Drag Racing 101, Please teach me

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
I am starting this thread to hopefully get more people interested in going to the drag strip. It baffles me that at every race there are 100+ diesel trucks sitting in the parking lot with there owners sitting in the stands watching. You know everyone of them are watching trucks go down the track and are thinking to themselves, "my truck is faster than that one". Get a couple beers in them are they aren't thinking it to themselves anymore.

I will be sharing my knowledge and experiences in the coming posts about drag racing and what I do to prepare and race. Hopefully others will chime in and share the wealth of knowledge that this forum has. Maybe we can get a few more people out onto the track if the process isn't so intimidating.

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
I am going to the race. How do I prepare?

Here are a few ideas to get ready for the track and to start having some fun.

I guess I will call this the pre race portion. Those who know, please chime in.

1- If you are going to the track, make sure that your vehicle is clean and free of mud. Tracks don't like you leaving dirt when you launch.
2- Make sure all of the garbage you have accumulated over the last couple months is cleaned out. Tech inspection will check.
3- Make sure your vehicle is in good shape. Oil and coolant leaks will get you booted from the track. It slows down the process when they have to stop and clean up your mess.
4- Make sure your truck can handle the stresses of the track. Tierod sleeves and braces, death wobble fix, etc.
5- Don't take anything to the track you aren't willing to leave unattended at your pit space. All loose objects must be out of the vehicle when racing.
6- Bring a helmet that is at least snell 2005 or better. some tracks are moving to the snell 2010. Long pants and close toe shoes are also required.
7- If you have an aftermarket turbo, you will also need a fire jacket.
8- Bring your own window chaulk for updating your dial as the day progresses.
9- Bring cash. Most tracks do not accept the plastics cards.
10- If you plan on airing down your tires for better traction, have a plan for getting them filled back up.
11- Bring a chair for the pit area. Shade to if you don't like the hot sun. Bring plenty of water, or other favorite beverages.

Those are a few of the pre race things I go through as I get ready to go to the track.

Next time: I am at the track, what now?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Great thread Verlon:thumb:

I'll add one to yours that goes along with the oil and coolant leaks. My track requires the coolant surge tank hose be plugged or captured in a sealed bottle. They let me stick an ear plug in it last time I was there:D Not sure if other tracks require this?

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
Nice topic! :thumb:

I usually bring a bag of Basic tools, (Crescent wrench, Socket set, Wrenches, screwdrivers) For things like Traction Bars, boots, and other little things.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
And most don't let you dump exhaust onto the track

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Batteries tied down. Remove passenger headlight. Fold mirrors in. Keep fluid levels low. Clamp rear leafs. 25psi rear tires 35 psi front. Get your self a good strong turn up. Keep your AC off. I know I'm forgetting alot but it's a good start.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Don't drive through water box
Be respectful of where your exhaust is aimed
Stay in your lane tell you and vehicle in other lane is slowed down
Turn off ac
Loose as much weight as possible. Its cheaper then HP
Race your own race

The reason I don't see as many people around here is smart phones and social media. People notice the bad passes but not the good.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
And most don't let you dump exhaust onto the track

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yep, many require cross bolts in your exhaust and if its a stack they're required. Many want you to have a turndown tip aimed up so they don't have to clean the soot off the track or have you smoke the lights.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Can someone explain the staging/lights? I thought I read about it awhile ago but still wasn't satisfied with the complete procedure. Isn't there a light that indicates one lane to roll forward and then the other lane and then start spooling? How much time is there to start spooling the turbo?

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
Theres a standard Tree and a Pro tree, Both have 2 staging lights meant to get the drivers ready, First set lights once you hit the line, then you start spooling and once both drivers trigger the second light the race is on. A standard tree will give Three amber warning lights (half second apart) then Green to GO, A pro tree will drop the Green .400 after both Staging lights have been triggered. Hopefully that isn't too confusing haha

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
If both lanes don't trigger the second staging light then the tree wont start. So if you wait for the other guy to hit both you can boost up and taking however long you want.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
What does it take to trigger the second staging light? The first light you drive ahead quite a few feet don't you? You basically just bump forward and that's it?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What does it take to trigger the second staging light? The first light you drive ahead quite a few feet don't you? You basically just bump forward and that's it?

watch the front of cars/trucks as they approach the tree. there is a box in the middle of the two lanes before the tree that projects a laser beam. when the front tires break the first one, the first pre stage bulb is lit. then you bump forward just a bit to break the beam of the second laser and it will light the second pre stage bulb. creeping up on the first beam takes a little practice to get a feel of where it lights as you roll up in the lane. this is where a couple runs at test and tune help. you can take a little more time without pissing off the other racer or the guy running the tree as its not a real race, its just for fun and testing.

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
I really appreciate all of the additional feedback. What I am trying to do with this thread is give someone a step by step of the entire day at the track. First post is all about what is needed to have the truck ready to go to the track. Next week I am working on a post that details what to do once you have arrived. Then I plan on the whole procedure of racing. getting to the lanes, staging, what to do if you break and so on.

Once it is all done I can gather my info and what everyone else has added, make it into a single post and create a sticky in the drag racing section if the mods approve.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
There are two beams that are three inches apart. The top amber lights when the first beam has been broken(by your front tire). Start your spool push threw the breaks to break the second beam( lighting the second amber). Then back off to hold position.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
OK. That's easy enough to understand.

What do guys do for exhaust if they require a turn down pipe facing up? Just swap anytime they go racing?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I really appreciate all of the additional feedback. What I am trying to do with this thread is give someone a step by step of the entire day at the track. First post is all about what is needed to have the truck ready to go to the track. Next week I am working on a post that details what to do once you have arrived. Then I plan on the whole procedure of racing. getting to the lanes, staging, what to do if you break and so on.

Once it is all done I can gather my info and what everyone else has added, make it into a single post and create a sticky in the drag racing section if the mods approve.

Good stuff. I was lucky enough to tag along with Righteyeblind. Reece showed me the way of the drag strip:thumb:

This will be a great thread for folks that don't have a good buddy to show them the ropes.