Wastegated VGT

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Would there be ANY reason atall, Besides on an lb7 to use one with a vgt charger? I have been curious for awhile if there would be any performance gains. I knew of one lb7 that had one, but I'm not sure if it was because they didn't have a standalone vane controller or if there was top secret stuff going on.

EDIT: can someone change the title to Wastegated VGT, not Wasted VGT.. Got alittle excited :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I think you are confused the LB7 doesn't have a VGT turbo. VGT don't use wastegates because the boost is controlled with the ECM. So there would be no advantage to adding a wastegate to a VGT turbo even if it is possible. I may be wrong about this but that is my guess at your question!

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I think you are confused the LB7 doesn't have a VGT turbo. VGT don't use wastegates because the boost is controlled with the ECM. So there would be no advantage to adding a wastegate to a VGT turbo even if it is possible. I may be wrong about this but that is my guess at your question!

Yes, you wrong here, sorry. Wastegating a VGT gives you the ability to relieve drive pressure while having a more agressive vane position. Works great with twins and nitrious to help keep everything in check. I ran one on my twin setup for the last two years.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Could you explain the advantages of having a wastegate on a VGT turbo? Is it because your running twins? I know nothing about VGT's i just always thought they were controlled by the ecm and that is why they didnt have wastegates

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Yes, you wrong here, sorry. Wastegating a VGT gives you the ability to relieve drive pressure while having a more agressive vane position. Works great with twins and nitrious to help keep everything in check. I ran one on my twin setup for the last two years.

THANKS for the input Mark! I really don't know much about them and figured i was wrong but took a satab at it anyways lol. Is there a advantage to wastegating a stock single turbo truck?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky

I know it was a VGT equipped lb7... Not stock. I know how the vanes work and what they do. But even with them open to 0-10 whatever, you can still open the exhaust more. Could spin it faster without killing it "as fast" I would think. Changing the ar moves the map. So I'm hoping there are gains to be had. We got intercoolers, hopefully that'll catch the shrapnel lol

Emiller, is that a single vgt your talking about? I just about qouted you saying twins don't count till I say the 72 comment.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Fleece makes a stand alone controller so you can install a vgt on any truck that doesnt have the ability to do so in stock form. It was an aftermarket install.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Vvt turbos create lots of drive pressure. A wastegate can be added to an uppipe then dumped in to the exhaust. In my opinion it's not worth the hassle when you could just upgrade the turbo to a badass 4088/4202r and be done..... And yes I am facinated with the Garrett turbos

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Vvt turbos create lots of drive pressure. A wastegate can be added to an uppipe then dumped in to the exhaust. In my opinion it's not worth the hassle when you could just upgrade the turbo to a badass 4088/4202r and be done..... And yes I am facinated with the Garrett turbos

That's not a stock turbo though. I've got pulling rules to abid by.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk