Oh Mike, what have I done this time?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Jason you can do this yourself. Pulling the trans out of the truck is probably more of a PITA than actually rebuilding it. ATSG manual is your friend. :)

Mine has over 65,000 miles on it since I built it and other than a random stuck solenoid issue its been perfect...

ben

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Thanks Ben. I have pulled the tranny myself once already. It should be easier the 2nd time! Its the internals that intimidate me. I figured if I bought Mikes book and the ATSG manual I might be able to do it, just looking for some support!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Thanks Ben. I have pulled the tranny myself once already. It should be easier the 2nd time! Its the internals that intimidate me. I figured if I bought Mikes book and the ATSG manual I might be able to do it, just looking for some support!

I'll give you all the support you need. :D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
let me know if you need pictures of things inside. The main thing is to just pay attention to how the parts came out and label everything. When doing engines or transmissions I like to clear off a big bench, and buy a cheap white bedsheet. I cover the entire bench with the bedsheet. This serves two purposes...keeps the parts clean as you pull them out, and allows you to set them down and then just write directly on the sheet with a sharpie to label parts and stuff...

mike is an ok help too I guess.... :D

ben

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Thanks guys, I guess I'll get busy tearing the SOB apart then. I dont work as fast as most people, especially because I'm doing most of it myself so hang with me!

Can you put SC parts in an ATS tranny? IIRC its all the same besides the purple color until you get to the Torq Conv. right?

Also, I have the old, first version of the Co-pilot in right now. Would it be worth upgrading to the newer version of the co-pilot while I'm in there?

How about a transgo? I think that the fact that I DO NOT have a transgo in it is what is causing part of my problems (delaminating clutches) all of the time.

The C3 oiler is going in for sure.....what else do I "NEED" Mike?

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Would that eliminate the need for a transgo or does it do something entirely different?

What did they do different from the origional Co-pilot to the newer version?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Damn.

Whats your thoughts on the transgo and the newer copilot Mike?

Pat can answer the copilot question better than I since we changed his over a while ago. I firmly believe in the transgo with special mods to go with the ATS setup. ( So does ATS as I have seen a few ATS extreme transmissions with the Transgo in them like Nasty Girl's ) You did not hear this from me. :baby::angel:

duramaxin14

Just Keeping Up
May 25, 2007
Wauchula fl
Jason im 17 years old i tore the ally down and put it together buy my self. The only trouble i had was the e shift vavle. Other then that everything went smooth. My brother helped me hold it up when we stuck it back in because i didnt have a jack. Other then that if i done it u can do it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Jason im 17 years old i tore the ally down and put it together buy my self. The only trouble i had was the e shift vavle. Other then that everything went smooth. My brother helped me hold it up when we stuck it back in because i didnt have a jack. Other then that if i done it u can do it.

so you're saying your brother helped you "hold up" a 400 pound transmission while you screwed the bolts up tight? Wish I was that strong. :rolleyes:

Ill try that next time I build an ally; not using a jack. :eek:

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
so you're saying your brother helped you "hold up" a 400 pound transmission while you screwed the bolts up tight? Wish I was that strong. :rolleyes:

Man, I was going to say the same thing. Do you mean you didnt have a tranny jack?
The last time I took mine out I had to do it with the truck on jack-stands (no lift) and I had a 2-ton floor jack with a big metal plate to hold the tranny. I couldnt imagine trying to hold it up without a jack! Yikes!

Thanks for the encouragement though Kurt.

duramaxin14

Just Keeping Up
May 25, 2007
Wauchula fl
Well did u guys unbolt the t-case. Remember i dont have one. And yes with 2 people handling the ally its not hard at all to put in the truck. U just gotta make sure u have a Sack on u and u cant have your skirt on.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

its not about strength..... its about determination;)

and how experienced you are at the game of twister also helps:eek:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Well did u guys unbolt the t-case. Remember i dont have one.

Uh you cant pull the ally with the transfer case attached. Maybe you can with the torsion bar x-member I dunno, but why? OK so I unbolt my transfer case, and now my trans is the same friggin weight yours is.......... ;)

And yes with 2 people handling the ally its not hard at all to put in the truck.

Did you even pull your allison?; because anyone whos actually done R&R theirselves knows that this is not only close to impossible, but its also flat out stupid and dangerous. Ive DROPPED one, and it shook a concrete floor when it hit. Dont tell me these transmissions arent heavy. :rolleyes:

U just gotta make sure u have a Sack on u and u cant have your skirt on.

You are telling this to someone who is 5 years older than you...

ben

Last edited: