05 transmission in 02 truck?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Definitely would've been nice to have more development for the Allison tuning. So much more potential left on the table. But I guess what we got was good enough for 99% of the people that tune the transmission. And 99% doesn't even touch it. So a very small market for sure

It's been awhile since I tuned one. But my recollection was that none of the codes where editable like in the ECM. So as you say, if anyone's doing it, it's probably HEX editing or CAX files. But as an alternative, couldn't you just wire in a low ohm resistor to the TCM pins where the G solenoid would normally go?
Exactly... none of them are defined or editable in EFI Live. So I am not sure if you set the existing tables to 0 if it will ignore it or set other codes. Unfortunately, I don't know the Hex stuff very well and I don't know how to make a CAX file to define the tables either.

I really wish some of the guys that have populated that stuff and are no longer tuning as a business would share it with EFI so they can define it for the rest of us guys that tinker with our own stuff.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I really wish some of the guys that have populated that stuff and are no longer tuning as a business would share it with EFI so they can define it for the rest of us guys that tinker with our own stuff.
Oh, wouldn't that be nice. Kinda like doing one last hail Mary FU to the epa by giving all that information to everyone over the internet. No way the epa could stop each and every person that wanted to tinker with their own vehicle. Yet...

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Oh, wouldn't that be nice. Kinda like doing one last hail Mary FU to the epa by giving all that information to everyone over the internet. No way the epa could stop each and every person that wanted to tinker with their own vehicle. Yet...
I was thinking along the lines of helping those that like to tinker with there own stuff. From what I understand some of the trans tables interact with the torque tables on the engine side and unless you have access to change the TCM tables that are not populated you can't really do much "tuning" on the trans side.

But I am no tuner...

But if there was other info put out there, there is not much they can do about that...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
According to the "Allison King" -Evan. He told me yesterday that if you put an early 01-02 trans in an 05 truck, the 05 truck would be looking for the missing G solenoid and set a Phantom Code. But that the trans would still work and you could disable that code with EFI Live.

So if the 04.5-05 LLY had the G-Solenoid and you put a trans from a truck that didn't have it, It would report that code.

I recall Mike say something to that effect too but I am not sure what post it was in.
Yes. But the OP wants to go the other way. ‘05 trans into an ‘02. He shouldn’t see any codes.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Maybe you 0 out the tables or something for the G solenoid? I am No Tuner...
Maybe some of them have edited the code tables with CAX files in the background???

It's really a shame EFI never really finished looking for more tables and adding the Diagnostic portion to the trans side.

View attachment 114643
Or you turn the CEL off in general, that's what 99% of people do as there is no downside to doing so for this specific instance.

Reactions: wydopenLb7

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Or you turn the CEL off in general, that's what 99% of people do as there is no downside to doing so for this specific instance.
Unfortunately the code for the G solenoid is not defined in the 05 operating system.

So you either have to find an experienced tuner that has mapped it.
Or I am told you can use an Early 03 TCM operating system as the solenoid wasn't used yet.

$chultz38

Jan 22, 2009
The bottom line is any '01 to '11 (meaning '10 5 or 6 speed) trans can be made to work in all years with changing- bell housings or using adapter fittings, internal harness, valve bodies, and nsbu switches to fit the truck you are putting the trans into. Yes there are a few year swaps that are easier swapped than others but as long as you have the old and new transmission side by side any swap is doable.

Reactions: Bdsankey