LMM fan options?

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I starting to fit the stack (radiator, trans/steering cooler and intercooler) on my Humvee/LMM conversion and there is not much room for a fan, I have seen other conversions use cut down OEM fans but I only have enough clearance for an 18" fan and that does not leave much blade because of the size of the clutch, not even sure this conversion needs a clutch as the Humvee does not draft worth squat, even in the mid 50s my other stock M998 needs the hydraulic operated clutch to cool at highway speeds.
I have considered electric puller fans but the specs on them is confusing at best and many times look like BS.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I would venture that electric fans won’t move enough air for you.

however lookup a 06 hummer h1 Dmax and see what they came from the factory with

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Thanks, but this conversion has nothing at all to do with a factory H1, I am sure I did everything differently, they had much more capital to do allot more retooling, I also have no idea where to start there seems to be very little information about the Dmax H1 other than they de-tuned it so they could use the NP242 transfer case.
It looks like the "hub" or pulley would lend itself to many possible modifications by a decent machine shop if necessary.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I’m just saying look at a factory fan setup and see if you can make it work.

otherwise Waid wolf makes a solid hub, that I’m sure he could modify to fit other fan blades for a fee.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Also 30 seconds on google found the old part numbers.

I’ll let you search from here.

Attachments

• 016CCDCE-40FC-4215-9D01-DEFD56BD0B06.png
    016CCDCE-40FC-4215-9D01-DEFD56BD0B06.png
    520.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 1A6CBD40-ECB9-4F9C-A7C0-EA4BCE1D9963.png
    1A6CBD40-ECB9-4F9C-A7C0-EA4BCE1D9963.png
    524.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 98FC94AF-582E-4210-AEFE-6DD804F2D915.png
    98FC94AF-582E-4210-AEFE-6DD804F2D915.png
    536.4 KB · Views: 12

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Also 30 seconds on google found the old part numbers.

I’ll let you search from here.
Was the Dmax the only H1 built in 2006? looks like the parts are not available anyway, what I found when looking for motor mounts, I am having no luck searching for Waid wolf

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Was the Dmax the only H1 built in 2006? looks like the parts are not available anyway, what I found when looking for motor mounts, I am having no luck searching for Waid wolf
WolfLMM

Waid is also a vendor here.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Are you sure 18" is all you can fit? Even the 6.5l used a 20" fan blade, and they were barely enough. Electric fans are NOT up to the task. IF you can find a 99+ 20" steel fan blade(believe they were 9 blades) off of a 6.5l, that would be the highest flow smallest diameter fan I can think of. Most are going to the 01-05 Duramax 21" fan blade simply because that is all that is available.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013

sorry I wasn’t trying to be a dick. I ASSumed that you had done your research on hummer Dmax before starting this swap.

mad far as I know 2006 was the only year for a hummer Duramax from the factory. They are very desirable and very expensive.

yes those parts are unavailable, however you should be able to search those part numbers ans find either a factory replacement or an aftermarket matching option.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Are you sure 18" is all you can fit? Even the 6.5l used a 20" fan blade, and they were barely enough. Electric fans are NOT up to the task. IF you can find a 99+ 20" steel fan blade(believe they were 9 blades) off of a 6.5l, that would be the highest flow smallest diameter fan I can think of. Most are going to the 01-05 Duramax 21" fan blade simply because that is all that is available.
Because the water pump suction is on the driver side on the LMM it has to cross over the front differential so yes an 18" fan is all that will fit, I also have my engine lower in the chassis so I can use a 2" body lift instead of a 3 1/2 - 4" lift like the other conversions which IMHO looks like crap unless another ton of money is spent on 20+" wheels and tires at which point it no longer looks like a HMMWV anyway. I may need to see if I can re-design the suction line. The 6.5L was a poor design with several cooling issues to begin with, I am also using an aluminum radiator which is superior to the OEM (HMMWV) copper unit.

Last edited:

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
sorry I wasn’t trying to be a dick. I ASSumed that you had done your research on hummer Dmax before starting this swap.

mad far as I know 2006 was the only year for a hummer Duramax from the factory. They are very desirable and very expensive.

yes those parts are unavailable, however you should be able to search those part numbers ans find either a factory replacement or an aftermarket matching option.
Did not thing you were trying to be a dick, yes I looked at the factory one and nothing was available( as far as parts go), they obviously did a TON of redesign to get it in there, I also looked at several other conversions and did not like them, for 50 years I have been "rolling my own" and sometimes it does cause problems but that is just the way I am, "This too shall pass away"

Last edited:

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I did find a 20" 11 blade fan and clutch (2000 6.5L) that could be cut down, ordered the clutch just to see if it has the same threads as the hub as I could not find that info.
EDIT looks like the 6.5L fan might fit on the LMM clutch so I ordered one, also I moved the hoses around a bit and think I can fit a 19" fan so it will not take much trimming on the 20" fan

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I did find a 20" 11 blade fan and clutch (2000 6.5L) that could be cut down, ordered the clutch just to see if it has the same threads as the hub as I could not find that info.
EDIT looks like the 6.5L fan might fit on the LMM clutch so I ordered one, also I moved the hoses around a bit and think I can fit a 19" fan so it will not take much trimming on the 20" fan
That 20" steel blade fan is a holy grail amongst the 6.5ers. Some were willing to pay $200 for them at one time as it was the only fan that fit the 99+ shroud correctly.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
That 20" steel blade fan is a holy grail amongst the 6.5ers. Some were willing to pay $200 for them at one time as it was the only fan that fit the 99+ shroud correctly.
This one is after market and plastic, the one referenced above was a 9 blade I believe, not going to chop up a classic fan

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Because the water pump suction is on the driver side on the LMM it has to cross over the front differential so yes an 18" fan is all that will fit, I also have my engine lower in the chassis so I can use a 2" body lift instead of a 3 1/2 - 4" lift like the other conversions which IMHO looks like crap unless another ton of money is spent on 20+" wheels and tires at which point it no longer looks like a HMMWV anyway. I may need to see if I can re-design the suction line. The 6.5L was a poor design with several cooling issues to begin with, I am also using an aluminum radiator which is superior to the OEM (HMMWV) copper unit.

Is it an option to switch the outlet on the rad to the other side?

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
If you have the room do to it, you can flip the top half of the thermostat housing around and run the upper hose to the passenger side, then the suction could go on the drivers side. You would have to modify your radiator or get a diffrent one, but I think you would be better off in the long run.

Edit, just was looking at some photos, probably modify a van thermostat housing

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakezed22