F!#$%*k Weld Racing

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Did i mention how much I hate Weld rims:mad: At national trials last week I noticed a slight tire leak but only by a few psi. Yesterday I went out to my truck to investigate this leak. To my suprise it was on the rim:eek: So i jacked the truck up. Got about 50psi in the tire. Got some soap and water in a bucket, and went to work. Could not find the leak in the tire. So I thought hmmm maybe the valve stem? WRONG. The "barrel" of the rim was leaking:confused: So i got on the phone with "Weld/ what is now American Racing." They said Weld went bankrupt and now I am stuck with a rim that got discontinued in 2006. They said the only sidewinder rim they make now is for a dually. They also said they dont warranty anything that Weld ever made. So I called around with no luck of finding one replacement. After getting my Mickey Thompson classic II's switched back over on my truck I got to inspecting the other rims. Another one had what appeared to be a dime size tear in the middle of the inside of the rim:eek: Needless to say i got 1400$ worth of expensive beer cans now:eek: These rims had about 10,000 miles on them and one sled pull, and about 50 passes or alittle more at the track

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I thought when someone bought out a company that was failing they had to take care of the companies products for so many years after even if discontinued?

Either way that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
That sucks Eric, We had some issues with some wheels too.

Damn, You pay for the best and get shite.

Can you Tig up the leak from the iside of the wheel?

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Bluemax I thought the same thing...Well I thought wrong! Steve, that was my first intentions becuase the first rim was cracked right on the weld. But after seeing the second rim actually ripping the aluminum in to about 1.5 inches from the weld I then decided that it would most likely happen again even if they were welded....So I am now planning on making 4 badazz bar stools:D I am very upset with the quality of there products. And really upset that $520 rims have held up to way more abuse than my $1,400 rims

Last edited:

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
The rims can be repaired - there are shops out there doing lots of Weld Wheels repair. Many with similar stories to you - AR had a clause in their sale contract that there would be no product support/warranty on products produced by the previous owners of Company.

BTW, the Weld guys are now BMF Wheels.

Watch eBay, message boards, craigslist etc - Im sure you can find another wheel that matches.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Maybe their crappy wheels is why they went tits up!

Jeff P

hail the V8 diesel
May 28, 2008
Queensland Australia
I hope this is not a common problem with weld racing rims i just waited 2months to get a set of cheyenne 8 17x8.5 32 offsetrims made and sent to australia so they dont hang outside the guards I thought they were top shelf!

ROGUE GTS

Apr 30, 2008
I've had nothing but immense happiness with my welds. Look like super high quality, very strong, ready to rock.

Dune 8 FTW.

TYREBOYZ_DEMAXIN

The Tire Frier
Jun 13, 2007
Barnesville OH
if you want wheels that hold up to the abuse you are putting these guys thru go with forged wheels..i handle weld wheels so i know what your going thru..ION or Eagle Forged wheels are some of the best i have sold.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
This is not the first set of Weld rims that my family has owned. I am affraid it will be the last for me! I fear that even if i do fix them it will just happen again do to the second rim I found with the actual aluminum ripping. Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought Weld rims were forged???? Isnt that what there known for, Forged one piece rims?

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
Ecc, the Welds on my truck are forged. That really sucks about your wheels. Also, it really really sucks that they are not covering warranties anymore. My wheels still had 3 years on the chrome warranty.:(

If you want to fix them, which I would at least have someone look at them. Wheel Medic just north of Crew Stadium on I-71 has a really good reputation for being able to fix really damaged wheels. Maybe they can help

Check them out.
http://www.theroundhouse.ws/

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
if you want wheels that hold up to the abuse you are putting these guys thru go with forged wheels..i handle weld wheels so i know what your going thru..ION or Eagle Forged wheels are some of the best i have sold.

I run A/R forged wheels they dont crack or bend but the do flake:(

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Ecc, the Welds on my truck are forged. That really sucks about your wheels. Also, it really really sucks that they are not covering warranties anymore. My wheels still had 3 years on the chrome warranty.:(

If you want to fix them, which I would at least have someone look at them. Wheel Medic just north of Crew Stadium on I-71 has a really good reputation for being able to fix really damaged wheels. Maybe they can help

Check them out.
http://www.theroundhouse.ws/

Craig I was told because i go off dry pavement that my crome warrenty was void:rolleyes: