Buying a truck with P0741

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I am going to be purchasing a 07 classic lbz tomorrow at a very very good price with a transmission code P0741 and the converter wont lock, fresh fluid and filters and still same issue. The truck CLEAN, and is bone stock with 120,000 miles and no gooseneck hitch installed. Is there anything specifically I should be looking for? It drives down the road but trans gets too warm after 45 minutes or so. Im getting it cheap enough I could just build the whole trans if necessary but would prefer not to have to. Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Gunna be a shot converter or the stator shaft is pushed out. I’d buy it in a heartbeat if the price is as good as you are saying.

Sure that thing has never been tuned?

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Im giving $18,000 for it. He is firm on the price. I dont think its ever been tuned, only thing I can think of is maybe the guy that had it before him lost a trans cooler line and burned the converter up before he figured out what was goin on. It also has a new transfer case, probably pump rub got it early

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Im giving $18,000 for it. He is firm on the price. I dont think its ever been tuned, only thing I can think of is maybe the guy that had it before him lost a trans cooler line and burned the converter up before he figured out what was goin on. It also has a new transfer case, probably pump rub got it early
shouldnt have gotten pump rub? the 06-07 trucks came with an aluminum case so it wouldnt deform and break the clip inside. i mean, i guess its possible it still did but much rarer on those trucks. i would have expected more mileage on it.

you might want to look for a bad/broke mid plate or bell housing. i wonder if he had a u-joint go. that would explain the t-case and trans issues.

Reactions: SmokeShow

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Me and three buddies all had 06's and theyve all had to have pump rub kits installed. One of them totally lost his with a thru and thru hole around 180-200K so its seems to still be an issue on these trucks. Thanks for the heads up on the bell housing/ujoint idea. I will def check that out!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
shouldnt have gotten pump rub? the 06-07 trucks came with an aluminum case so it wouldnt deform and break the clip inside. i mean, i guess its possible it still did but much rarer on those trucks. i would have expected more mileage on it.

you might want to look for a bad/broke mid plate or bell housing. i wonder if he had a u-joint go. that would explain the t-case and trans issues.
I thought the LMMs where when they switched to the aluminum case

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Im thinking transgo and a new converter for this truck.. Anyone know of a converter that will last a long long time on a 350rwhp max tow truck thay doesent cost $1,500+?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
LMM switched to BW mfg, the 06-07 was the only year that got the aluminum case NP. 180-200k sounds right for the aluminum. the mags only would get 80-120k before they had issues. gassers got longer out of them due to them having less torque.

its possible some early model 06 trucks didnt get the aluminum but i doubt it.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
LMM switched to BW mfg, the 06-07 was the only year that got the aluminum case NP. 180-200k sounds right for the aluminum. the mags only would get 80-120k before they had issues. gassers got longer out of them due to them having less torque.

I did notice this truck has the 4x4 shifter in the floor. I dont seen that often? This truck is actually an 07 I forgot to mention that I think

Reactions: MAXX IT OUT

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020

My 06 had about 130,000 on it when I put the pump rub kit in. Clip had already broke and there was a hole rubbed halfway through the housing. So It proly woulda crapped out around that 180k range or maybe before even

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

My mag case made it all the way to 321k miles before it got a pump rub kit installed. I bought the truck from the original owner and was the first to crack it open. Everything looked great inside and the there was minimal wear in the case.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Im guessing a lml converter with a transgo junior would hold 450 pretty reliably. If I wanted a 150 tune on the tow truck just for goofin off if i was ever drivin it without the trailer?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Im guessing a lml converter with a transgo junior would hold 450 pretty reliably. If I wanted a 150 tune on the tow truck just for goofin off if i was ever drivin it without the trailer?
you dont know that the internals of the trans look like. As mike told me many times, the transgo jr was good for a new stock trans, when you add miles to the trans (and specially since you dont know the history), you are playing with fire.

if you dont mind taking the chance and just want to see what happens, its worth rolling the dice. if you want to set it and forget it, id tear that trans down.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
you dont know that the internals of the trans look like. As mike told me many times, the transgo jr was good for a new stock trans, when you add miles to the trans (and specially since you dont know the history), you are playing with fire.

if you dont mind taking the chance and just want to see what happens, its worth rolling the dice. if you want to set it and forget it, id tear that trans down.
Amen. Nobody knows what it looks like. For ~$50 in gaskets a guy can easily rip all the clutches out and inspect. If they look good slap it back together, if there's issues then it's time for upgrades.