06 LBZ smoke output issue

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So I’ve got an 06 lbz you guys may have seen in the monthly post that me and my buddy did an engine swap for. Blew piston 7 from either the fact he had a l5p glow plug in there or the crap tunes he had. Anyhow, put in one of Tony’s better motors (delipped lb7 pistons and lbz bottom end, head studs, etc) as I didn’t have time to build it. Got it running and engine is tits. Problem is smoke output from this thing.

He’s got a SoCal dsp in it so it’s reverse of normal (hot tune is the failsafe) and on initial throttle hit, she smokes bad. tried a few different tune renditions to the point it was doggy as hell but still smokes. Put a 100% stock tune back in and does the same. Mind you this is a VIN 2 truck so it’s the derated lbz.

No boost leaks
No exhaust leaks
Pulled air filter, no difference
Cleaned maf
Turbo is great shape
New injectors and pump with great balance rates and main rate
Lift pump on it with new filters.

I’m kinda out of ideas on it. Thoughts?

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I'm assuming the new injectors are supposed to be oem size since you said a stock tune should work on it.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
What cam is in it? My motor is useless off the line with 3 different turbo setups now, but I have a big stupid cam, and I knew that would be a possibility when I picked this cam. So an aftermarket cam can make it smokey down low.

Have you done a compression test?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What cam is in it? My motor is useless off the line with 3 different turbo setups now, but I have a big stupid cam, and I knew that would be a possibility when I picked this cam. So an aftermarket cam can make it smokey down low.

Have you done a compression test?

Stock cam and I’ve not done a compression test. I’ll probably check that when I get the truck back. I don’t foresee it as the issue though. Smoke output is still too high

Have you tried turning off injectors to see if the smoke reduces?

There is 0 smoke at idle or revving and the smoke is too smooth to be a single injector. I’d say 3-4 if it is.

I’m really leaning towards sending these injectors out to be test. They are from Alliant power (diesel forward out here) and are Bosch reman’s so I don’t have the best feeling about them.

I did find the pcv connection at the intake tube is not wanting to stay connected. I’m going to play with that as well before pulling any hard parts. Doubt it’s the issue but who knows.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Let’s see if this uploads right

View attachment 116483
looked at the log, everything looks to match a stock tune except for timing. the log shows much higher numbers more consistent with a modified tune. maybe an eco tune as everything else matches or is really close. PW, fuel pressure, MAF, etc. it's possible my computer isn't syncing up properly and is showing higher timing then the tune should have. but if you are sure it's a stock tune then I would point at the injectors.

maybe you were sent some oversized injectors by mistake??? or just bad injectors which is more likely

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Stock cam and I’ve not done a compression test. I’ll probably check that when I get the truck back. I don’t foresee it as the issue though. Smoke output is still too high

There is 0 smoke at idle or revving and the smoke is too smooth to be a single injector. I’d say 3-4 if it is.

I’m really leaning towards sending these injectors out to be test. They are from Alliant power (diesel forward out here) and are Bosch reman’s so I don’t have the best feeling about them.

I did find the pcv connection at the intake tube is not wanting to stay connected. I’m going to play with that as well before pulling any hard parts. Doubt it’s the issue but who knows.

Alliant is like buying from Pensacola...

Did the valve covers get sandblasted? Pcv diaphragms checked?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
looked at the log, everything looks to match a stock tune except for timing. the log shows much higher numbers more consistent with a modified tune. maybe an eco tune as everything else matches or is really close. PW, fuel pressure, MAF, etc. it's possible my computer isn't syncing up properly and is showing higher timing then the tune should have. but if you are sure it's a stock tune then I would point at the injectors.

maybe you were sent some oversized injectors by mistake??? or just bad injectors which is more likely

This is a VIN 2, not a D so when we flashed back to stock, we put in the detuned lly tune. Very possible the difference is timing

Alliant is like buying from Pensacola...

Did the valve covers get sandblasted? Pcv diaphragms checked?

Yeah, more I talk to guys, the more I’m agreeing.

Not sure if they were sand blasted, don’t know if Tony does that. I’ll have to verify pcv flow or crank case pressure when it comes back.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
This is a VIN 2, not a D so when we flashed back to stock, we put in the detuned lly tune. Very possible the difference is timing
I checked it against an LLY tune also and the timing was similar to the LBZ. I'm talking 20° in the log vs 1 or 2 in the tune(s)