01-07 Trucks with Lift Kits - Question

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
Hey guys,

Long time viewer but don't write too often on here. I had a general question regarding these trucks with lift kits, specifically brands. Is there one company that people prefer over others i.e (fabtech, cognito, bds)? In general I assume most lift the truck and fix the angles accordingly, but is there one people prefer over others?

I know there will be different responses but want to get other people's opinion on it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
As long as you run a lift kit that actually drops the differential you're in good shape. I know I've used a few BDS lifts and been extremely pleased with the ride quality and fitment but it's been quite some time since I've installed a lift kit at our shop.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I used cognito and everything fit great except for the rear shocks where way too long. almost as if they expected me to install 6" blocks in the rear but it didn't come with anything for that. also didn't come with anything to accommodate the ABS sensors. they where a little tight and had to drill a hole to route them through the middle of the knuckle and reach without strain.

otherwise great kit

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
tough country has always been the best of the cheap kits in the 4" or 6" lift. many sled pullers used them and geometry stays correct.

cognito is top notch. mcgaughys and bds are great kits as well. Ive never been one for the kits that relocate the stock UCA down lower to retain the stock knuckles but i believe FTS an the likes do supports now on the drop down bracket for the steering center link.

procomp is ok, they fixed alot of issues from their earlier kits. fabtech is meh, still needs more suspension geometry fixed but i doubt the ever will. RCD is decent as is rough contry. i believe RCD, procomp, rough country and even fabtech will have you crank a 4" lift kit to get the full 6" lift which is no good on suspension/steering angles.

Reactions: Animals1234

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Stay away from Pro Comp!!! It may just be the older kit's but they used a drop bar to lower the center link to keep the steering correct when dropping the arms and using stock spindles. There customer service blows too!!!!

A co-worker has this kit and it has tried 3x to kill him... 1 time the drop bar cracked and came apart on the steering arm side. The other 2 sheered the tapered Pin on the steering Arm.

I believe the Cognito kit is likely the best on the market.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Stay away from Pro Comp!!! It may just be the older kit's but they used a drop bar to lower the center link to keep the steering correct when dropping the arms and using stock spindles. There customer service blows too!!!!

A co-worker has this kit and it has tried 3x to kill him... 1 time the drop bar cracked and came apart on the steering arm side. The other 2 sheered the tapered Pin on the steering Arm.

I believe the Cognito kit is likely the best on the market.
yeah thats the older kits. i think in 2009 or 10, they came out with a kit that was a knuckle drop instead of the UCA drop. Back when nick at cognito owned "Norcal truck", he and i did alot of suspension shit together. We put alot of lift kit info up on Diesel Place back then.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I’ve never installed a lift but always am looking at a 4”. Something I always see mentioned is track width. Some of these kits will widen the width of the truck by a lot. These front ends are already wider than the rear so that might be something to consider if that look doesn’t appeal to you.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
a widen track width will come with a knuckle style lift. its a draw back but most good kits midigate this as much as they can. you are also limited on wheel backspacing as well due to the knuckle getting in the way. the UCA drop lifts let you run a factory wheel if you want.

each has its draw backs.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I didn't notice any increase in width with my cognito knuckle style kit. that is one of the things I researched before buying it. I too was concerned

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Cognitio has the least added track width. Only like 1/4” spacer in the cv axles.

Most kits add 1.5” or so

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Cognitio has the least added track width. Only like 1/4” spacer in the cv axles.

Most kits add 1.5” or so
mine came with 1/2" spacers but the passenger side popped out and tore the boot on the inner joint several times until I put a 1" spacer in it. not sure how as I didn't see any increase in width but didn't do any good before measurements

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
there was some issues with cognito spacers depending on where you set the height at. i feel like they made them on the short side as i know guys were putting i think either 1" or 3/4" spacers in place of the spacers they came with and worked without issue. im guessing they changed that at some point cause i dont really hear about it. Corbins truck has a newer kit i think too.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
there was some issues with cognito spacers depending on where you set the height at. i feel like they made them on the short side as i know guys were putting i think either 1" or 3/4" spacers in place of the spacers they came with and worked without issue. im guessing they changed that at some point cause i dont really hear about it. Corbins truck has a newer kit i think too.

Yeah I think my kit is mostly newer. Maybe 5 -8 years old.

Also mine is set as low as possible. My CV’s are pretty much negative.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My Fabtech worked well for me in my ‘07 for many years. I’m going to be lifting my ‘03 this winter and haven’t decided which kit I’m getting so this thread is a good one.

Reactions: Animals1234

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
yeah thats the older kits. i think in 2009 or 10, they came out with a kit that was a knuckle drop instead of the UCA drop. Back when nick at cognito owned "Norcal truck", he and i did alot of suspension shit together. We put alot of lift kit info up on Diesel Place back then.
Ironically the first time he had an issue, I was able to find an old set of Instructions online. There Technical support was no help... First they denied it was there kit. Then they said they had never had a Single component failure of any of the thousands of kits they have sold... Fortunately the kit had a list of part numbers and he was able to call back and order the broken drop link.

All the failures occurred at low speed when the most stress is on everything. I don't know if these guys are over tightening the nut tapered pin or what... I assumed that was the case when the draglink broke. A local shop replaced it with supposedly the Moog HD and that sheered on a road trip. The owner and his son replaced it with what ever parts store they were able to source and it did it again