Bad trans Mount???

CCLB06

Jan 4, 2020
Ohio
Am I crazy or does it look like my transmission is leaning?
I had my truck on the rack getting my kryptonite idler support gusset getting welded in when I noticed this.
Would it be a bad driver side engine mount or bad transmission mount.

Attachments

• 90B0805F-2D57-4F98-9D39-33064650925D.jpeg
    90B0805F-2D57-4F98-9D39-33064650925D.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 26D2DDFE-05BF-4DF7-99BC-F9EB45696558.jpeg
    26D2DDFE-05BF-4DF7-99BC-F9EB45696558.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 11FE0658-54E5-4B71-86F3-01B6F8D2761A.jpeg
    11FE0658-54E5-4B71-86F3-01B6F8D2761A.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 69

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Are you positive those are the issue? I don’t believe my engine rocks when I give it fuel. I’ll have to double check to make sure though.

put it on a frame rack and make sure your frame is straight, also replace the lower control arm brace because that is bent and your trans cross member. It could just be the angle of the picture but something looks off

CCLB06

Jan 4, 2020
Ohio
put it on a frame rack and make sure your frame is straight, also replace the lower control arm brace because that is bent and your trans cross member. It could just be the angle of the picture but something looks off

I bent the lower control arm brace ( put a jack on it like an idiot ). It is definitely leaning I’ll start with new trans mount and see what that does. The truck does have 280k miles so I’m sure that needs replaced. The truck has never been in an accident so I doubt the frame is bent.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Here’s a video of me testing to see if my engine mounts are bad. What do you guys think?

Assuming that is just hitting the throttle in neutral/park? There seems to be a decent amount of movement (more than I would like). Try putting it in gear and doing a brake stand and see what it does, that's where the issues usually are extremely obvious.

CCLB06

Jan 4, 2020
Ohio
Assuming that is just hitting the throttle in neutral/park? There seems to be a decent amount of movement (more than I would like). Try putting it in gear and doing a brake stand and see what it does, that's where the issues usually are extremely obvious.

Sorry I should have mentioned this was done in Drive while standing on the brakes

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
boost it up harder

a trans mount is not going to fix that lean but ill bet is shot if you put decent miles on it with that much lean. Your driver side mount is shot and you may have metal mount issues as well. there are 2 very long bolts that hold the bottom motor mount adapter plate to the frame. make sure those are there and tight. i would mock up a new engine mount in the truck, take weight off and see if it fixes the lean. if it doesnt, you need to look much harder at the engine mount at the frame.

CCLB06

Jan 4, 2020
Ohio
boost it up harder

a trans mount is not going to fix that lean but ill bet is shot if you put decent miles on it with that much lean. Your driver side mount is shot and you may have metal mount issues as well. there are 2 very long bolts that hold the bottom motor mount adapter plate to the frame. make sure those are there and tight. i would mock up a new engine mount in the truck, take weight off and see if it fixes the lean. if it doesnt, you need to look much harder at the engine mount at the frame.

I don’t doubt the engine mounts are wore out. The truck has 280k miles.What leads you to believe I have metal mount issues?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don’t doubt the engine mounts are wore out. The truck has 280k miles.What leads you to believe I have metal mount issues?

A. im not there to inspect it
B. thats a shit load of lean and a bad motor mount usually doesnt cause lean, just clunking from the engine moving. if the mount is missing a bunch of rubber, that can explain it.
C. you put a motor mount in and still has the lean, you will be right back in there again.

covering all the bases as all we can do is go off the info you provide.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

I've most certainly seen motor mounts bad with less miles. Miles doesn't mean anything. Runtime, usage, storage environment etc all effect the rate at which the rubber deteriorates. You have a ton of motor movement, that comes from a bad motor mount or a loose motor mount (hardware gone type loose).

Not to sound rude, you came to a forum to seek knowledge and then immediately turn around and pass it off as false.

CCLB06

Jan 4, 2020
Ohio
A. im not there to inspect it
B. thats a shit load of lean and a bad motor mount usually doesnt cause lean, just clunking from the engine moving. if the mount is missing a bunch of rubber, that can explain it.
C. you put a motor mount in and still has the lean, you will be right back in there again.

covering all the bases as all we can do is go off the info you provide.

i understand! I guess a starting point would be to inspect the mounts and the mounting points of the frame.

Are these trucks known for busting the motor mounts on the frame side? As far as I am aware the truck has never been in an accident.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i understand! I guess a starting point would be to inspect the mounts and the mounting points of the frame.

Are these trucks known for busting the motor mounts on the frame side? As far as I am aware the truck has never been in an accident.

no but those bolts i warned you about have been known to come loose and who knows what other damage may be there. it doesnt hurt to inspect.

CCLB06

Jan 4, 2020
Ohio
no but those bolts i warned you about have been known to come loose and who knows what other damage may be there. it doesnt hurt to inspect.

Alright I’ll check them out. On a scale of 1-10, how difficult are they to replace? I’m pretty mechanically inclined so I try to do all of the work I can myself. I have the necessary tools to do the job besides and engine hoist.

Any tips you can give me would be much appreciated!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
a good chunk of wood between a jack and the engine midplate will lift the engine high enough without damaging anything. then its a matter of pulling the inner fender, pulling the steering shaft, intercooler tube and maybe a few other things to get to the mount. Then you have to fight the 3 bolts that hold the mount to the frame adapter. might need heat on them as the red loctite is pretty damn strong on those (speially if you have rust issues) and ive personally broke a few bolts off removing them (in a non rust belt state).

CCLB06

Jan 4, 2020
Ohio
a good chunk of wood between a jack and the engine midplate will lift the engine high enough without damaging anything. then its a matter of pulling the inner fender, pulling the steering shaft, intercooler tube and maybe a few other things to get to the mount. Then you have to fight the 3 bolts that hold the mount to the frame adapter. might need heat on them as the red loctite is pretty damn strong on those (speially if you have rust issues) and ive personally broke a few bolts off removing them (in a non rust belt state).

Same procedure for the passenger side too? Which side is easier? I’ll be doing both sides regardless, I’m thinking the merchant automotive mounts as well.