In need of new tires

strummer

Oct 22, 2015
Care to explain why? Just curious what you prefer about the toyo over them

I’m just not happy with them . They don’t do as good on wet roads then the Toyos . Don’t hold up as well for me . I do a lot of gravel road driving and it eats them up faster. They seem to be a lot heavier too .

Reactions: zakkb787

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I’m just not happy with them . They don’t do as good on wet roads then the Toyos . Don’t hold up as well for me . I do a lot of gravel road driving and it eats them up faster. They seem to be a lot heavier too .
Thanks for the reply. I’d probably go Toyos anyway on my next set

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Personally only good set of tires I had from toyo were the 420's. Other than the first set of toyo MT's that my dad ran back in like 2008 those were great and lasted a long time. They look the best to but his 2nd set of them they only lasted about 13k miles. Last set was some Toyo AT2 and they would never balance ever. My boss had the same problem with her toyo's as well. Switched to Nitto AT's and much quieter, last longer and dont have any balancing issues.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I have ran lots of different MT tires, Toyo, Goodyear, Coopers, BFGs, etc. What I realized is that the VAST majority of the time, I would be stuck whether I had MTs or not. I get stuck regularly, and as we all know, these trucks are beyond worthless off road. It took me a little while to realize that if I am going to get stuck anyway, why put up with a tire that is crazy noisy (don’t fool yourself, ALL MT tires are noisy), floats all over going down the road, reduces mpg, and reduces acceleration and performance due to the weight, and to top it off, costs much more than a decent AT tire?? So I started running AT tires and couldn’t be happier. Sure sometimes I have to let all the air out of my tires or have a buddy yank me out when I get stuck, but it’s so much better than dealing with MTs every day. My two cents. . . .

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I have ran lots of different MT tires, Toyo, Goodyear, Coopers, BFGs, etc. What I realized is that the VAST majority of the time, I would be stuck whether I had MTs or not. I get stuck regularly, and as we all know, these trucks are beyond worthless off road. It took me a little while to realize that if I am going to get stuck anyway, why put up with a tire that is crazy noisy (don’t fool yourself, ALL MT tires are noisy), floats all over going down the road, reduces mpg, and reduces acceleration and performance due to the weight, and to top it off, costs much more than a decent AT tire?? So I started running AT tires and couldn’t be happier. Sure sometimes I have to let all the air out of my tires or have a buddy yank me out when I get stuck, but it’s so much better than dealing with MTs every day. My two cents. . . .

Dirt pretty sandy where you are? The is a huge difference in an MT and an AT here with our clays. I’ve been stuck in wet grass with ATs. I also have had to put my truck in 4wd when guys with MT are driving around in 2wd. Stuck is stuck, but I would rather have tires that will dig my truck down to the frame then cake up and start slipping. I’m also an in the dirt and mud almost every day too though.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I'm not in the mud very often, I'd rather have an AT for the snow. These Hankook RF10's have been great but it looks like Hankook is killing them off. Will probably go with the Toyo AT2 when the time comes, or the BFG Ko2 (never ran them but hear good stories). Old man seems to like his Toyo AT2s.

I've ran Nitro Terras a couple time but not since the G2s came out, had a set of the Nitto Trail Graps but they were too soft and didn't wear great

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I'm not in the mud very often, I'd rather have an AT for the snow. These Hankook RF10's have been great but it looks like Hankook is killing them off. Will probably go with the Toyo AT2 when the time comes, or the BFG Ko2 (never ran them but hear good stories). Old man seems to like his Toyo AT2s.

I've ran Nitro Terras a couple time but not since the G2s came out, had a set of the Nitto Trail Graps but they were too soft and didn't wear great
I think toyo is killing off the AT2 since the AT3 came out. Just looking at tread pattern itself I feel like it’ll be a better performing tire. Corbin said he hated his AT2s in the rain whenever I was asking about tires before I got my ridge graps. I haven’t heard anything bad about the g2 vs the original terra graps but they’ve been out long enough now that if they weren’t as good we probably would have seen something about it. I’m always iffy about ko2s. One person will say they’re the quietest tire ever and get 100k out of a set. The next person will say they’re louder than an MT and they got 10k out of a set. Not enough consistency for me to drop that much on a set of tires.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Had to replace my tires a couple years ago, and the only tires available at Discount that day were a house brand, Pathfinder AT. I was hesitant to buy, but the 10yr old Hankooks were cracked and checked and really weren't safe to drive long distances anymore so I had to.

I have been pleasantly surprised by these tires. Not loud, good traction in snow/dirt.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
by far, the Falken AT3's have been my favorite all terrain. quiet, great wear, great traction off road, and one of the lighter tires in equal comparison to others.

Mud is not really a thing out here other than this week lol. i went from 33" cooper stt pros on 17 walker wheels that weighed 106lbs each to american racing 15" wheels and these falken 33's which are 81lbs each. massive difference in on road performance with the reduction in unsprung weight. may not be real noticable on a heavy truck but 100lbs there is like 1000lbs off the whole car. they are on the wifes canyon as well.

if going AT, id highly recommend looking at them. price point is good too.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
by far, the Falken AT3's have been my favorite all terrain. quiet, great wear, great traction off road, and one of the lighter tires in equal comparison to others.

Mud is not really a thing out here other than this week lol. i went from 33" cooper stt pros on 17 walker wheels that weighed 106lbs each to american racing 15" wheels and these falken 33's which are 81lbs each. massive difference in on road performance with the reduction in unsprung weight. may not be real noticable on a heavy truck but 100lbs there is like 1000lbs off the whole car. they are on the wifes canyon as well.

if going AT, id highly recommend looking at them. price point is good too.
Had these on my f150. Absolutely no complaints. Quiet and smooth but still look good

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I think toyo is killing off the AT2 since the AT3 came out. Just looking at tread pattern itself I feel like it’ll be a better performing tire. Rubin said he hated his AT2s in the rain whenever I was asking about tires before I got my ridge graps. I haven’t heard anything bad about the g2 vs the original terra graps but they’ve been out long enough now that if they weren’t as good we probably would have seen something about it. I’m always iffy about ko2s. One person will say they’re the quietest tire ever and get 100k out of a set. The next person will say they’re louder than an MT and they got 10k out of a set. Not enough consistency for me to drop that much on a set of tires.

I figured Toyo would get rid of them eventually, but they still list a ton of sizes available. Hankook has very few sizes for the RF10 now

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Dirt pretty sandy where you are? The is a huge difference in an MT and an AT here with our clays. I’ve been stuck in wet grass with ATs. I also have had to put my truck in 4wd when guys with MT are driving around in 2wd. Stuck is stuck, but I would rather have tires that will dig my truck down to the frame then cake up and start slipping. I’m also an in the dirt and mud almost every day too though.

Varies widely, clay, loamy, around the property there’s a lot of black dirt. I’ve been stuck in wet grass with MTs lol. I’m not saying that there isn’t an advantage to a mud tire, just that to me there isn’t enough to put up with all the negative attributes of them. There are guys, probably like yourself that run off-road every day and they are a Necessity. But for me, even though I’m off-road frequently, they are not worth it for the marginally better traction you get in certain situations. Like an old timer once told me, mud tires just get you stuck further away from the road lol!

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Just some random info from experience.. I really liked my old style cooper stt's before the pro version came out they were great all around, didn't like the looks of the stt pros so never tried them. My toyo MT's were also a great all around MT, but were completely bald in 25K miles due to my bad driving habits. My toyo AT2's lasted maybe 50K and were smooth but didn't look all that good imo and after about half tread they were dangerous in the rain, and when I say dangerous I mean causing 2 or 3 of the closest calls to a bad accident Ive ever had, never again! My nitto ridge grapplers are hands down the best tires Ive ever owned, 60K miles of my bad driving habits and excellent traction all around and they look great. I'm on my second set and don't ever care to buy anything else for a pick-up truck.