Info: 06 LLY vs LBZ

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
Alright Guys, I'm not an 06+ guy at all and really don't pay much attention when there is talk about them so I need some info.

My brother just added an 06 LLY dually to his stable, that makes 5 Duramax's at his house now. Two '01 dually's, an '01 EC/LB, an '03 4500, and the 06 LLY dually.

So, what are the differences between the 06 LLY and LBZ, is it just tuning? Can I throw a LBZ tune on it and have the 350 or 360 hp (that the lbz's had) theoretically? Theoretically because, I know no one would just put a stock tune on a truck for the sake of going stock to stock, but you get what I'm saying.

He was asking about a tune that would be safe for towing big with the stock trans. So I started to wonder what the actual differences were. Could I just up it to an LBZ tune with slightly more, or was there something else that GM did other than rating the LBZ for more power?

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What they all said. I have an 06 LLY and got the same crappy pistons the LBZs have...

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
The tuning is the only difference, and I believe there's a GM cal update that "merges" the "LLY" and LBZ calibrations, so my GUESS would be if you have the update that "merges" the cals, your tuning is probably the same as a LBZ.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There were a couple of odd things I noticed on my truck when I put my motor together. When the 06s came out they were supposed to come with a longer main bolt that was marked on the head with an "O", but mine were the shorter ones without the "O". I didnt' know this before hand and replaced them with the longer ones without a problem. Also, supposedly they pushrods were changed to the solid ends without the oiling holes, but mine aren't solid. Not sure if they were getting rid of old stock or what, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

draftee

Nov 23, 2006
Maryland
There were a couple of odd things I noticed on my truck when I put my motor together. When the 06s came out they were supposed to come with a longer main bolt that was marked on the head with an "O", but mine were the shorter ones without the "O". I didnt' know this before hand and replaced them with the longer ones without a problem. Also, supposedly they pushrods were changed to the solid ends without the oiling holes, but mine aren't solid. Not sure if they were getting rid of old stock or what, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

Thanks Josh