for myself that he is averaging 19.5-19.8 MPG for combination city/highway driving. My truck feels very sluggish in the low end power band and is only getting 13.8-14 MPG (this may be off as I am running slightly taller tires). I am looking for advice on the following: 1) Am I at risk of doing damage at this point in the engines life by upgrading and tuning? 2) What upgrades are most important for power/mileage and longevity? Exhaust, air filter, fuel filter (2 micron filtration), pickup pump etc? I would like to drive this truck 400-500K miles or until the wheels fall off. 3) What programmer or tune is best suited for what I am trying to accomplish? I am not looking to make a drag strip truck out of it but I feel like a 550HP diesel is reasonable for a truck as heavy and utility as a 4 door 2500HD 4x4. I would like to have an all around mileage/HP tune, a highway tune for long trips and a towing/ off road tune. 4) What am I missing?

I am relatively new to the diesel scene and open to suggestions from a group of experts. I look forward to some knowledgable input.

Thanks,
James

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I would stay away from bullydog as well, Efilive is the best and safest way to make power and better mileage.

Papa311

May 8, 2013
NW Indiana
As much detail as possible in terms of intake, filter, exhaust, EGR delete and lift pump would be appreciated. I dont want to build with components that don't gel well together.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Lift pump, EFILIVE tune, 4" exhaust, AVOID THE K&N or oiled filters, and start saving for a built trans as power becomes addictive and sooner or later you will push it to hard if your not careful. And I HIGHLY doubt 550. As for milage, if he is using the DIC for milage it will be wrong after it is tuned with a bullydog. I get an honest 21 running 70-75 out of my LB7 with my current tuning, so it is possible to do it.

Papa311

May 8, 2013
NW Indiana
What is the easiest way to determine the differential gear ratio? I assume that 1 of the digits in the vin tells this? If so, which and what are the codes? IE: 6th digit is a 7= 3.73 gear etc.

Thanks.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
What is the easiest way to determine the differential gear ratio? I assume that 1 of the digits in the vin tells this? If so, which and what are the codes? IE: 6th digit is a 7= 3.73 gear etc.

Thanks.

If you have a DURAMAX engine and it hasn't been regeared, then it has 3.73's as ALL DURAMAX's have 3.73 gears in them. You can check the RPO codes on the label in teh glovebox, GT4=3.73.

Papa311

May 8, 2013
NW Indiana
Lift pump, EFILIVE tune, 4" exhaust, AVOID THE K&N or oiled filters, and start saving for a built trans as power becomes addictive and sooner or later you will push it to hard if your not careful. And I HIGHLY doubt 550. As for milage, if he is using the DIC for milage it will be wrong after it is tuned with a bullydog. I get an honest 21 running 70-75 out of my LB7 with my current tuning, so it is possible to do it.

Any preferred exhaust, air filter/intake setups? Preferred lift pumps?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Avoid oiled filters ? Now you tell me. 350,000+ miles on mine with no i
HTML:
ssues.

If you have a DURAMAX engine and it hasn't been regeared, then it has 3.73's as ALL DURAMAX's have 3.73 gears in them. You can check the RPO codes on the label in teh glovebox, GT4=3.73.
No van love.
:D
2010+ vans with the 6 speed and dmax do not have 3.73. 06-09 dmax vans do have 3.73

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Avoid oiled filters ? Now you tell me. 350,000+ miles on mine with no issues.

No van love.
:D
2010+ vans with the 6 speed and dmax do not have 3.73. 06-09 dmax vans do have 3.73

To many oiled MAFS and P0102's for me. I keep MAF cleaner on the shelf for customers who insist on running K&N's, and keep popping check engine lights.

Papa311

May 8, 2013
NW Indiana
Bump, off topic

We are getting way off topic. Am still looking for some varying opinions on setup and equipment. Any help folks?

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
EFI, lift pump, extra filter. Most of the other items won't matter till you build the trans, that is going to be your weak link to start with. If you want 550hp you'll have to do it.

If you don't want 550hp because of cost and only want to run a 100hp over stock tune then, you can to the items above and the standard CAI, exhaust, horn mod, stickers...all the normal mod things for vehicles. That is around the most "safe" hp you can run on the stock trans.

Papa311

May 8, 2013
NW Indiana
What would you recommend needs to be changed/upgrade on the trans? General idea of cost? I don't mind investing in the truck as long as it gets me towards my mileage and life expectancy goals for it.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
From what it sounds like you want this is what I would do.

EFI with stock trans safe tunes on a dsp5.
Gauges I would at least do a egt gauge. For gauges I run the Edge Insight plus you can run your dsp5 with it.
4" exhaust
*3" down pipe
* Turbo horn you can port your stock one or get a profab one.
Lift pump Airdog or Fass 150-165gph some come with filter set ups or you can pieace together a pump and filter setup for cheaper.
Air intake I would just mod your stock intake or go aftermarket and if you buy one with an oiled filter just dont go crazzy when you oil it.

The ones with stars are if you have time and money. I ran with just EFI, gauges, 4" exhaust, and a moded air box for a year and it ran great but it did run better with the other stuff once I put it on.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
From what it sounds like you want this is what I would do.

EFI with stock trans safe tunes on a dsp5.
Gauges I would at least do a egt gauge. For gauges I run the Edge Insight plus you can run your dsp5 with it.
4" exhaust
*3" down pipe
* Turbo horn you can port your stock one or get a profab one.
Lift pump Airdog or Fass 150-165gph some come with filter set ups or you can pieace together a pump and filter setup for cheaper.
Air intake I would just mod your stock intake or go aftermarket and if you buy one with an oiled filter just dont go crazzy when you oil it.

The ones with stars are if you have time and money. I ran with just EFI, gauges, 4" exhaust, and a moded air box for a year and it ran great but it did run better with the other stuff once I put it on.

x2 with above.

OP your buddy is no where near 550hp. hes about 100-150hp under that rating he has in his head

Maricopaagent

Glamis Anyone?
Oct 10, 2011
Arizona
19 mpg, he isnt driving on a hot tune.. Sorry.

my ppe tune I got 15.5 mpg mix.17ish if I drove like a grandma ALL the time. . efi, who knows , but it smokes less and is faster..

SSTuning..

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
To me it sounds like the OP just wants to wake his truck up some and is new to diesel performance. You could get gauges, a canned programmer (used?), boost bleed valve, and port the intake horn for a few hundred dollars.

It won't be winning any races but you will definitely see gains, maybe enough to keep you happy (for a while) and it could be done by Saturday afternoon.

We are never happy till the rods are hanging out the side but sometimes it's fun to take some time getting there.