01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Looks like XDP is selling them. Feedback shows that you'll need to address some issues: power steering shaft change, and lines need to be at least massaged. https://www.xtremediesel.com/psc-sg039-xd-steering-box
They are selling the PSC version which is only available with the 32 spline 4 flat shaft. PSC does not sell the 33 spline 3flat shaft version I emailed and inquired directly to PSC.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
No, not nice. 4 bolt box steering gears inside boxes labeled as 6 bolt boxes... IOW more wrong shit!
That Blows!!! Have them call the tech line and start a case. Obviously they didn't open the boxes and just looked at the numbers like everyone else...

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
That Blows!!! Have them call the tech line and start a case. Obviously they didn't open the boxes and just looked at the numbers like everyone else...
I have a call in to the tech guy I dealt with at BBB. I’m going to see if he will swap me. Otherwise I have the ticket to mail back to rock.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have a call in to the tech guy I dealt with at BBB. I’m going to see if he will swap me. Otherwise I have the ticket to mail back to rock.
I Just got off the phone. Napa's tech line is well aware of the issue and it's very likely all there inventory is like this all over the country. Apparently we are not the only ones trying to get it. They state there is none Available right now with the 6 bolts... Not Sure if BBB/ Vision has any at there place yet. But they said check back in a few weeks. I think they are waiting on another shipment.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Just hung up with my contact at BBB - he is the one that spoke to Napa at 11AM this morning. In short - they are in a world of shit right now. They sent out countless new boxes with remans inside ($400 difference in cost per box). Napa, O'reiley, Rock - etc are all filled with these mismarked boxes. He cannot help me/us because he has ZERO stock of 6 bolt boxes, due to COVID stopping his production and importing from China. Sounds like he's f'd as a company. All he had were apologies. I'll be sending this back to Rock and deciding WTF to do now, lol.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Just hung up with my contact at BBB - he is the one that spoke to Napa at 11AM this morning. In short - they are in a world of shit right now. They sent out countless new boxes with remans inside ($400 difference in cost per box). Napa, O'reiley, Rock - etc are all filled with these mismarked boxes. He cannot help me/us because he has ZERO stock of 6 bolt boxes, due to COVID stopping his production and importing from China. Sounds like he's f'd as a company. All he had were apologies. I'll be sending this back to Rock and deciding WTF to do now, lol.
YUP!!! China Strikes Again!!!

Can you reseal your existing box to get by for maybe another month or so?

Mine works But low speed maneuvers suck...

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
My options are to either get a cheap box with a warranty and change them with my oil changes, LOL... but I'm thinking what if I get the 6 bolts box in a 4 flat from XDP and change my pitman. Hmm.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
My options are to either get a cheap box with a warranty and change them with my oil changes, LOL... but I'm thinking what if I get the 6 bolts box in a 4 flat from XDP and change my pitman. Hmm.
Can do that too.

I want to use the PPE 7/8 Pitman arm on my set up so only option is a 3 bolt for me.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Napa rep just called - "I just talked to the manufacturer... what a cluster fuck..." LMAO.

You know my biggest fear is that I finally get one and then I can't make it fit my '08 for some unforeseen reason.:poop:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I contacted Blue top and asked how much to r/r my leaker, and instead they are going to warranty repair it for the cost of shipping. I'm impressed, as it is past the 12mos. So for now, I am taking the easy way out. Maybe I'll revisit this when BBB gets their shit together.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I contacted Blue top and asked how much to r/r my leaker, and instead they are going to warranty repair it for the cost of shipping. I'm impressed, as it is past the 12mos. So for now, I am taking the easy way out. Maybe I'll revisit this when BBB gets their shit together.
Glad to hear!!! Suck's, but at least they are standing behind it.

Sure would be nice if that slow boat from china had the correct product on it this time...

Reactions: N2BRK

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
So I found a used PSC box for sale but it had a broken output shaft.

I called Lee about them being able to get parts for it and rebuild it, but he said it’s essentially Chinese garbage and he wouldn’t waste money on rebuilding that, even if he could get parts for it.
He recommended going with their hydro assist kit, which seemed overkill but he said they have one they just don’t list it on their website right now.

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine

I called Lee about them being able to get parts for it and rebuild it, but he said it’s essentially Chinese garbage and he wouldn’t waste money on rebuilding that, even if he could get parts for it.
He recommended going with their hydro assist kit, which seemed overkill but he said they have one they just don’t list it on their website right now.
Well shit, that's definitely not what I wanted to hear. Hopefully it holds up for a while. At least I still have my OEM box. I'm definitely happy with how the steering feels, how long it will last though is the $64,000 question.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Well shit, that's definitely not what I wanted to hear. Hopefully it holds up for a while. At least I still have my OEM box. I'm definitely happy with how the steering feels, how long it will last though is the $64,000 question.
It may have just been his sales pitch, I was kinda surprised though. I know PSC is a trusted name so I doubt they’d put their name on garbage

zparker686

Nov 12, 2014
Maine
It may have just been his sales pitch, I was kinda surprised though. I know PSC is a trusted name so I doubt they’d put their name on garbage
Yeah some people automatically equate made in China = garbage. Sometimes true, sometimes not.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard

My concern with that box was what else could be damaged. If the housing is cracked Due to what ever force Sheered the shaft, It's basically junk. I Got a qoute from PSC to rebuild the box but it's not much cheaper than buying New when you factor in shipping cost.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
My concern with that box was what else could be damaged. If the housing is cracked Due to what ever force Sheered the shaft, It's basically junk. I Got a qoute from PSC to rebuild the box but it's not much cheaper than buying New when you factor in shipping cost.
You saw it too? Yeah I definitely was concerned about what else would be damaged from the type of impact that causes that. But figured for the price it wouldn’t be that bad if it turned out to be a paper weight. I’m rethinking that now though due to Lees comments and not even quoting me on a rebuild

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
You saw it too? Yeah I definitely was concerned about what else would be damaged from the type of impact that causes that. But figured for the price it wouldn’t be that bad if it turned out to be a paper weight. I’m rethinking that now though due to Lees comments and not even quoting me on a rebuild
Yes it's been for sale for a while now for $100. Maybe the guy will take less.

Was $250 for a rebuild, $79 for the shaft and what ever shipping charges. Plus I would need to pick it up.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Got a Quote to repair the Damaged PSC box from PSC. The shaft is $79 and the rebuild is $250. By the time I purchase it for his asking price I would be over the Cost of getting it from Rockauto Before paying for the shipping to send it to them. Even If I gave him $50 for the box, The Hassle of driving to go pick it up plus fuel makes it not worth my time.... Maybe if one didn't know of Rock Auto's pricing it might seem like a good deal considering what PSC sells it for. They only offer it in a 4 Spline version too as they say it fits a wider range of vehicles.
This is how long ago I contacted PSC about it. I saw it well before that. Maybe April/May time frame.

no spark

Dec 4, 2020
Wanted to bump this up as I am in the market for a new steering box, the reman in my 04.5 is a pile of shit! I have been reading until my eyes bleed and thought I was ready to pull the trigger with a Blue top steering box until Ryan emailed me back as said that they would not ship to Canada because of COVID...

Has anyone been able to get one of these boxes through RA or NAPA? I would really hate to have to return a steering box several times just because they can't get the right part in the box.