05 LLY into 99 RCSB 1500

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
No offense but I wet sanded and buffed my regular cab and it was my first time..... if you polish your paint correctly it shouldn't swirl like that. I looked at the pictures and it seems like they left polishing trails everywhere.

The body shop I used were really nice guys but I'm not real impressed with the quality of their work. I paid for a wet sand and buff and there's still orange peel, and I found a couple of fish eyes in the clear too. I've already taken it back to them once, so I'm just gonna suck it up for now. I'm moving back to AZ in a couple months, and I have a body shop there that I trust, may have them clean it all up at some point.

On the plus side, this guy was a lot cheaper than a lot of other places in the Denver area, so I guess you get what you pay for. It'll work for now, still looks a hell of a lot better than it did before.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
The body shop I used were really nice guys but I'm not real impressed with the quality of their work. I paid for a wet sand and buff and there's still orange peel, and I found a couple of fish eyes in the clear too. I've already taken it back to them once, so I'm just gonna suck it up for now. I'm moving back to AZ in a couple months, and I have a body shop there that I trust, may have them clean it all up at some point.

On the plus side, this guy was a lot cheaper than a lot of other places in the Denver area, so I guess you get what you pay for. It'll work for now, still looks a hell of a lot better than it did before.

Yeah, body shops aren't the best for wetsanding and polishing anyways. Only reason I know is because I've worked in a small one and they took pride in their work. Bigger nationwide shops for the most part are about getting stuff out fast.

Although those swirls don't look horrible. I bet you could correct the whole truck in a couple hours.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
This was a local place, but still, cheap generally doesn't equal quality. I just got up in the bed to put some trim back on the roof and noticed that they left hard water up there when they washed the truck, and now I have hard water stains on my brand new paint. Lol. I'll have to spend some time going over everything, but it's too damn cold right now. That'll either be a spring job here or an any time job in AZ.

Alright guys, vote time. Leave it as above, or put Duramax badges on the sides of the hood cowl? I'm torn, keep going back and forth about it.

IMG_20140120_111636_762_zpseedmoigb.jpg

IMG_20140120_111647_035_zpsh785o9mm.jpg

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Awesome job on the truck!!!!

Yeah, body shops aren't the best for wetsanding and polishing anyways. Only reason I know is because I've worked in a small one and they took pride in their work. Bigger nationwide shops for the most part are about getting stuff out fast.

Although those swirls don't look horrible. I bet you could correct the whole truck in a couple hours.

An eggcrate convex foam pad, some 3m foam pad polish, 3m hand glaze and a misting water bottle will make short work of those swirls. The key is to remember you are using a buffer on paint, not a grinder on metal. LOL!

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
No badges. Let people scratch their heads.

That's my favorite part with mine. I show up with a RCSB with 8 lug axles and a Quadrasteer bed on a jobsite with a Class V hitch and just about everytime I have someone ask me about it or just stare at it wondering WTF is going on. Then if they get close they hear it's a Duramax even though its quiet (3" downpipe, 4" frontpipe into stock muffler) and then they really scratch their heads. :rofl:

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
That's my favorite part with mine. I show up with a RCSB with 8 lug axles and a Quadrasteer bed on a jobsite with a Class V hitch and just about everytime I have someone ask me about it or just stare at it wondering WTF is going on. Then if they get close they hear it's a Duramax even though its quiet (3" downpipe, 4" frontpipe into stock muffler) and then they really scratch their heads. :rofl:

I get the same reaction when people hear Chum. The toy is not quiet at all but from a distance people don't notice the huge exhaust or 8 lugs.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Any updates?

How do you like your cal tracs? I was thinking of making my own traction bars but I like how yours are somewhat discrete. :D

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
No updates, truck has been at my brother in-law's place in AZ since the end of Feb since we are in the process of moving from CO back to Phoenix. I've driven it 3 times in the past 2 months :(

Cal tracs have been fine, no issues at all...I don't have anything else to compare them too though, so take that for what it's worth.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Wow.impressive for stock system!

The tuner button (to switch from am/fm) broke on my jank ass phase linear garbage head unit. I've gotta fix that b/c its stuck on AM. :(

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Installed a set of OEM half ton electric fans. Had to do a lot of trimming on the fan shroud to get the tabs to sit in the radiator slots. Made some brackets to go from the shroud to the radiator support, and cut up my clutch fan shroud to cover the gap at the top. Relocated my TCM to a small gap between the radiator, battery, and ECM. It's not secured in place but there's no room for it to move around so I think it's ok?

Rigged up a harness with a manual switch inside the cab for power on/off until my DC Control fan controller arrives. It's working great :)

Lower radiator hoses touch the fan shroud, but there's little to no pressure pushing them up against the shroud so I think this is ok.

IMG_20140614_132838_zpsfwdkmgr2.jpg

TCM location
IMG_20140614_132813_zpsnoeliqkv.jpg

IMG_20140614_132854_zpsigc0lynw.jpg

Finished product
IMG_20140614_132825_zpsp1lnk1xj.jpg

IMG_20140614_154913_zpstq1fnci9.jpg

IMG_20140614_154920_zps0roqxbie.jpg

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
I like that, an idler pulley seized on me on Thursday morning on my way to a jobsite and ate my belt. That night I wish I had electric fans :roflmao:

What did you source it off of?

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah the belts are not fun with the clutch fan installed, especially on a hot engine. The fans came off a 2005 Silverado 1500. I think 05 may have been the first year they were available, but you can get a set off of anything there and up. The GMT900 fans are the same except the blade count changed. Shroud is identical from the reading I've done.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Working on the next round of go-fast parts...ordered Kennedy twin lift pumps this morning, talked to Mike L and got his MLG-K converter on order, and in touch with Suncoast to have them put a rebuild kit together for me. Should be interesting learning to build a trans :thumb: