01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
The service I linked you to brings it from their NY address to their Canada address. I’m parting a car and I just sent the dash cluster this way.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I've had a few guys order the PSC boxes and pumps lately with great results (installed one for a customer and dropshipped 2 more sets) and they are definitely a massive improvement over OEM or even a redhead in terms of initial feel. I cannot comment on the longevity yet as it is too early to tell on these 3 boxes.

Reactions: no spark

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I've had a few guys order the PSC boxes and pumps lately with great results (installed one for a customer and dropshipped 2 more sets) and they are definitely a massive improvement over OEM or even a redhead in terms of initial feel. I cannot comment on the longevity yet as it is too early to tell on these 3 boxes.
Do you mind elaborating if possible on "feel". Is it tighter? More responsive to smaller inputs(ratio)? Less muscle needed for slow speed maneuver? Etc.

I expected the main benefit of this box to be longer lasting because it's beefier to stand up to abuse of modified trucks, and maybe less muscle at slow speeds. I didn't expect other benefits besides that when compared to a stock box in good/proper working order.

At some point I'll upgrade, and I'm still leaning towards Lee redoing my stock box and pump, but I'm still undecided.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Do you mind elaborating if possible on "feel". Is it tighter? More responsive to smaller inputs(ratio)? Less muscle needed for slow speed maneuver? Etc.

I expected the main benefit of this box to be longer lasting because it's beefier to stand up to abuse of modified trucks, and maybe less muscle at slow speeds. I didn't expect other benefits besides that when compared to a stock box in good/proper working order.

At some point I'll upgrade, and I'm still leaning towards Lee redoing my stock box and pump, but I'm still undecided.

The box feels tighter and it feels like a quicker ratio than stock. I haven't done lock-to-lock measurements to determine if it actually is or not but that's how it feels. The steering effort is less but I don't know if that is caused by the PSC pump or a combination of the box and pump.

The box itself definitely looks built far better than the OEM reman boxes but they sure as hell make you pay for it. The only downside, besides cost, is you have to then run a 4 spline pitman arm which isn't a deal breaker but is a downside if you already have a better than OEM pitman arm.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Doubt it. The problem went all the way to the manufacturer. With Napa, O’Reilly, and Rock Auto (and maybe more retailers) going after them for $500 per mismarked unit, I’m betting this is never going to get resolved for the consumer.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
They don't listen even when we both tried to explain the situation. They don't stock parts, they just drop ship from other Wholesale warehouses. They really could care less and just put the same parts back in circulation. They have no way to deal with the source since they are not an authorized reseller. Your also left holding the bag in terms of the warranty too.

At least when I went through NAPA, They can actually go back to the source to get an answer and make sure their inventory get's checked and verified. Also No issue with Warranty.

I haven't really bothered to follow up or even drive the truck lately. I wanted to install all my new parts at 1 time and the box was holding me back.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
In case I forgot to update, my blue top problem turned out to be just a loose fitting. Blue top was willing to check it over and repair for just the cost of shipping, but it was unnecessary. I’m happy with the product and the company.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Hey i was reading up on this thread last night and it got me to thinking what for box PSC is using as the upgrade. I did some searching this morning and found that it seems they are using the 2013 to current body style box. I might have to try it out sometime but my box still works.

Threeweight

Nov 25, 2017
I emailed BBB industries to see if they could shed some light on whether the problem has been sorted... here's what I got back:

Rock Auto is not a retailer that we sell to. Rock Auto purchases from one of our wholesale customers and miss boxing seems to occur here. For your best satisfaction I recommend purchasing from Napa, OReilleys, AutoZone and Independent parts retailers.

Going to send them a link to this thread and point out people who purchased from NAPA were having the same issue. Kind of moot though, buying through those stores drives the price up to the same (or higher) than just buying the PSC XD unit (and it seems you actually get the correct part from them).

I don't think it's true that the PSC unit is the newer style truck component. For what it's worth, the photos on Rock Auto for the various steering gearboxes they carry for a 2015 truck (including new AC Delco units) have 4 bolt tops, where the PSC part is a 6 bolt.

From what I can tell, the original pumps for our older Duramaxes were similar the steering gearboxes for Dodge Rams of the same vintage. PSC sells a version of the XD steering gear for Rams as well... will do some research and see if there's any intel on how theirs have held up. All of these steering gears are based on 40+ year old Saginaw designs (which is not a great thing).

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
I searched for 2016 Ram steering gear On eBay. There are a couple of options. Lots more on car-part.com

Threeweight

Nov 25, 2017
Yep... there may be some internal and mounting hole differences, but externally the Mopar part for the 2009 and up Rams looks pretty darn similar to the PSC (and BBB) box for our trucks - https://klmperformance.com/products/mopar-68210720ac-dodge-ram-steering-box-kit-09-22

Doesn't solve the price issue. I don't mind spending the $$$ on the PSC box to get a new part vs. reman, I'd just like to know it's going to last a decent amount of time before I do. I really hate installing remanufactured parts, only to have to replace them 15-20k miles later.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
I can get a used one from local salvage yard for around 100$. I’m almost in the notion to get one and see if it fits my truck.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I can get a used one from local salvage yard for around 100$. I’m almost in the notion to get one and see if it fits my truck.

For $100 I'd be interested and then send it to Lee for a proper rebuilding. Although in the end, you'd probably be around the same as PSC.