New Converters what transpired?

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
So Suncoast came out with some new converters several weeks ago.

1058, 1059 and another?

Anyway what are the reports? How did Casper like the converter for the big charger guys?

Heard nothing but good stuff about the 1058. I want to know about the converter designed for the bigger chargers, any word yet?

Any comparisons between the 57 and the new big charger converter?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
1055 is what Pat is running and I must say I like the launch that I see on the vidio as does Ron from SC. Pat likes it but I will let Pat give his report. 1059 has been changed and BIG DIPPER will be testing it on his truck since this is his brainchild. When we were at SC me Ron and George stayed up late discussing changes to the 1059 and George hit on an idea and Ron and I liked it so Ron built it. If he is satisfied with it he will make a report and give Ron the ok to build it. I will get one shortly after to try in my truck.
The 1058 will stay the same and we want to test it on a big charger truck to see if it's loose enough.
1057 remains the same as it needs no changes as does the trusty 1056.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
So far i'm liking th Precision that was installed a few days ago, my only comparison is to the SC 1050 though, and I have to admit that I havent been hammering on this new one very much yet.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Thanks for the link Kat, Mike thanks for the info and i haven't forgotten about bringing the trans up... I am simply in season at work... urgggh. That's why i wanted to get done in January.

Pat, may we have your input, please.

When did the 55 couple for you? How did it couple and at about what RPM/foot did it feel like? 2nd gear start on spray? Could you get to 2500? A ton a variables between the trucks but it doesn't hurt to ask for SOP.

I would prefer not to R and R the slushbox later if the 55 is closer to what I'll need, thanks for a response.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The 1055 will work with any size charger that can work with the Dmax.

We did not spray, we launched at 2800 in first, and second time 2800 in second. Sixty for pass one was 1.63?, for #2 it was 1.56?

330' was very good at 4.50 seconds.

The converter is very good on the street for a big charger. The charger on Casper is flow equilavent to 13% more than a GT4202R, yet the truck is fully streetable with snappy throttle response.

I am recommending this converter to race/sled oriented owners who are running a GT4094 and up.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
As fast as I can, I will get some concrete data. But I like the 1055 more than anything else with a big charger. Nothing like spooling a huge single on Fuel Only in front hundreds of diesel guys.

There is something intrinsically bad-ass when that fatty wakes up and starts to howl. Primordial. Testosterone enhancing. :D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
From the converters I tested here's my opinion:

Looser (bigger charger)

MikeL Precision 1
TTS
MikeL Precision 2

Tightest

Last edited:

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Forestdale. Brisbane.Australia
I have a 1059 arriving with new trans from Suncoast next week - I will give some feedback how it goes. The ATS Converter was giving trouble just before the Input shaft broke. I wonder if that converter contributed to breaking the Shaft. I think Mike was also running an ATS Converter when he broke his input Shaft?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I have a 1059 arriving with new trans from Suncoast next week - I will give some feedback how it goes. The ATS Converter was giving trouble just before the Input shaft broke. I wonder if that converter contributed to breaking the Shaft. I think Mike was also running an ATS Converter when he broke his input Shaft?

5 clutches in the converter might be too agressive if the converter is on the loose side and you feed it a lot of power than Wham! the converter locks. Big hit on the input shaft.

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Forestdale. Brisbane.Australia
I gather it was the converter as I was showing no Trans Codes at all. The most noticeable thing was when I would come to an almost complete stop there would be a thump (as though it were changing down a gear) and on a couple of occasions the back wheels locked for a split second. (Tyres chirped)
Ideas Mike?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
How much of an RPM drop are you 1058 guys seeing? I'm getting a minimum 300 to 350 RPM drop when it locks, and it doesn't lock smoothly at all. I'm not what you would call 100% satisfied.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
when mine locks it is very elastic a bit more then my 57 but smoother when on it. it really seems to like more power then less. its verry comaparable to my 57 and diffrent at the same time.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What do you mean by "elastic"? I have noticed it tends to shake the truck more when you're easy on the throttle than when you're getting on it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mine hits pretty good mainly because I have no knockdown. I run 325 psi in my Alli and when the converter locks it does not drop any psi like it is suppose to. The design of the billet stator has some bearing on this also.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
What do you mean by "elastic"? I have noticed it tends to shake the truck more when you're easy on the throttle than when you're getting on it.

by elastic i meen as its locking it actually propells you forward as its locking .almost simular to boost coming on or a small surge of power .I dint have tht feeling with my 57. but i do like hows this converter feels and locks over all i do like my 58 better then my 57 thers no shake in mine just nice and solid