Nitrous basics

SBCNX20

Aug 7, 2006
Central MA
Yeah, a .040" jet is 1/3rd the size of a .070" jet. So it's about 25hp. Not noticeable.

You should not spray a "real" shot lower than 2500rpm, since that is our lowest racing RPM range. Make sure you have something in place like a pedal switch, EFILive, brake light switch, etc, to prevent it from spraying while staging. You will jump through your brakes, and can break trans parts if that happens.

The simplest method is to hook a baby solenoid directly to your horn. When you hit the horn, it sprays. No real wiring.

25hp? Dont know Pat I picked up 4 1/2 tenths and 5 mph with just a .045 jet.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Wade, how can LESS nos cause a melted piston? Less pressure is less nos??? NOS makes its own pressure with temp. If you start out at 950 and use 2 lbs. per pass the bottle cools from use. Now if you start out at higher 1050 use the same 2 lbs. you are telling me it will drop less pressure? Whatever. Jeff

IF i am getting it... The tune is set for X fuel, as the pressure drops the nitrous decreases, nitrous decreases fuel stays constant (truck/ECM doesn't know you are spraying), we now have excess fuel, excess fuel is EGT's, EGTs help melt pistons. In a gasser we get rich, comparitively speaking not as big an issue.

If you start at 950 and lose 100 PSI, whats the impact down track? More fuel less nitrous.

Wade and Jeff obviuosly know what they are speaking about, hope they can agree to disagree on the level of the system (bottle pressure).

I am glad they are contributing.:)

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Wade, how can LESS nos cause a melted piston? Less pressure is less nos??? NOS makes its own pressure with temp. If you start out at 950 and use 2 lbs. per pass the bottle cools from use. Now if you start out at higher 1050 use the same 2 lbs. you are telling me it will drop less pressure? Whatever. Jeff

You talk like you have Amnesia, you claim to know everything about nitrous yet your lodgic does not add up to reality, at least you act like it by nownplaying my helpful post's, your negitive post's are not helping anyone here. If you dissagree then fine, im fine with that, but im man enough NOT disrespect you by calling you an ass.

To answer your question(s)......

Yes less nitrous can cause a melted piston( considering you have a lower timing nitrous tune) because less nitrous would increases heat, thats why you have to TUNE for nitrous, not just slap it on and go with the expectaion that everything will be fine!

On a average nitrous system two pounds used during a run would equate to a 200PSI drop in pressure in a 10LBS bottle....

900-200=700

1050-200=850

@ 760 PSI nitrous turns from a gas to a liquid....

You beeing at 700 psi is doing nothing but harm to your engine with a nitrous tune at the end of the track with no liquid nitrous to burn the excess fuel...
also as seen in testing and on a dyno the higher your initial psi the less it will drop in a givin time frame, like starting @ 1050( like i do) it would drop appox 150psi or so, while starting at 900psi will get you in the lower 700's or even in the high 6oo's as we have seen in early testing

With the pressure system i have allready talked about i start at 1050 and end my runs at about 1000-1050PSI, so there is a big difference in reliability,saftey, and power!

Does this help? If not then revert to my first post in this thread!

Last edited:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
I want to understand, why is low rpm or low boost spray harmful? What is it doing, beside overdosing oxidizer? Please explain what causes harm with early dosing. I thought this was a good way to spool.

you can spray small amounts at low rpm's no problem, but what i was meaning to say was that you dont want to start right out with your 0.100 jet at low rpm, it's safest to wait untill about 2000rpm or more, because most of us are boosted up and ready to go @ 2k anyway right?

Spraying that much too soon will do 2 things, 1 it might put the fire out( because you dont have enough fuel to burn and create heat.....)

2 if it does light off then too much TQ ( spraying too earliy)with the resistance of enertia will break stuff, also the most cylinder psi/ compression is at lower rpm's so you stand a much better chance of hurting something at these times.

Waiting for RPM gives you a much better chance of CR drop an CP drop or OL from the camshaft which would help beed the PSI off a bit......

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Wade

Do you have a clue who Stingpuller is? Do you have a clue how long He has been using Nitrous? Do you have a clue that he was running a street car in the 9s on spray 15 years ago?:eek:

No you dont have a clue!

Please refrain from name calling or I will give you time to talk to your niirous bottle all by your lonesome.:baby:

Understood?

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
A little clarification on the first post in this thread.

Gases have pretty much the same molecular density. In other words, if you have a cup of air and a cup of nitrous, both contain the same number of molecules. An oxygen molecule is O2, or two oxygen atoms hooked together. A nitrous molecule has 3 atoms, two nitrogen, and one oxygen. So in a given volume, pure oxygen has twice the oxygen atoms as nitrous. But oxygen is only roughly 20% of air, and nitrous is nearly pure (a small % of a nauseating gas is added to it, to stop folk from huffing it).

500 nitrous molecules will have 500 oxygen atoms. 500 air molecules will have 200 oxygen atoms in it. Both are the same volume, and our engines are displacement based, not weight based.

So a "cup" of nitrous will have the same oxygenating effect as 2.5 cups of air.
The way it is..
By volume nitrous contains 33% oxygen and 66% nitrogen, and by weight 36% oxygen (air is only 23.6% oxygen).

I guess that a good analogy pat...

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
I meant the exothermic release. When the dissociation occurs, I wonder how much temp increase occurs.

I just don't want to go through the calculation, not much into moles of this and that. But I will if I have to. :)

i wondered the same thing resulting from chemicle change?

This is why i inject PRE IC, hopefully my theory is correct.....

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Wade

Do you have a clue who Stingpuller is? Do you have a clue how long He has been using Nitrous? Do you have a clue that he was running a street car in the 9s on spray 15 years ago?:eek:

No you dont have a clue!

Please refrain from name calling or I will give you time to talk to your niirous bottle all by your lonesome.:baby:

Understood?

Listen johnboy, I Dont care who stingpuller is, nore do i care how many years he has been changing diapers, it's irelivant to the fact that HE attacked me with name calling and disrespect First!

Dont you think you should be a FAIR moderator and address your issue with him first as it's obvious im not looking for trouble but trying to end it!

Need help finding the post? #19

here it is--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wade, You try to impress us with your talk and thats just fine if it makes you fill better. But you try and make it sound like the normal guy needs all this fancy stuff and they don't! Most of the guys here are not trying to run in the 9's with there stuff. I'm a nobody and damn proud of it! You my son are trying to be a somebody in the worst way. You keep talking this fancy stuff so us little people can learn what we need to do. Just for the record I meet you a TS in 07 when you raced Dockboy. You acted like a ass then, still the same I see. Jeff"

That was aggrevation on his part, what was the need in that?

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
is it relevant to namecalling?
"Does he have a clue" is a less than suttle hint that Sting is a very accomplished racer and valued member of this forum. He is also respected outside of this forum for his racing accomplishment. Name calling will not be tolerated by me.

Listen johnboy, I Dont care who stingpuller is, nore do i care how many years he has been changing diapers, it's irelivant to the fact that HE attacked me with name calling and disrespect First!

Dont you think you should be a FAIR moderator and address your issue with him first as it's obvious im not looking for trouble but trying to end it!

Need help finding the post? #19

here it is--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wade, You try to impress us with your talk and thats just fine if it makes you fill better. But you try and make it sound like the normal guy needs all this fancy stuff and they don't! Most of the guys here are not trying to run in the 9's with there stuff. I'm a nobody and damn proud of it! You my son are trying to be a somebody in the worst way. You keep talking this fancy stuff so us little people can learn what we need to do. Just for the record I meet you a TS in 07 when you raced Dockboy. You acted like a ass then, still the same I see. Jeff"

That was aggrevation on his part, what was the need in that?

He was replying to your sarcasm Wade.;)
As for being a Fair mod. I am human, I am not fair. Get over it. The fact that you are still on this forum after your actions on other boards and misdealing with members of this board is a sign of our leniency.

You started this thread as tech but quickly showed your agenda to pimp your sponsors. Billy Mays would be proud. I however am not amused. The members of this board do not need your propaganda.

Last edited:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Well, it's been 30 years since physics or chem, but what I gather is nitrous requires a kick of 250Kj/mole (~1.5 calories per gram) in order to release 82Kj/mole (~0.5 calories per gram) of energy. In other words, nitrous reacts only after you feed it a lot of heat, then only releases a little heat.

Once nitrous gets it's kick, it's volume increases 50%. So nitrous will increase cylinder pressure when it disassociates, then increase it more when it's extra oxygen content permits more fuel to be burned, more quickly.

But since it cooled down the charge before entering the cylinder, any math will need test data to figure out the actual pressure increase it causes. Or heck, USE A CYL PRESSURE TESTER! :D

Thats with the understanding that diassociation happens in the combustion chamber.......injecting the nitrous as close to the engine as possible would almost promise it.

If it happens before that then you have no increase in CP untill after TDC.

It only takes 500+* for it to happen, and many turbo outlet temps are that high, again another reason i inject pre IC....... So far my therory has worked well.....

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
"Does he have a clue" is a less than suttle hint that Sting is a very accomplished racer and valued member of this forum. He is also respected outside of this forum for his racing accomplishment. Name calling will not be tolerated by me.

He was replying to your sarcasm Wade.;)
As for being a Fair mod. I am human, I am not fair. Get over it. The fact that you are still on this forum after your actions on other boards and misdealing with members of this board is a sign of our leniency.

You started this thread as tech but quickly showed your agenda to pimp your sponsors. Billy Mays would be proud. I however am not amused. The members of this board do not need your propaganda.

Why do you have an oppinion of someone you dont know?

if you so stern about name calling then why do you continually let folks jump on my case....undeserving?

Sarcasm? that BS you and i both know what he meant!

Sponsors? who are my sponsors, i Never said anyone of those were my sponsors

agenda? not to sell anything,pimp anything but to inform those about the Truths behind nitrous on a diesel......

So exactly who is misleading who here?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Nope, it hasn't. If you allow it to disassociate before entering the engine, you will "thin" out your nitrous shot 1/3rd. In other words, the nitrous will expand 50% in the inlet. Now it's 33% oxy by volume, and only slightly better than just air.

It takes 500+ degs and a lot of absorbed heat. It comes out of the nozzle at -90°C, so it has a lot of catching up to do.
Expand what?
We dont need more boost psi, we need oxygen, i dont follow your lodgic pat.

Nitrous does not help "fill" the cylinder persay, but it does provide cold, dense, oxygen

Oxygen of a higher percentile(cold,dense) is the only thing that matters.

Last edited:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
This tread

Ok Wade I probably should not have said that about you. Your actions speak for me. I will just sit back and watch. Jeff