LML Internals

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
i called my local deal after reading this post and he said that yes the pistion was that cheap,and that nine times out of ten it is a mess up so get them wile you can!!!!

one thingg that stuck out in my head was the .75 .25 .10 thats in mm guys so i think the bore has change just my two cents because i havent seen a block or pistion to compare to.

Last edited:

jbgmc

Feb 8, 2011
In a house
I was told by a reliable source that the LML engine took a step backwards.

I have heard this too. I also heard they cheapened the engine to make up for the price of everything they had to add with the emissions. I hope this isn't true but we shall see.

Slick

Jan 9, 2007
I have a complete set of LML pistons and rods. Not much different then LBZ. I don't think the pistons will clear a LLY/ LB7 crank. Nor do I think they are a good cheap built motor alternative. A powered medal rods is a powdered medal rod folks.

If someone really wants them I will sell them,

How much do you want for them?

jbgmc

Feb 8, 2011
In a house
GM is showing no inventory available for the pistons now :D

This is probably because of the two sets I ordered yesterday. One set went through and the other backordered. Be interesting to see which gets here first now. I put whats called a SPAC case on the one set. Good thing I could come up with a VIN# for that.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
i called my local deal after reading this post and he said that yes the pistion was that cheap,and that nine times out of ten it is a mess up so get them wile you can!!!!

one thingg that stuck out in my head was the .75 .25 .10 thats in mm guys so i think the bore has change just my two cents because i havent seen a block or pistion to compare to.

no its the same. compression ratio is down to 16.0:1 though.

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
This is probably because of the two sets I ordered yesterday. One set went through and the other backordered. Be interesting to see which gets here first now. I put whats called a SPAC case on the one set. Good thing I could come up with a VIN# for that.

good luck with the spac case, there are no dealers in the usa to pull them from. If your other order went through you might possibly get them if running out of stock is the real reason for no inventory. my guess is someone found the mistake.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
The LML rods are considerably narrower at the wrist pin bushing. .708 (top of bushing) and 1.260 (bottom of bushing) for the LML vs .955 and 1.475 for all previous. This reduces the load capability of the wrist pin bushing. Although provides more structure to the piston. We had some of these in the shop in early 2010.

Perhaps GM learned from their mistake with the LBZ/LMM piston with integral wrist pin bushing (read 100 grams heavier than LB7/LLY). This design required a smaller dia. counter weight on the crank and more weight in the flywheel and damper to get it to balance properly. Not only were the pistons a disaster but the extra weight caused more bearing and crank failures.

Now they seem to have gone in the opposite direction in an attempt to lighten everything up.

It would be cool if they would hold up to some power, but I'm not going to hold my breath. :rolleyes:

jbgmc

Feb 8, 2011
In a house
good luck with the spac case, there are no dealers in the usa to pull them from. If your other order went through you might possibly get them if running out of stock is the real reason for no inventory. my guess is someone found the mistake.

I know, but it whould be interesting to see what happens. Plus seeing if that are a good buy or 32.0o pieces of poop. Its suprising how much less alot of the parts between the engines are, 330.00 for and LMM fly wheel 92.00 for LML. 810.00 a whack for injectors on the LML, 450.00 for LML. I'm wondering if they will skyrocket in prices after the warranty is up on a lot of these trucks.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
These prices make me wonder if there is a data entry issue.

Almost seems like they are selling at their cost?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
So the LML is weaker and not really gonna hold anything, who cares. We already know how to make big power, and we can already do it today with cheaper trucks (lb7-lbz) and cheaper parts (lb7/lly pistons/crankshafts).

I think its going to be a while before anyone pushes their 60k pickup truck above 500hp anyways.

"go-fast-ability" peaked with the LBZ IMO. As long as the pistons dont crack, they are the most capable, out-of-the-box-stock.

ben

jbgmc

Feb 8, 2011
In a house
They're here!!! The LML pistons have arrived for my customer. They look like a diesel piston and not a Briggs gasser (also posted on Duramax Forums) Still 31.19 each list. So now lets turn up the juice adn see what shakes loose. :woott:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Pull a KillerBee and buy up the countries supply and corner the market! Order 50,000 units locally. :woott: :roflmao: :woott: