March '23 Chat -- "Drive to the sound of your own turbo"

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Any of you work on mid-2010s Subaru Outbacks? Just curious what problems pop up with them as they approach 100,000 miles. Daughter looking to sell her Cruze and would like to buy a smaller used SUV.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Any of you work on mid-2010s Subaru Outbacks? Just curious what problems pop up with them as they approach 100,000 miles. Daughter looking to sell her Cruze and would like to buy a smaller used SUV.
Subaru's have had the same problems since forever. At 100,000 miles they are approaching head gasket failure. pulling the engine is actually super easy, so it isn't a bad job. If you don't replace the head gaskets when they start to let go, the coolant will poison the cats, and they are expensive.

It's a good idea to do the timing set at the same time as the head gaskets. Replace the cam gears, as they are plastic and don't really outlast the belt. You can get aftermarket metal ones for a bit more money. If she's going to keep it another 100k miles it's probably worth the upgrade.

The early CVTs were junk, but I don't recall when Subaru switched. Avoid the CVT if possible. The 4 speed auto is OK, especially if power is kept stock.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH

Most subaru guys complain about head gaskets, but I'm not sure if it's only certain years or engine models

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Subaru's have had the same problems since forever. At 100,000 miles they are approaching head gasket failure. pulling the engine is actually super easy, so it isn't a bad job. If you don't replace the head gaskets when they start to let go, the coolant will poison the cats, and they are expensive.

It's a good idea to do the timing set at the same time as the head gaskets. Replace the cam gears, as they are plastic and don't really outlast the belt. You can get aftermarket metal ones for a bit more money. If she's going to keep it another 100k miles it's probably worth the upgrade.

The early CVTs were junk, but I don't recall when Subaru switched. Avoid the CVT if possible. The 4 speed auto is OK, especially if power is kept stock.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Most subaru guys complain about head gaskets, but I'm not sure if it's only certain years or engine models
Thanks guys. Doing more research, it seems that after 2012 they redesigned the gaskets and seals to get them to last longer. Im shooting for 2014 or newer cars.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Weird. 6:45am and Im the only one here.

Got to get outside and start clearing the driveway. 5" of snow yesterday.

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Wife's alarm goes off at 530am every....freaking.....day. You can come here and argue with her about it. I gave up. Lol