September '22 chat thread -- "The View thru the Smoke"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Didnt Trent use a 1/4" round off bit? I cant search for old threads here anymore otherwise I could find it.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Speaking of Trent I wonder where he ran off to.. the crazy shit he pulled off was comical. Hell his delipped pistons might be my favorite.
I'd like to find that thread. I only vaguely remember something about taking a die grinder to them. everyone was appalled or confused or something. I kept thinking that's probably what I would do on my tight budget

I’m still trying to figure out what bit he used. 🤣
I think an 1/8th inch or perhaps a 1/4 inch round over with the little bearing should do nicely

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I'd like to find that thread. I only vaguely remember something about taking a die grinder to them. everyone was appalled or confused or something. I kept thinking that's probably what I would do on my tight budget

I think an 1/8th inch or perhaps a 1/4 inch round over with the little bearing should do nicely

See I was thinking it was like a die- grinder. But a router would make more sense

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Not going to lie, I could go for another budget compound turbo kit right about now.
Sadly Duramaxs aren't super conducive to a budget, but this is most budget compound kit I have done. Not sure the kit I built for my Lb7 to save some money ended up being any cheaper than just buying one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220908-214324.png
    Screenshot_20220908-214324.png
    622.4 KB · Views: 25

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
See I was thinking it was like a die- grinder. But a router would make more sense
the only issue I see is the little lip or overhang on the edge of the bowl. no support for the router bit bearing so depth of cut would be hard to control. you'd have to manually control the router and it wouldn't be easy on aluminum. maybe a die grinder first to get the bulk of it removed until the bearing can touch the inside of the bowl and then clean it up with the router

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sadly Duramaxs aren't super conducive to a budget, but this is most budget compound kit I have done. Not sure the kit I built for my Lb7 to save some money ended up being any cheaper than just buying one.
you can't show a Cummins engine when discussing budget compound turbos. those things are all over the place. that's cheating 😂

Reactions: Dozerboy

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I think as long as we all follow the whole "no politics, religion, family" rule, i see no issue with talking about what ever we want lol.

Funny enough, trent friended me on FB a few years back. not sure hes still in the oil fields but he did go through a divorce, has a gf now and rolling on with life.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the only issue I see is the little lip or overhang on the edge of the bowl. no support for the router bit bearing so depth of cut would be hard to control. you'd have to manually control the router and it wouldn't be easy on aluminum. maybe a die grinder first to get the bulk of it removed until the bearing can touch the inside of the bowl and then clean it up with the router
i think what he did was find a router bearing that was 1/8" off the inner bowl with a 1/8" radius router blade, then it was good to go. i wouldnt think it would be all that hard to dial in lol.

Reactions: 2004LB7

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Funny enough, trent friended me on FB a few years back. not sure hes still in the oil fields but he did go through a divorce, has a gf now and rolling on with life.
Looks like he got married in 2020 and is living back in Utah.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So finally got the Vette sorted out. Both battery and ignition switch went bad. Might have been a coincidence, or a chicken/egg thing, but I wont ever know for sure.
Now Ive got to figure out my zero turn. After checking everything out, Im 99% certain the floatbowl needle got stuck, not allowing fuel into the carb. Waiting on a carb rebuild kit coming in tomorrow. Yay

Oh yeah....40yr class reunion is tomorrow. Its either going to be fun or a total shitshow. :ROFLMAO:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
So finally got the Vette sorted out. Both battery and ignition switch went bad. Might have been a coincidence, or a chicken/egg thing, but I wont ever know for sure.
Now Ive got to figure out my zero turn. After checking everything out, Im 99% certain the floatbowl needle got stuck, not allowing fuel into the carb. Waiting on a carb rebuild kit coming in tomorrow. Yay

Oh yeah....40yr class reunion is tomorrow. Its either going to be fun or a total shitshow. :ROFLMAO:

Man the list of broken/ stuff to fix just never ends.

I didn’t go to my 10 year reunion. Kinda wish I had so I could see how everyone is doing. I don’t keep up with any of them.

I’d hydrate today, start drinking early tomorrow 🍺

Reactions: countrycorey

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I never made it to my 10 year. No one sent anything out or i wasnt apart of the "cool list". i could care less. My highschool friends were a bunch of assholes. didnt know it at the time till i made some really good friends in college and then "i saw the light". i keep in touch regularly with just about all of them.

Reactions: countrycorey

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020

I had all kinds of carb issues regularly with about everything I owned carbuerated until I started running non-ethanol gas. All problems went away then

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I havent touched this carb (or literally ANY carb on any gas powered item) in 5 years or more. Its all about how you store them when not using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.