Drag Racing 101, Please teach me

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
OK. That's easy enough to understand.

What do guys do for exhaust if they require a turn down pipe facing up? Just swap anytime they go racing?

I use air duct. Some self tapping screws or rivets. Don't use dryer duct it'll fall apart and unravel down the track.

Attachments

• 14401107938062133321575.jpg
    14401107938062133321575.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 116

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
My local tracks have never said anything about my exhaust. Standard side exit.

As you get a feel for the staging lights, stage shallow... Your et doesn't start till the front tire rolls completely out of the beam. Staging shallow lets you get a "running start". Every little bit:)

unionmax481

hot rodder
Aug 8, 2014
lebanon in
Some race require upwards pointing exhaust but not mandatory at real race if your truck is real smokey at as you spool the turbo abd cover the tree you will be dqed aka smoking out the tree

bubbaburger911

Jul 14, 2014
New Jersey
What should I expect to pay to run my truck at the drag strip? Is there normally an entry fee or something like in other forms of racing or is it pay per number of runs or for a period of time?

NRA223

May 20, 2015
Every track i have been to charges admission and you can run all day. I'm sure cost varies track to track. It's not expensive until you break something. :roflmao:

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
My track has dedicated test and tune days, Saturday during the spring and fall, Wednesday during the summer, $35 and $15, respectively.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Are tracks generally as strict about exhaust and smaller stuff on test and tune days?
My track doesn't care at all. I am courteous and always take the right lane since my exhaust dumps out of the fender. After I ran my first ten they just asked if I had a helmet, haha.

unionmax481

hot rodder
Aug 8, 2014
lebanon in
Tes abd tune every Wednesday at lucas oil raceway spring thru fall $20 to run i stay in the right lane as well so i don't smoke out the guys running the tree the only thing they look for is nothing in the bed and helmet if your 11.99 or faster

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
If you take your head light out don't leave your head light pins on the air box all night while you race and loose one;)

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Are tracks generally as strict about exhaust and smaller stuff on test and tune days?

Diesel events yes, most tracks no. Diesel events normally know about the hazards associated with a turbo coming apart whereas your average track does not. Many tracks will require a turndown aimed upwards though as the starting officail doesn't like having to mop the track after each truck runs, or get sooted out severely.

MD_Max

Need More LLY's
May 2, 2014
My track doesn't care at all. I am courteous and always take the right lane since my exhaust dumps out of the fender. After I ran my first ten they just asked if I had a helmet, haha.

I cant believe they haven't asked you about a cage yet.

king44481

Apr 29, 2015
I really appreciate all of the additional feedback. What I am trying to do with this thread is give someone a step by step of the entire day at the track. First post is all about what is needed to have the truck ready to go to the track. Next week I am working on a post that details what to do once you have arrived. Then I plan on the whole procedure of racing. getting to the lanes, staging, what to do if you break and so on.

Once it is all done I can gather my info and what everyone else has added, make it into a single post and create a sticky in the drag racing section if the mods approve.
I plan on racing eventually. Thanks for starting the thread and advice. A bigger thanks for hooking me up with efi the other day!