02' LB7 Tow Pig Build

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Hey Brad, why the Wagler stg 1 cam vs other companies stg 1 ? I’ve never got to put a cam in a Duramax yet and every time I do a Cummins they always want a Hamilton.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Hey Brad, why the Wagler stg 1 cam vs other companies stg 1 ? I’ve never got to put a cam in a Duramax yet and every time I do a Cummins they always want a Hamilton.

Simple answer is because Wagler was running a sale and they were ~$330 shipped. I was planning on just having the factory cam keyed but by the time I paid to key the factory cam it wasn't miles more to get the Wagler stage 1. I figure any small performance cam is better than OEM. Ideally I wanted a 3388 but I'm too cheap.

I agree on the Cummins side, Hamilton is definitely to go-to cam manufacturer.

Last edited:

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Uh I missed that sale when they had it. I too believe that the OEM cam could be improved a bit. Is wagler's cam already keyed? I'd assume so but I can't remember if Austin told me they were or if its extra. Is their cam kind of spec'd like comp's stg1 LST cam?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Uh I missed that sale when they had it. I too believe that the OEM cam could be improved a bit. Is wagler's cam already keyed? I'd assume so but I can't remember if Austin told me they were or if its extra. Is their cam kind of spec'd like comp's stg1 LST cam?

Yes the cam is already keyed. As for specs, I haven't the slightest clue. My thought process was "it's gotta be better than OEM and its new vs 260k miles so its better than what's in the block now".

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Brad turned me on to this one as well.

I missed it too by a few days, but when I called and enquired about it they hooked me up. ;)

If I recall, its similar to a stock cam with .020 more lift. It's also Keyed as mentioned.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Our thought processes are alot alike hava

I'll be one of the first to say I'm brand loyal to not only those who support the industry but also those who have the same outlook on a project as I do but I am definitely not one to pass up a good deal hahaha.

Brad turned me on to this one as well.

I missed it too by a few days, but when I called and enquired about it they hooked me up. ;)

If I recall, its similar to a stock cam with .020 more lift. It's also Keyed as mentioned.

I forgot about that email you sent me..........................

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Yeah $330 shipped is a deal I don’t think anyone could pass up. Even the $500 they are priced at ain’t so bad. But then you sit back and think are they going to run it again at that sale price and you wait lol. That’s my “cheap a$$“ mind set

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yeah $330 shipped is a deal I don’t think anyone could pass up. Even the $500 they are priced at ain’t so bad. But then you sit back and think are they going to run it again at that sale price and you wait lol. That’s my “cheap a$$“ mind set

I have definitely thought that question myself. Like I said, I have zero clue how it'll run but anything is better than the stock cam. If it gives me even ~20hp or if it barely broadens the hp/tq curves I'll be happy.

D_Ferrante801

I hate everyone.
Apr 2, 2019
Does anyone actually know the Cam Specs or is it a Glorified LBZ Cam ( marginally better than 01-05 if i recall correctly ) keyed?

Generally Curious is all.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Does anyone actually know the Cam Specs or is it a Glorified LBZ Cam ( marginally better than 01-05 if i recall correctly ) keyed?

Generally Curious is all.

I have the cam card but I don't know if it is intended to be public knowledge or not. Since I don't know how "secret" the data is supposed to be I won't post the cam card.

Based on this thread (https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/dmax-cams.4863/post-64834) the Wagler cam has more lift and duration.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well I went ahead and ordered a HSP S300/S400 compound kit. I've added a bunch of extra bungs to it in order to evaluate compressor and turbine efficiencies with my iDash. I am going to start with a S364.5SXE/68/0.91 and a S480/96/1.10 with borg v2 cover.

Plan for fueling is still the same with F1/Flux Diesel Injection SAC70% hybrids and 12mm stroker pump. I will be doing a Goerend R converter with extreme clutch as well.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well got the S300/S400 kit in from HSP today. I had them put v-band everywhere besides the connections at the intercooler. It is crazy how well the candy red pops in the sun (first pic is overcast and las is in the sunlight).

Attachments

• IMG_7492.jpg
    IMG_7492.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7493.jpg
    IMG_7493.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7494.jpg
    IMG_7494.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7498.jpg
    IMG_7498.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Dang! Looks good! Not normally a fan of candy colors but that’s a great color.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Dang! Looks good! Not normally a fan of candy colors but that’s a great color.

Thanks. The truck is a deep gloss black so I figured it'll look good under there. The plan is to do the engine tins (covers, accessory brackets, intake clams etc) in a dark grey metallic and do the lower valve cover in candy red to kind of bring everything together.

Haven't decided what I want to do on the compressor covers tho. I may get them done in that fake chrome/high shine to mimic polished but make keeping them clean so much easier.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well making slow progress since I've got customers jobs that need to get done first. Ordered the turbo on Saturday after my distributor closed and it showed up at PMT/Danville Wednesday morning and went back out in a matter of a few hours! Their race covers (PMT) are killer and they've got back to back pulls on the same compressor wheel showing their cover outperforming a Borg V2 cover on Danville's engine dyno with zero correction factor. The PMT cover brings the charger on sooner and carries up top like the Brog V2 cover but has none of the fitment issues (piping changes) that the Borg cover has!

Settled on a 364.5SXE/68/0.91 and a S480/96/1.15. I will end up giving a 1.32 a shot as well to see what/how much the driving characteristics change. I'll be running a set of Flux Diesel hybrid 70% injectors and a 12mm CP3 to keep up with the setup. Still up in the air on converter choice, I likely will go with a DK or R extreme clutch and go from there.

Attachments

• twins.jpg
    twins.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 53
  • PMT_480_4.jpg
    PMT_480_4.jpg
    950.4 KB · Views: 49
  • PMT_480_3.jpg
    PMT_480_3.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 47
  • PMT_480_2.jpg
    PMT_480_2.jpg
    857.1 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: 56taskforce

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Very curious to hear your thoughts on how it drives when you get it all together. Does look sweet!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Very curious to hear your thoughts on how it drives when you get it all together. Does look sweet!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Me too! Still don't know on the converter but can't go wrong with the support Goerend provides. Hopefully the heads will go to the machine shop next week followed shortly by the short block components.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
How’s this coming? Curious how the cam performs.. as you know I’m in the middle of my build and looking to do the cam now as well. Are you doing new lifters and pushrods as well? At the moment - eying the new comp cam.