New owner need some tips

TheNewGuy78

Jun 1, 2021
I am a new owner 2019 duramax. I was thinking of getting a Banks Derringer tuner for it. But I've heard that it cannot be used unless you do the full ecm swap is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I don't believe you have to do anything to the ECM. Its all plug and play. If I understand it correctly, all it does is trick the sensors or adjust the sensors output to cause the ECM to "over or under compensate"

Reactions: TheNewGuy78

goodis

Oct 26, 2015
Banks Derringer is plug and play. It connects via OBDII port and 2 connections under the hood. It can easily be unplugged for any dealer service if desired. I installed on on my 2018 L5P. I would seriously consider adding the pedal monster to get maximum impact and gains. I added the derringer and 6 months later added the pedal monster. Huge difference.

Reactions: TheNewGuy78

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The monster pedal does nothing but rescale your throttle so at 10% throttle, you have 20% commanded by the ecm.

Literally does nothing else for more power or let you unlock any other additional things.

Push the throttle harder, does the same shit

TheNewGuy78

Jun 1, 2021
The monster pedal does nothing but rescale your throttle so at 10% throttle, you have 20% commanded by the ecm.

Literally does nothing else for more power or let you unlock any other additional things.

I'm good at pushing the pedal. Thank you

goodis

Oct 26, 2015

Agreed, it adds zero to power level, however it does eliminate the dead pedal when pulling onto a highway. I used to have to wait for a few seconds when flooring it to merge into interstate traffic (45-70 mph). With the boost in throttle, that dead pause between hitting the throttle and response by the engine was removed. To me, it was worth the better response but hey...YMMV. Just personal preference.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Agreed, it adds zero to power level, however it does eliminate the dead pedal when pulling onto a highway. I used to have to wait for a few seconds when flooring it to merge into interstate traffic (45-70 mph). With the boost in throttle, that dead pause between hitting the throttle and response by the engine was removed. To me, it was worth the better response but hey...YMMV. Just personal preference.

roll into the throttle, does the same thing. all the monster pedal did was progress the throttle instead of showing a 100% throttle input immediately.

You literally can do everything the monster pedal can do if you put a little thought into WHY their fooler works.

TheNewGuy78

Jun 1, 2021
Another question. I just installed the i dash derringer today and truck went to reduced power mode and threw multiple codes 0191,00E6,0108,0193,0335,127d. Erased with my obd scan tool and they came back after a few miles. Had no power that whole time WTH
Unplugged everything and it still has the codes after erasing them. Any ideas? Did i do something wrong? Thanks all.

goodis

Oct 26, 2015
Another question. I just installed the i dash derringer today and truck went to reduced power mode and threw multiple codes 0191,00E6,0108,0193,0335,127d. Erased with my obd scan tool and they came back after a few miles. Had no power that whole time WTH
Unplugged everything and it still has the codes after erasing them. Any ideas? Did i do something wrong? Thanks all.
So sorry to hear things didn't go as planned. I would just call Banks and ask them since it is their product. Anything can be made with a defect and this may already be something they are aware of. It may save you some time trying to figure it out ??There customer service is pretty good and although I have only ever used Banks products on this L5P, they have performed exactly as advertised.
Maybe double check the two connections under the hood to ensure they are aligned and pushed in and locked? Were there any difficulties aligning and pushing connections together that may have bent a pin? Just guessing here.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
sounds like you left power on when you installed it. a better scanner may be needed to actually clear the codes. those codes all indicate towards the stuff you messed with

TheNewGuy78

Jun 1, 2021
Thanks everyone. I did have the batteries unhooked but I apparently did not update to current firmware and one connection may have been loose. Did that this morning hooked it up and seems to be working great. Thanks again.