12/16v battery's

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Anybody ever tried one of the small lite weight aircraft/race battery's on a Dmax? Thinking about trying one out on the Nova for size/weight reasons. Even two would be less weight than a stock single. The CCA are comparable to a factory battery.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...atteries-8020-164-35-redtop-starting-battery/

I have run this battery in my truck for 3 years now with no problems. I only have one in the truck and it weighs under 40lbs. I have let it go dead several times and I charge it back up and it seems to start the truck just fine. When I first redid all the wiring in the truck I used 4ga. battery wire and it was getting hot after cranking for about 20 seconds so I took all the 4ga wire out and replaced it with 2ga and it's been good since.

Michael

ISSPRO Engineering Mgr
Feb 17, 2009
Happy Valley, OR
I think Brad ran into a problem trying a 16V battery on the new Willys, the ECM did not like the high voltage. May need to run a DC-DC converter to get back down to 12-14 volts.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
With two battery's I can run 24v to the starter and 12v to the rest Michael. I had to do it that way in the Sprint Car because we started direct drive no clutch. At 24v it would put you in your seat firing off the car, 12v wasn't as impressive haha.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
16 volt

I have run both 12 and 16 volt. 16 works just fine. The ECM is fine up to 19 volts. Brayden pulled up all the voltage tables and showed me the range the ECM was happy with when I was fighting the miss. I now run a 12 volt with alt but I think I'm going back to 16 for ease of stating. The fuel pump, fan shifter everything works better at 16 volt.

Michael

ISSPRO Engineering Mgr
Feb 17, 2009
Happy Valley, OR
I have run both 12 and 16 volt. 16 works just fine. The ECM is fine up to 19 volts. Brayden pulled up all the voltage tables and showed me the range the ECM was happy with when I was fighting the miss. I now run a 12 volt with alt but I think I'm going back to 16 for ease of stating. The fuel pump, fan shifter everything works better at 16 volt.

Good to know, LOL, they were probably chasing a different problem too! Hmmm, will have to decide whether to try 16V on my truck, but will probably start out at 12V since that's what I run in everything.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Not a DMax but I put a Lithium Shorai battery in my 1670 V-Twin Yamaha about a year ago. It was about half the size of stock, 1/10 the weight, has more cranking amps, and puts out at max until it is dead - no slow decent. Also leaving it sit for months doesn't bother it at all, still has a full charge and fires right up - no more battery tender to keep a lead acid or AGM battery alive.