2023 Duramax?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Also I’m not one that believes everything i see on the internet.

That’s good cause you probably won’t find it on the net within a forum or fb. You’re gunna need to do some digging to conclude your own hypothesis since a lot of guys that have this pertinent info put a lot of effort in to backward engineer this 10 speed and gain the knowledge they have. They won’t just Willy nilly give it up becuase one guy doesn’t believe them. The info is out there, it’s a matter of putting the pieces together.

I’ve personally seen the info to conclude they are damn near identical and it follows what’s been said about them.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
That’s good cause you probably won’t find it on the net within a forum or fb. You’re gunna need to do some digging to conclude your own hypothesis since a lot of guys that have this pertinent info put a lot of effort in to backward engineer this 10 speed and gain the knowledge they have. They won’t just Willy nilly give it up becuase one guy doesn’t believe them. The info is out there, it’s a matter of putting the pieces together.

I’ve personally seen the info to conclude they are damn near identical and it follows what’s been said about them.
Well i just pushed a 2020 L5P project in the shop that was hit very hard on the right front. Broke the transmission case and flywheel housing so will be putting a new trans in. Getting totally rebuilt with new frame and all. Maybe i will pull the trans all apart just for the anyhow since its junk. Then I’ll need a Ford to tear apart LOL.

bigdave_185

Jul 13, 2016
Ogden, Utah
I’d like to see a higher GVWR on these tow monsters.
I’d like to see the Engine brake more similar to an actual big rig where it activated when I lift off my pedal instead of touching the brake as the two systems are not related in my opinion.

At least they fixed the wheel well size to allow for larger tire size with out stupid lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
The 2020 exhaust brake is weak, IMO. I felt the 15-19 trucks all had a good exhaust brake/grade braking combo. The 10 speeds don’t seem to be as aggressive in downshifting. I do like the new specs as far as cabin space, wheel base, and the like.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Turbo brake seems pretty damn good to me. I’m about 25-26k loaded down at gross and I don’t have to touch the brakes if I don’t want to. Let that bitch rev, it will slow you in a hurry. I’ve seen 4500rpm without issue. Running down the passes between Durango and Silverton, I’m constantly up shifting and downshifting 1 gear to hold speed. Never touched the brakes. Your down to 15-20mph in some areas for a couple miles due to curves and my buddy with his cummins was burning his brakes up becuase the trans keeps the converter unlocked in 1st and it’s too low enough, 2nd is too high and offers no help in grade braking. My old truck was the same way and no turbo brake. That suuuuucked.

I do agree the 10 speed doesn’t get very aggressive on down shifts for grade braking if you are not using cruise control. It seems to use the same shift strategy of the 6 speed but since you don’t have as large of gear jumps when down shifting, doesn’t work as well.

The plus side is when I’m unloaded and truck goes into grade braking down a hill, it’s much smoother and not overly aggressive like the 6 speeds were.

If you turn cruise control on and let it control grade braking, it does a pretty damn good job at it. You get about 2-3mph swing out of it but I don’t see an issue there.

Reactions: dmax_ty

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

James pretty much knows as much as I do about the 10 speed which is a lot. We used his truck for testing and he was/is heavily involved with the project.
Next project:
Evan and I are going racing with a Ford F150 SC Coyote and 10 speed trans.

Reactions: countrycorey

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
James pretty much knows as much as I do about the 10 speed which is a lot. We used his truck for testing and he was/is heavily involved with the project.
Next project:
Evan and I are going racing with a Ford F150 SC Coyote and 10 speed trans.
doing anything to the transmission before hand? or to see how it goes in stock form?

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
Turbo brake seems pretty damn good to me. I’m about 25-26k loaded down at gross and I don’t have to touch the brakes if I don’t want to. Let that bitch rev, it will slow you in a hurry. I’ve seen 4500rpm without issue. Running down the passes between Durango and Silverton, I’m constantly up shifting and downshifting 1 gear to hold speed. Never touched the brakes. Your down to 15-20mph in some areas for a couple miles due to curves and my buddy with his cummins was burning his brakes up becuase the trans keeps the converter unlocked in 1st and it’s too low enough, 2nd is too high and offers no help in grade braking. My old truck was the same way and no turbo brake. That suuuuucked.

I do agree the 10 speed doesn’t get very aggressive on down shifts for grade braking if you are not using cruise control. It seems to use the same shift strategy of the 6 speed but since you don’t have as large of gear jumps when down shifting, doesn’t work as well.

The plus side is when I’m unloaded and truck goes into grade braking down a hill, it’s much smoother and not overly aggressive like the 6 speeds were.

If you turn cruise control on and let it control grade braking, it does a pretty damn good job at it. You get about 2-3mph swing out of it but I don’t see an issue there.
I got cha. I’m more going off of word of mouth than any real seat time in the new trucks. Are you still liking yours, James?
I’m going to be in the market around the time the 23s come out I believe. Ah who the hell am I kidding. I’m always in the market.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I got cha. I’m more going off of word of mouth than any real seat time in the new trucks. Are you still liking yours, James?
I’m going to be in the market around the time the 23s come out I believe. Ah who the hell am I kidding. I’m always in the market.
i cant complain about mine. There is something to say about the simplicity of the old trucks vs the new ones.

i will say that for me being someone that came from a truck that was 20 years older, there is many leaps and bounds of improvements from then. That may play a part into why i feel the trucks are so good. im not as able to nit pick the truck apart as say, someone that owned a LML, then 17-19 L5P, then the 2020+. But at the same time, i feel what they state is very nit picky and takes away from the overall performance and tech these things have.

for engine and drivetrain, the grass was greener on the other side. the way it pulls is just awesome. for interior and tech inside, im just not a guy that likes all the nannies and lights and my god do i hate the seats in this thing. im 165lbs with not a whole lot of ass, these fuckers are like bricks compared to my 02. i keep hoping they will break in but at 20k miles, dont seem like it. Someone else that may like the tech they come with may very much enjoy that, there is decent stuff to keep a guy entertained lol. specially if get into them like some of bens stuff lets you do (if you can get anything from him).

Reactions: dmax_ty

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
I’m hoping they update the seats with the refresh. Those babies are BRUTAL. My 18 was extremely comfy as far as seats go. I still think the 17-19s look better. I like how much room the 2020+ trucks have. I’m hoping this damn car price bubble pops and we can find something for a decent price. Used trucks are selling for more when they were brand new and even more than the 2022 trucks.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I’m open for pointers to where the information is. I did some google searching and all i found pretty much was about the 1500 transmissions. Everything i find on forums and the like is someone saying yes this is the way it is and the next person no this is the way it is. I believe you but without some good evidence or facts i will still have doubt be it one way or the other. Ive been wanting to know the “truth” for quit awhile on this subject but just never took the time to really search deep. Also I’m not one that believes everything i see on the internet.
if you don't believe everything on the net at least trust Mike L. he has access to people and information that we could only dream of. he's a straight shooter and knows his shit. so if he says it is then it is

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’m hoping they update the seats with the refresh. Those babies are BRUTAL. My 18 was extremely comfy as far as seats go. I still think the 17-19s look better. I like how much room the 2020+ trucks have. I’m hoping this damn car price bubble pops and we can find something for a decent price. Used trucks are selling for more when they were brand new and even more than the 2022 trucks.

My buddies 19’s seats feel the same to me. Same with my dads 15. The 15 might feel better but that truck has 80k on it now.

I’m just partial to the 01-07 seats I guess lol. I had 220k of seat time in there and never had the foam die or broke the springs in the seat bottom. That’s a rarity but just tells you the lack of ass I got

• Haha
Reactions: Bdsankey