GM should have stuck with Allison

buick455

Sep 26, 2010
Allison is coming out with their new 9 speed medium duty transmission. It's been known about for quite a few years now but it's finally coming to market. I can tell you that it is 100% just like the current 1000/2000 series 6spd, of course with some added parts and a bit longer case. It appears to me that it literally is based 100% off of the same platform. I have access to theirs parts side and the parts break downs look just like the current transmission. It now has 6 clutch packs and 4 planetaries. 6th is 1.00 and 7,8,9 are all overdrives. It's rated for 33,000LB with park pawl and a staggering 57,000LB without park pawl! I just wish GM wasn't so greedy because this would have made many costumers WAY happier in my opinion.

Synviks

May 24, 2023
OR
Wonder if it uses the same bellhousing and extension housings as the 1k/2k? If it did could make for a great swap platform once used ones start popping up in wrecking yards.

buick455

Sep 26, 2010
The only bellhousing options I'm seeing are SAE but that's on the Allison side. The extension housing does show an option for a transfercase and it is beefy. I'll attach a picture.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
There’s always something “better”. And I wouldn’t be so quick to say that it was because GM was “greedy”. They needed a new tranny and obviously this one wasn’t ready, here it is 4 years later from the time that GM stuck the 10-speed in their trucks and this thing still isn’t ready. Personally, I feel that if the current tranny is working so well, why would we “need“ this tranny? Yeah it’s great to say you have an Allison built tranny, but I’m not interested in paying more money for a name when what I have works great. Just my personal opinion.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If I had one, I think I'd go with the wide ratio. With the torque of the diesel the extra range won't hurt it as much, and you can take advantage of the wider range more efficiently then gas.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I never knew there was an option of close and wide ratio's on the Allison.

I agree, I think I would go wide too given a choice.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
There’s always something “better”. And I wouldn’t be so quick to say that it was because GM was “greedy”. They needed a new tranny and obviously this one wasn’t ready, here it is 4 years later from the time that GM stuck the 10-speed in their trucks and this thing still isn’t ready. Personally, I feel that if the current tranny is working so well, why would we “need“ this tranny? Yeah it’s great to say you have an Allison built tranny, but I’m not interested in paying more money for a name when what I have works great. Just my personal opinion.
I don't think it's so much to brag on and pay more but it definitely helped sales. Lots of people only gave GM a shot because of the allison transmission. Especially when you hit it consider the 7.3 and the 5.9. Were so much better than anything g m had previously had. I'm not so sure the 10 speed is all that great anyways.

Of course being stuck with a six speed might have hurt their sales to. They had lower towing numbers and horsepower rating of the big 3, so the 10 speed might have saved them a little too....

Reactions: 2004LB7

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I’ve actually never even ridden in an L5P long enough to even know if the trans they currently run is decent or not, but I do know gm needs to do something with that shitty 6 speed they put behind the 6.6 gas. Worst driving truck I’ve ever owned.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

I’d actually see those gear ratios as a hinderance. 1-4th is too low, then a big jump or equivalent gear spacing to the 6 speed with a pretty high overdrive in 9th. That trans is gear far more towards medium/heavy duty trucks with large numerical rear end gears.

The 10 speed in the current trucks imho is a far better gear split. It’s basically a 6 speed with a gear in between every gear of the 6th speed. This is absolutely awesome when you are pulling a hill loaded down, the truck is constantly in peak torque/hp area and pulls the hills better. That 9 speed is too low if you ran 4.10 gears and 8-9th are too high for 3.73 or 3.42 and heavy loads.

I don’t see that trans ever have been designed for the light duty trucks

Reactions: LBZ and 2004LB7