15.5 LML losing coolant slowly

b.d.keathley

Apr 30, 2014
Des Arc Ar
Just towed 16k lbs 5k miles and noticed the coolant reservoir is abot 1/2 inch beow min. I dont see a max fill level on the reservoir. Can these LML’s have head fasket problems like the LLY’s? I feel like all I do is baby these Duramaxes and they have problems tuned. I have a few buddies that beat the hell out of there Cummins and have no problems.

b.d.keathley

Apr 30, 2014
Des Arc Ar
6.7 Cummins blow head gaskets worse then llys. Lml seem to fail just like all the previous years.

Didn't know that the LML do that. Figured the Cummins were worse which is why I was wondering why they are harder on them and both Duramaxes were babied and have had issues and it seems. I have buds with LMLs and Cummins that both beat the hell out of em. No trans builds or head studs. I blew my trans w in 100 miles when I lived in Cali going to Cachuma Lake pulling my 16k toy hauler barely on the throttle.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Problem we see with cummins is if they use engine brake a lot it blows head gaskets. If not enough then turbos. Catch 22.

b.d.keathley

Apr 30, 2014
Des Arc Ar
I was gunna say, you wanna see hg issues, drive a cummins

Id figure that too.. Hey when I was at my buddies in Fort Mojave AZ I had too climb a hill out there by the Riverside hauling 20k trlr. Man I was so worried cuz I just had Mike L trans installed and didn't want to blow it with the tune so I tried to stay out of the boost. that might have been what let the heads go. That hill was gnarly(6% grade)

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
The sad seam is on the side tanks where the aluminum and plastic crimps together. I have replaced 2 and they were leaking about in the same spot. I wouldn't just assume it headgaskets. It could be many things

mopar3

Aug 16, 2017
Head gasket failure will blow out coolant when running with a heavy load due to excessive pressure build up in the system. Did you spit any coolant out of the pressure bottle?